Grade 12 happiness
Today I taught my first lesson with two different grade 12 classes. I have to say, I already like them better than the grade 10s because they seem more respectful. I also liked how some of them thought I was an actual teacher and not a student at the school ... Quite different from the grade 10s who were always asking "how old are you?" or then otherwise ignoring me. Of course, they'll never be those fabulous grade 9s I had, but that was a dream class and I don't think you get to experience those that often. Back to the 12s, I honestly wasn't sure what to expect since they weren't an "academic" class, just applied, which is now called college level, which makes going to college seem not so great, when it really isn't so- BUT they were great and if I hadn't have known I would have thought they were in a "university level" English. I do think it's dumb to seperate the two class under these names "college" and "university" because giving it one of those you automatically assume something about the person taking it. Which is what I did...Like if the student is taking the college English you'll think, oh maybe they aren't such a good student... Which isn't true (sometimes). There's nothing wrong with going to college even though most people think it's the easy way out. But then how do I know, I go to university and yeah I do get annoyed when people say "teacher's college" because it isn't that. York is not a college and I'm not in teacher's college. I'm in a university level program! See there I go again thinking that anything associated with college is "lower" than university! I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone...Anyways who cares, tomorrow I start my school again and I have tons of work to do. And now I shall go start.
7 Comments:
At 8:30 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
interesting
i left a msg happy lol
At 5:02 p.m.,
Nauman said…
College isn't bad at all... this coming from a guy who goes to Ryerson University which is a school that tries its best to shed its college past! "It's a university, not a college!". :)
At 6:15 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
where do u get time to do this?
remember to do my stuff now that i have done urs okay?
Love Gagan
At 7:10 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I'm not saying college is bad, I don't think it is, a lot of smart people go there (not you lol), I'm just saying people tend to think university is better and thats why the grade 12 classes are divided into these 2 areas one being for university bound academic students and one for college bound applied students.
At 7:12 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Gagan I'll try to remember but my parents aren't home so if I forget it's not my fault. Remind me later! And I find the time, not because I'm not busy, I AM VERY BUSY, but because I think however busy you are you need to make some time for yourself to do whatever, whether that be watching tv or talking on the phone or adding to your blog!
At 11:34 p.m.,
nat said…
I think college is more hands on than university, so I hear, and university is a lot of reading.. I havent done anything hands on since I've started uni, no field research no presentations.. its a lot of reading reading and more reading. I'm not sure how this is going to help me though, lol i've heard stories where even people with a uni degree are working at pizzaria's - thats so scary!
At 12:31 a.m.,
'liya said…
Hmm I'd have to disagree with you there, I have done so much hands on stuff it's crazy. Like art yeah of course my hands are dirty with paint or something practically everyday, but even for my English courses there's always presentations. Worst of all is for my teaching English class - we have to make a book! Yeah it is also LOTS of reading but you know what, sadly, I somehow just never really get to finish that reading.. And I really want to! For my Shakespeare course we've gone through 8 plays and I havent read a single one! I really want to, but when?
Post a Comment
<< Home