To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Friday, May 20, 2005

my relationship with the GROUND..

Me and the ground are one. I know my place and it knows me. Oh I feel so poetic! Confused? Don't be! Everybody has a relationship with the ground! Yes the ground, like underneath your feet*

Okay, so it's been a week and I haven't let my bloggy go that far without saying something before, but I've been busy and I've also been well, resting!
Resting in the sense that I'm watching a lot of tv... maybe... hey I'm also reading and looking for a job!

Monday - was a my last day, my teacher gave me some beautiful flowers and it made me realize, you know what I've never gotten flowers before as a gift like that, like in a pretty vase, roses don't count (sorry V). It was made up really nice and wrapped really big and just looked well very elegant! She gave me lilies and she said it's because if I were a flower I'd look like a lily, isn't that so sweet! "Sighhh" V doesn't even say stuff like that to me! Speaking of which, I haven't gotten flowers from that certain someone in a while (that's supposed to be a hint!) ... I DO like flowers, and I'm sure every girls does.

My flowers (with one missing cause my brother kept picking at it till it died)



Also went to Tanya's house, haven't seen her in ages! We watched the season finale of Everybody Loves Raymond, I'm definitely going to miss that show, it was one of the best because it's so realistic (my family really is quite similar to his) which is scary. And this wasn't even a season finale it was the end of it forever as we know it (except for reruns which I'll be watching for the next couple of years over and over just like FRIENDS).

Tuesday - I spent job hunting and applied to a couple of jobs related to teaching. I figure I should probably do something in my field, and next week I have an interview already! I'm a little nervous not for the interview (how can I be, I just taught a unit by myself on that stuff!) but for the travelling part. It's in Toronto and I've never taken the Go Train by myself. I feel confident on the bus but the train is a different thing. I also feel okay on the subway but there's no point of me taking that unless I go to York first but then I'd have to pay twice... and after everything I went through just to get a student discount nah...

Wednesday - LOL I was about to say I don't even remember what happened but now I do.... V!!! Yup great day and nice company hehe. Well I don't want to say much on that just that it sort of ended on a sour note, but I guess we made up for that or did we not? The whole day in general was probably the best out of the entire week. PLUS I got home just in time for the season finale of America's Next Top Model! It was a dramatic tie between Naima and Kahlan - both girls that I loved (all the others were blah) and I knew it would be one of them...

These are my favourite pics of Naima:





And these were the ones I thought were the best of Kahlen's:





Really they should have both won.. but I'm happy with Naima, plus I love her name (is it Arabic?). This last show also took place in Cape Town! They went up on Table Mountain and said it was like heaven!

Thursday - Okay this is sort of odd I really don't remember what I did yesterday!

Friday - That's today! lol. I went to mosque with my dad, didn't like it at all though cause we went to Cooper's and the guy speaking was horrible, you could barely understand him. My dad just wanted to go there cause it was closest and he didn't have time to drive us to Taric. Next time he promised he will take me and my sister there though and I would much much rather go there.

Saturday - That's tomorrow! Hmm how will my long weekend be? Only God knows! Inshallah it will be a good one!

So... this has been my first free week since I ended teaching and I don't think it went too bad. Overall I slept in practically everyday and just lounged about (while getting work done too!). It's had its good and bad points, a couple of fights but also a couple of laughs and love. I've set 3 main goals for myself this summer:

1) Get a job - if I don't have one by the end of the month it's byebye Brampton and hello Oakville. Yeah I'll just go back to working for my grandparents but that also means I'll be living with them. Working for them does have its good points such a close walk to Eaton Centre and they let me take as many breaks as I need (which is a lot) and it's way better than working for my dad cause all I do there is buy him coffee and then he'll complain about how much milk I put in(he never lets me take breaks). Plus they pay me more than my dad, but it's just the distance thing and the working ALL day that's just too tiring.

2) Get fit - I'm so lucky I have a fantastic trainer who invented a new excercise just for me! I'm not going to name that excercise because it's embarassing but I plan to use it! Overall I just want to get into my swimming habit again, I think that helps me the most and just keeps me focused on my own body. It's kind of funny I just finished watching SHALLOW HAL (it was on tv), but that's not what's pushing me to get excercising. I think everyone can benefit from working out and staying in shape and just being overall healthy inside and out. To begin this I'm going to buy a pair of shoes - like healthy shoes (like when I make some money) and these will keep my feet nice and grounded. I learned all about my relationship with the ground in that Tai Chi class I did last week!

3) Post Colonial Lit. Did I mention I found a summer school course that applies? Well it's an online course from Athabasca University, which is apparently Canada's online university. So far it's going great, not that I started because I haven't, but they sent me all my books and it works out to even cheaper than a course at York and it's the same amount of credits. Why "Post Colonial" you ask? Yes, I too thought it would be really boring and that's why I put it off every year until finally my advisor said at some point I have to take one and then I realized oh yeah I do! Apparently school boards look for high school teachers who have the background in being able to understand the writings of other cultures. The books look great though and even though I have an entire year to finish the course I'm going to try to get it done ASAP. I want as little things to do next year as possible.

So that's been my first week and my goals for summer, more goals will definitly arise later as I get more in tune with my freedom. All I can say is that my relationship with the ground is looking pretty good so far. I walked outside barefoot this morning just to feel the warm bricks and sun on my back and it was good! I sort of felt like stripping all my clothes off and just sitting there but that probably wouldn't have been such a good idea.

* Want to know more about your relationship with the ground? Take a Tai Chi class! I just did one class one hour and now I feel like an expert! It's easy stuff just close your eyes and breath in the cool air and release your moist sticky air!

8 Comments:

  • At 1:57 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Didn't even mention that I took you to that class! You didnt even want to go!

     
  • At 4:41 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I did want to go! You're just jealous that my relationship with the ground is better than yours!

     
  • At 11:36 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    hey aaliya! nice blog! i have to update mine soon.. hmm. I have 2 questions for you, 1) where are u working out ? YMCA? and 2) how do u put more than one picture on one blog? help!

     
  • At 12:05 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Thanks!! Yours is looking pretty good too! In case you're wondering V is the one who left that last anonymous comment on yours, I figured out it was him because of my great detective skills - I say "tell me about it" all the time, and he mus thave picked that up from me! Just like how he copies how I laugh and sigh!

    1)At the moment I'm doing my work out in the privacy of my own home (which isn't really that private) but I do want to go to the gym cause it would probably motivate me more - I went with Gagan to the one by AMC for a bit awhile ago and liked it there and want to go back but I don't like going alone cause then I feel lonely! Where do you go?

    2) I have to thank SARA for her great help because I would never have been able to figure this out myself too! THANKS Sara!!! It's actually really easy and I'll email you the thing you just have to copy and paste it each time with the different addresses. Will send it to you with instructions soon!

     
  • At 1:28 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    okay well right now i dont have a gym membership anywhere (shh dont tell your boyfriend lol) i havent worked out for the last month, but im thinking of going back to the gym at my school - though they have no swimming pool :( for now i just go for really long walks and try to use the 10lb dumb bells i have at home... getting a gym membership is really expensive , why!

     
  • At 10:03 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    See Liya, we can use the UTM gym with Nuffy! If I can't go one day, you can go with her, that way you will never be lonely! Plus its free because they never check! :)

    p.s. the new athletic center at UTM will have a pool, I know, I paid for it in my tuition and then I graduated so now I will never get to use the pool I paid for :@

     
  • At 11:57 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    U know nuffy I do read this blog! I'm so disapointed!!!!!! Well at least your doing the walks, I hope your diet is good! You guys should take a picture now and then at the end of the summer to see the difference.

     
  • At 11:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    V you should post a before and after picture of you! Remember the "before" one you showed me oh my... you looked great before, but boy did you look much greater after!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home