To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Dracula is cheap..

My Dracula essay from last year (nominated by my professor to win an award)...WON! I was so happy when I found out.. I was in my Romantics class practically sleeping because I had stayed up really late the night before finishing yet another essay.. when my phone rang. Now normally I wouldn't have answered because as a teacher I know how annoying that can be but I also figured if I answer it I might wake me up. I did wake up.

It turned out to be the secretary from Stong (college at York) asking me if I was coming to the awards reception. I had no idea what she was talking about because apparently the email she sent me hadn't gotten through to me. But I forgave her in my head because at least she isn't TULIA (crazy art secretary). Anyways she explained to me that I won an award and that the reception was this evening...the $$$ started dancing in my head so obviously I told her I would attend.. even though I looked like a bum. AND was wearing my glasses. Do you know that today is actually "dress like a dork day?" Well it is. I got that notice in my email.. see I get junk like that but I don't get the important stuff.

WELL I was happy, in my mind I kept thinking yay free money free money free money.. you know, I expected the prize to be a CHEQUE or something.. needless to say I was quite disappointed to find out that all I got was a certificate and a pen.. A PEN.. now what the hell am I supposed to do with a pen? Write? No it's one of those special pens you don't write with it but keep as a memory. What's the point of that? I have enough memories! I'm not trying to be ungrateful but seriously I have enough pens, ones that I actually use.. yeah okay it comes in a nice soft case but I don't need a case either. I feel so let down. My essay is worth more than a pen! My essay is worth some moneyyyy. I don't even know where to put it the pen... I wonder if I can sell it ..

P.S When they announced my name they said it wrong! 3 times! The life I live "sigh" lol.

***

From Fu's blog:
Go to Google and type in "(Your Name here) needs"

"' [aa] liya needs" got no results.

So I tried "Liya needs" and got these results:

Liya needs to be number one again!!
(I always was what are you talking about lol)

Liya needs to shut her mouth!
(True lol)

Liya needs to compromise ..
(nah I never do that!)

Liya needs a shower.
(hehe)

11 Comments:

  • At 10:00 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :D

    Oh wow, that's amazing, congratulations! Aww but you definitely deserved more than a pen! Even though I love pens and wouldn't mind personally hehe but you know :)

     
  • At 12:08 a.m., Blogger FU said…

    wow... viagra spam and advertising spam.. fantastic!!!

    u got some funny Liya needs!! expecially the shower!! hmpfh.. after all your talk about stinky ppl a few blogs ago! SNOB!

    i kid... sorry about the pen... U of T gave everyone a pen too during graduation.. what a cop out. i say a degree should be like a rebate... u get refunded 20% of your entire tuition upon graduation.. that'd be motivation to study hard for SURE!

    good idea no? i'd like to patent it.

     
  • At 12:46 a.m., Blogger nosthegametoo said…

    Congratulations on winning. A good while back, an art piece of mine was selected by some state non-sense and I got hosed too. Sucks, don't it?

    Try to look at it like this: even though you didn't get any money, the fact you were selected means that your writing is at very least, competitive. That means one of these days your writing may potentially be quite valuable... who knows? So keep writing, your fans are still with you. Even though we're not paying members.

     
  • At 1:58 a.m., Blogger The Humanity Critic said…

    Congrats. Oh yeah, blog spam sucks..

     
  • At 10:58 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Thanks guys, I know the pen does suck though.. I was so counting on money.

    And yeah I found the shower need hilarious since I was bugging about that not too long ago lol

    :D

     
  • At 9:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats Pilly! You should be happy that you got the award for your writing, sometimes its not about the prize, but just about the fact that you were recognized! This should give you motivation to start your novel so that we can be rich and I wont have to work if I dont want to!

     
  • At 9:18 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lol sure Ahy


    V, you know I'll never believe that it's not about the prize. It's ALWAYS about the prize :)

     
  • At 10:25 p.m., Blogger sara said…

    Haha, congrats 'liya! Fu, I remember that pen. But the worst was when my photography got picked to get published on the adbusters website i got nothing. Nuh-thing. I had to call Vancouver twice just to get a letter of recognition and even that was sent to me as a pdf without a signature at the bottom :|

    P.S. please read my Community Catwalk column on sauga.ca

     
  • At 11:09 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    I read it and I like it!!

     
  • At 9:24 p.m., Blogger Nabeel said…

    see .. i didn't read ur entire post because it was too long (just read one line) .. but what did u write about in that Dracula Essay? Dracula was actually Vald the Impaler .. he belonged to a clan called Drac (as far as I remember) .. and it was a powerful clan ..

    He lead Christian Army to fight againstthe Muslims (in the 1200's) dont remember the exact date ..

    But .. he was a fearsome guy and gained the nickname of "Dracul" which then meant dragon ..

    that's all

     
  • At 9:44 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Hi Nabeel,
    You seem to have gone a long way back in my blog lol

    My paper wasn't about the history of the actual guy, it was about the book by Bram Stoker and the role that females played in the story.

    :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home