To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Fasting - day 1

For some reason I just felt very awake today. My mom woke me at 5:30 to eat and after eating my sisters and I prayed Fajr with my dad which was quite nice. I haven't done that in awhile and it just felt so right. Usually I always pray my fajr late so it was also nice being right on time. I then read a chapter from my textbook, printed some stuff for school and then went back to bed around 8a.m. I woke up again at 12:00 and felt just so rested. Did some more school work, prayed, picked on my sister and still felt so awake. I think I'm going to try to continue this routine for the whole month. I can't describe how I feel. I just feel ..awake, not my usual sleepy cranky self.

It's my mom's birthday today. She turns 44. After doing some calculations on paper (not mentally cause I can't subtract and borrow in my head) I discovered that my mom had me when she was 22. I'll be 22 next month. I feel a little conflicted but I'm going to ignore those baby wanting feelings and just focus on being calm. Calm calm calm. Okay I want a baby. "Sigh."

I know everyone says it about their own but I seriously think I have the best mom in the world. In Ramadan she wakes up super early and makes us all our individual meals before waking us up. Each one of us has our own preferences to begin our fasting day and my mom makes sure we are all happy (and healthy).

Me - warm (chunky not watery) soup and 1/2 grapefruit. I can't stand watery soup. I also can't stand grapefruit that isn't in the peel and can be scooped out with a spoon. I sometimes think I shouldn't be such a baby.

Zra - scrambled eggs, toast, fruit salad, water.

Zai - food preferences change each day

Dad - omelet, oatmeal, toast, dates, water

Mohammed - cereal (for his pretend fasting). Actually speaking of my brother I should mention that he got a haircut and his head looks like an egg. We all loved him with long hair (not long as in past your shoulders, but long as in for a boy long). His silly teacher told him he looks like a girl and he came home crying. My mom vowed to never cut his hair so the teacher will not be appeased but my dad took him to get it cut. I find it ridiculous that Islamic school teachers think they know everything. They don't seem to realize that most of the prophets probably had hair the same length as my brother. And as Zai points out, most soccer players as well. Anways, I told my brother I don't love him anymore because I hate his new hair and he got really happy.

Back to my point, MY MOM IS THE BEST.
1 hour, 15 more minutes till breaking fast.
I feel AWAKE.

9 Comments:

  • At 5:25 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Strictly Business
    WASHINGTON Americans dip into credit for August The Federal Reserve said Friday that Americans increased borrowing on credit cards and auto loans as consumer debt rose at an annual rate of 2.7 percent in August ...
    online business

     
  • At 5:54 p.m., Blogger sara said…

    Your mom makes each of you your own breakfast?!!! Can we trade moms? My mom wont even make all of us the same breakfast, we have to make our own! Although she does make really great dinners on the 5 days of the week that I don't make dinner.

     
  • At 9:45 p.m., Blogger FU said…

    u never told me if u can make it to my iftar tomorrrw!! sara says u wont come coz u dont know me so well, but i say, the more the better, its an IFTAR! :) (but thanksgiving kinda styles) SO COME

    fu

     
  • At 11:57 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :D

    Hun, did you just say your mom is 24?! Anyways, beautiful entry, may Allah Swt bless your mum with a long healthy life insha'Allah. But I know what you mean, aren't mom's just wonderful? My mom does the same, wakes up super early and prepares meals. I do my best to wake up at the same time as her becuz I feel so bad that she prepares everything herself.

    haha Your brother's hair! aww! My brother has been keeping his hair long too and it drives my parents crazy haha But I stick up for him and say "what's wrong, it's sunnah" teehehe I kinda like this look on my bro, makes him look older ...

    G'luck fasting!

     
  • At 11:57 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    You're right it's 42 - I fixed that. I'm AWAKE now!

    I thnk longer hair makes him cuter - I don't know how old your brother is Rafia but mine is only 10! He's still a baby!

    Fuad - Sara is right I won't come lol but it's because we're going to my grandparents new house to break fast (the new house that I don't like and that I'm supposed to learn to like), if you have another one later in the month I'll come for sure (if Sara is there!). Thanks though!

     
  • At 3:38 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    awww 10! haha my brother is 10 yrs older than him aww then ur bro must look so adorable

     
  • At 8:21 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I mean 44 not 42! My brain can't do anything with numbers!

    You know I never thought you had a brother. I always thought you were an only child. Don't you love brothers? They're the best :D

     
  • At 1:36 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thats because it is so much easier to deal with a boy compared to silly girls!

     
  • At 10:56 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    What!!!
    How would you know, you don't even have a sister!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home