To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

To Eid or not to Eid

... Can you believe that Ramadan is almost over? The month always goes by so fast, if you don't make the most of it then it's gone before you can say Eid Mubarak.

This year I really made the effort to go to mosque more and I'm happy that I can checkmark that goal. I feel more spiritual and I feel more alive. Does that make sense?

I really wanted to spend more time at Taric mosque because I love the dua they read in between the taraweeh prayers. I always feel so wonderful hearing it even though I'm not sure what it means and I'm the type of person who's big on meaning. We went there on the 27th because we usually do, it's sort of become a tradition for my family whether that night is really Lailatul-Qadr or not. And now that Ramadan is almost over I'm feeling sad.. I've gotten used to the fasting and praying on time (which I am definitely going to try to keep up Inshallah) but there's just a certain feeling that always comes with this month and to have it go is..sad.

So am I going to celebrate Eid? Well I have a painting (actually 4 - they're a collection) due on Monday which I haven't started, I have a big unit plan due on Tues. I have a midterm exam on Wed... and well you see how it is? I could always tell my profs that it's a religious day .. but then there's still work to get caught up on.. and more after that.. life is quite complicated right now and I don't think I can allow myself a break. Luckily my mom promised me she'll bring me back food from whatever parties they go to.

To Eid or not to Eid?

I hope that those of you who celebrate Eid are going to be "To Eid" :D

12 Comments:

  • At 10:07 a.m., Blogger mayya said…

    The real spirit of celebration of eid is to be happy within :)

    Eid mubarik!

    p.s. my youngest khala's name is aliya and she's mashAllah so adorable, everyone calls her dolly

     
  • At 2:28 p.m., Blogger Sabri Hakim said…

    Happy Eid

     
  • At 1:09 p.m., Blogger Tha BossMack TopSoil said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:44 p.m., Blogger FU said…

    Eid Mubarak!!!

    :) :)

     
  • At 9:10 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Thank you everyone. Eid Mubarak to everyone celebrating today and tomorrow. My family will be celebrating tomorrow and even though I won't be there, my grandma promised she'd send some of her food back for me and hopefully some money too hehe.

    Bossmack, your comment I deleted had nothing to do with my post..

    Hope everyone has a great day!

     
  • At 7:59 a.m., Blogger hotICE said…

    Eid Mubarak!! really, yet another month of piety has flown by

     
  • At 8:41 a.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    your mom's nice to offer bringing food back for you. :-)

    hope you get all that stuff done that needs to be completed!

     
  • At 4:07 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :D

    Eid Mubarak 'liya!! I hope you're having a beautiful one, did you get to put on mehndi? ;)

     
  • At 10:21 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Thank you! Eid Mubarak!

     
  • At 11:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    eid mubarak aaliya! sorry i couldn't call to say it but much family over.. but see u in class! study!!! (i like you're blog, i'l check it later tho)

    asim

     
  • At 11:40 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Aww Asim thank you, see you in class and you study too!!

    Thanks Clairissa, food and money are wonderful things hehe.

    Here is my simple word breakdown on words that might be confusing to anyone :

    Eid = celebration

    Eid Mubarak = "happy Eid"

    Ramadan = month of fasting

    Dua = type of prayer

    Lailatul-Qadr = super important night during Ramadan, but nobody really knows when it is..

    hmm think I got them all :D

    Now I'll go stuff myself with some more food that my family brought back .. Yum..From everyone in the world, my grandma cooks the best!

     
  • At 12:54 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    Because she's a south african grandma and it just doesnt get better than that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home