To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Tribes


My Tribe = my group :)

Well my teaching workshop, Tribes ended last week. No there's not some kind of cultural meaning behind the name, it's just called Tribes because. Just because. It was fun and interesting and I learned a lot. I'd describe Tribes teaching as a "touchy feely" kinda way of teaching. And I like that. Most of the teaching strategies we learned were geared towards elementary and middle but there's so many ways to adapt them to high school classes. I'm excited to use what I've learned, even though I haven't opened the textbook yet. People who open textbooks in December are just wrong. So I didn't. But that's okay because our instructor said he didn't open the textbook for two years after he got a teaching job.

There's a lot of conferences and workshops coming up this month so it looks like my evenings won't be as free as I thought. I'm trying to attend as many teacher-type things as possible to that I have more certificates to put in my teaching portfolio (which I still have to start- I really should start that now). The Tribes certificate is good though because it's so well-known. There's also one day called "Board's night" where all the different school boards are coming to York and we learn about applying to each. I'm a little scared. I don't know why. I feel like I have to be a grown-up now. Does that make sense?

When I showed Zai the picture she said everyone in my group (which by the way was called the Superstars :D) looks like a teacher except me. She said I look like a high school student. Wonderful :S Well maybe that's because I forgot to take my nametag off for the picture? If it isn't because of that then just say it is to make me feel better! I know looking young can be a good thing, but ..

Anyways my brother just came into the room to sing his fart song to me. It's really quite cute, this is how it goes:

Sung to the tune of In the Jungle*

[insert name] farted,
the earthquake started
the lions died tonight

It's short but he's working on a second verse now.

*you know like in the jungle the lion sleeps tonight? -- like from playing recorder or piano.. or singing in choir.. or The Lion King :D

P.S. The Christmas tree has disappeared from my weatherwoman's box and I've noticed that her clothing seems to change almost hourly now. I want to go shopping with her.

P.P.S I went to the new Oakville again yesterday (my grandparent's new house), and I ate a lot of potato chips so many, like so so many. Nuffy, I think this was because of the blog you mentioned! Anyways they were good. I couldn't stop! Then I had yummy apple pie. Okay I don't know why I'm talking about food since I'm fasting today :S

15 Comments:

  • At 1:18 p.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    Your brother's song is quite funny. I actually had to sing it out loud to see the sheer brilliance of it.

     
  • At 3:24 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    That blog really made me want chips after reading it at midnight! I went to search for chips in my cupbords and i found two half eaten bags of "our compliments" chips - even though they kinda tasted funny, they did the trick.
    P.S You look like a teacher, don't worry!

     
  • At 9:15 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Asmaa, I think his friend invented it and my brother is trying to pass it off as his own. Either way it defintely is brilliant. I suggest you sing it to people when um it applies. Actually I hope it doesn't apply...

    :D

    Nuffy, I told my sister that you said I look like a teacher and she said the fact that I had to ask for someone's opinion makes me seem even more not like a teacher :S

     
  • At 6:20 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi does ur sister go to York too?

     
  • At 10:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi anonymous, I noticed you posted that same question before and I haven't answered and won't until you leave a name :)

    If you know me don't be scared, or if you don't want to give your name here then you can always email me and I'd be happy to tell you.

    ***

    EID MUBARAK EVERYONE!!!!!
    I hope everyone has a fabulous day even if they're going to school tomorrow like me :D

     
  • At 3:17 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :D

    Eid Mubarak hun!! I pray you have a beautiful one spent with all your loved ones

     
  • At 10:51 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    I did! Well I went to mosque in the morning, then school for 6 hours, then I went out with my family, and now I'm home! .. and wide awake lol

    :D

     
  • At 8:57 a.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    i dont think you look like a highschooler at all!

     
  • At 3:20 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! Pilly looks hot today!!

     
  • At 2:56 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Thanks Becky :)

    Agent, Pilly is wearing a jacket so I don't know what you saw and I don't want to know!

    ***

    I really need to update, I'm feeling lazy but I have so much to say.. and so much to do :S

     
  • At 2:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Message from Pilly (the weatherwoman)

    Hi there Agent! Can you please compliment me on my brain too! I'm really smart, I bet you can't tell the weather like I can .. all people see me is as a costume changer "Sigh" ....

    From Pilly

     
  • At 12:06 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    I've been lazy.. I'll update now :D

    Not to worry I'm still alive.. ohhhh, typing "I'm still alive" just reminded me of something .. something that made me feel like dying. Like a boring art exhibition that I went to last week. Yikes. Part of this guy's art was sending telegrams all around the world with the message "I'm still alive." It made me wonder what's happening to art. "Sigh" ...

     
  • At 12:08 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you! I'm definitely the most intelligent (weatherwoman that is!).

    Nobody has any chances with me, I'm in love with my job and I want to marry my tree but he is gone now :D

     
  • At 11:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll grow u another one! Around Christmas time.....

     
  • At 9:09 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Grow it sooner!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home