To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Monday, February 27, 2006

An Unspoken Bond?

Someone tell me, is this just a sister thing?

Zra and I are very different people. We have different interests and VERY different tastes. Yet.. sometimes, unintentionally, we seem to gravitate towards the same things. And it's odd because Zai is more like me and I even get along better with her so you'd think that this would happen between me and her.. but me and Zra just have this weird sort of understanding that sometimes is scary.

About 2 weeks ago I bought a button from school. The money was for a good cause and it had a message printed on it that I liked and agreed with: "Free Palestine." I promptly pinned it to my backpack and then promptly lost it. I retraced my steps all over school after realizing I had lost it .. less than 1 hour after I had bought it .. but couldn't find it so I gave up and forgot about it. Then a few days ago Zra came home with the exact same button pinned to her backpack! Obviously it wasn't mine since I had lost mine at school and she had bought hers at Ryerson - but of all the buttons, why had she chosen THE EXACT SAME ONE (they had a whole bunch to choose from) !?!

It reminded me of other mysterious events that have affected us both. A few years ago we each went to Square One with our own sets of friends on the same day and we came home our separate ways. Well wasn't it surprising to see that we had both bought the exact same Hello Kitty bag! And at this time Zra didn't even like Hello Kitty she just liked the bag!

[Wow, now I'm having flashbacks of how Hello Kitty obsessed I was back then :S ]

Anyways, then there was the other time we were each at Square One again with our separate friends doing our own thing and later at home when we compared purchases we found that we had each bought the exact same sweater from the exact same store only in different colours (mine was pink hers was purple).

So basically I just want to know is this normal? - these things seem to keep happening .. like is there some kind of weird telepathic communication going back and forth between the two of us? And why does it just happen between me and her and not me and Zai?

Anyways before I get back to my work, I want to share the pathetic excuse of a poem my 10 year old brother wrote. It got published in his school newsletter which is just sad sad sad. It really sucks but because he got it in there he thinks he's the greatest writer in the world. Here it is:

Sad Winter
The winter that wasn't...
There was no snow, snowball fights, snow angels,
and drinking hot chocolate by the fire.
This winter is really slow.
But while it lasts, everyone shouts
"Winter, Winter fight and run
Winter, Winter, have some fun!"
In Winter you should play
And ride a sleigh.
Have some fun
And don't be dumb.

CURRENT MOOD: Confused?!

P.S This post is dedicated to my 3 siblings :D

11 Comments:

  • At 8:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I find it odd that you dedicate this post to your 3 siblings yet you only talk about 2 of them! You should have said something nice about your other sister so that she doesnt feel so left out.

    P.S. his poem isn't so bad, you should encourage him to write more!

     
  • At 10:51 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    That poem was great! lol the last line was genius.

     
  • At 11:10 p.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    my sister and i have so many crazy things like that. i just always attribute it to being "a twin thing."

     
  • At 12:35 a.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    I also think that poem was good. I think you're just jealous Aaliya that you couldn't write anything nearly as good as that... go back to your Hello Kitty days... :)

    My brother and I have similar interests as well... it's natural for siblings to be like that I guess.

     
  • At 8:25 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Agent, well I talk about Zainab all the time which is why I needed to even things out with the others. I'm quite sure she won't feel left out :D

    And I do encourage him to write! He just .. doesn't like to.. or likes me to do it for him.

    Nuffy, his last genius last made my whole family understand why it was written by him lol. I liked that line best too, I guess it's his way of summing up what winter is :)

    Becky, well I don't have a twin, my sisters are far from being my twins, so then well I guess it's just something that happens?

    Nauman, I would love to go back to my Hello Kitty days but I prefer Goodbye Kitty now! But I didn't say we have similar interests, I said we don't - read more carefully, then you can become as great a writer as my brother :D

     
  • At 9:42 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    I woke up early and finished my essay early and now I don't know what to do... should I go back to sleep now ? Argh! I feel bored. My class is only at 1:00. What a waste of waking up early.

    And now I feel a little nervous because I have a big presentation today. Can someone reassure me..

     
  • At 5:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey liya
    I hope your presentation went okay! u are not alone with the sister thing! I have an older sister (just 1 year apart = 21), a younger sister (5 year difference=15) and a brother (8 year difference ...now 12 years old). Ne way, my older sister and I are very very different in a lot of things...but our brain works in the same way! Like if Im thinking that someone was acting weird...or anything like that...she'll say it before I have the time to say it. Its amazing though...we like it...we even complete each others sentences some times. But my younger sister and I dont have that connection yet. I think the closer u are to some sibling in age...the more u r connected telepathically...*lol*...I dont know how to explain it...but my siblings and I have the same connection! Its crazee...:)

     
  • At 8:26 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Faiza, your siblings are all so close to mine in age, and same 3 girls and 1 boy :) Just a nice big happy family :D oh wait I hear my sisters yelling upstairs now so I take that back lol.

    My presentation went great- despite the fact that I was holding on to my jaw throughout because it was killing me from talking so much, I managed a half hour+ presentation and did quite well as my professor told me after class! I'm feeling good :D

     
  • At 2:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey liya
    im glad ur presentation went well. yeah I know my family is almost the same as urs...its pretty cool actually...thats why I like reading ur blog! :) but sometimes I get so frustrated when my younger sister steals my things or writes all over my stuff...that I feel like to scream....but then when we laugh and have the peaceful times, I love them so much...I think there's a good and bad to having a large family! lol...mostly a good tho

     
  • At 5:50 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Mostly good :D

     
  • At 12:31 p.m., Blogger Blue Divided said…

    I think its the many to many mapping that exists across various interface,
    one good example will be mothers interaction with her kids.

    I think u will get what i am talking if u read my blog, though lot of people think is kind of crap, anyways try it in ur free time.

    http://chuluverse.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home