To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Untitled

This morning my mom was telling me about how in SA during apartheid they moved you to different areas according to the colour of your skin. That way the light brown skinned people lived closest to the white people and the darkest of the black people were moved the furthest. I didn't know that.

Racism disgusts me.

So does religious intolerance.

I don't blame the violent protests. The thought of the cartoons made my blood boil. And yes I saw them because I had to.. so that I could understand what everything was about. I'm sure everyone knows what I'm referring to. There's a difference between making caricatures of a specific religious group and doing the same to a religious figure. I'm okay if people make fun of muslims because muslims make fun of muslims and everybody does the same with every other religion. But to take our Prophet, peace be upon him,... I can't even talk about it.. My goodness I get upset when I see pictures of Jesus peace be upon him, made fun of - and that's something you see quite often. Freedom of speech.. yeah right.. obviously the cartoons were done deliberately to provoke. As if we're blind to the mounting tensions between Europeans and well everyone who isn't European and living on that side of the world.

V. and I were talking about how some people show no respect for even their own religion. Why do they bother having a religion then? My response to that is okay - but don't expect us to be the same. There are some things I value more than my own life.

The Prophet Muhammed most likely would not have reacted the way muslims all over the world have been reacting. He dealt with his enemies through peace, and with that most came to respect him. I can only pray that God forgive those involved and anything else that might come out of this matter. But hand me a gun and put that cartoonist in front of me and I'd be awfully tempted...

8 Comments:

  • At 9:18 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ur new no4denmark thingy is written in arabic (I think). Where can I see the pictures?

     
  • At 11:18 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Hey Anonymous you're back! I actually saw the cartoons on someone's blog (that I don't remember now) though I'm sure if you google it you'll find tons about it.

     
  • At 11:19 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    I just checked, there's lots of sites that have them..

     
  • At 11:22 p.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    i hate ethnocentric idiots! [people of one culture thinking they are better and superior to all other groups.]

    thats what racism and intollerance stem from-- people thinking they are better than others. its stupid.

    when i lived in "the south," i was shocked by how much of it i saw. one night, i was walking with some other girls down a street in the city. a black gentleman dressed in nice business-apparel walked by. The one girl moved really close to me-- she was so scared he was going to attack her.

    it made me so mad.

     
  • At 1:52 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey I saw them....what a bunch of weirdos! They werent even funny...whoever drew them should be put into jail...I mean arent cartoons supposed to be a form of entertainment...these dont even make sense!

     
  • At 11:09 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sighhh how racist well what do u expect it was in S.A. Its not the best place to be in the world. Now that I think about it I wonder how Sara is? I wonder if she is at her house reading this! Shes probably too busy for your blog love.

     
  • At 9:20 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Becky, the South definitely has some racism issues still.. I remember when my family drove to Florida and we stopped along the way in different states - well you can tell when people don't want you there.

    Anonymous, you're right they weren't funny, well maybe to some sick people they were. The problem with the cartoons was that it was done on purpose. They knew there would be a problem but they went ahead and published them anyway - great respect. Well I guess they got the reaction that they wanted only now things are getting out of hand but it's too late. The damage is done..

    Agent, I think Sara will be good - I just read her blog and I don't think she'll be too busy for mine humph! They have computers there too you know.. And even if you went on vacation somewhere I know you'd keep with mine .. that's how much you love it :D

     
  • At 10:47 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Thanks Liam, but I just read your own post and I think you put things in a better perspective.

    (can everyone who reads this please head over to Liam's blog and read his post on this matter - thanks!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home