To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Being a girl :)

I'm still sick but I'm pretending not to be.

So I put some of Zahra's new nailpolish on to try to feel feminine and pretty and it's working so far. It's a nude pink colour and so girly. I haven't worn nailpolish in so long and when I have it's always been clear so this is a nice change.

It's kinda nice out today.. maybe tomorrow I'll wear a skirt. I have 4 skirts from last summer that I've never even worn before .. still too cold for sandals..

I need to help bring spring in:
First Step: No more wearing my winter jacket.
Second Step: Bring out the pink.
Third Step: Smile and wave at the fat robin I see on the fence out the window -- it's so plump I don't think I've ever seen such a fat birdy.

I need to make my blog more colourful.

Here's 2 pics of my art in Stong College's Zacks Student Art Show. I hope I win something:

A painting (it's abstract okay, you need to be there in person to "get it")




Paper dress sculpture (and bag) from high school (thanks V for entering it for me)



Question of the day: How do you make yourself "feel pretty"?

CURRENT FEELING: pink!

24 Comments:

  • At 3:52 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum!! :)

    ahh you're so adorable! Aww! I finally get to see your work too, it's amazing. Too bad I didn't get the opportunity to enroll in any art classes, would have been lovely.

    The reason I'm going to miss winter is because my jacket will be put away :( I love my long jacket. And how do I make myself "feel pretty"? Hmm, I usually dress up. I looove dressing up haha

    And good! keep pretending you're not sick :) It'll work.

     
  • At 11:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I dont understand something!! how come on one side your so against chemicals and stuff but on the other side you can put on nail polish that has like the most chemicals of all! it makes your nails dry and unnatural! Why would you put that on??? And you better be thanking me for submiting in your dress! I had to go through so much trouble to do it! Pilly you have to feel better soon too! its been so long since u have been well...

     
  • At 1:06 a.m., Blogger nat said…

    Oh 'liya, I remember that dress, and hopefully when you become a fashion designer queen you wont forget about me! :D I won't miss winter or my bloody winter jacket in all honest, I can't wait for spring and warm weather! To feel pretty I just go see R, he showers me with tons of compliments *most days*... get well hun.

     
  • At 4:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Liya
    I took ur "Spring advice" and didnt wear my winter jacket today...and i FROZE...guess its still a COLD spring. On another note, did u know Spring started today at 1:26pm...its official. lol

     
  • At 5:54 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Squeeky, I love my winter jacket too but I love my spring one even more cause it's pink :D Check out the art in Stong and leave a comment in the book! There's one really nice painting there of a bowl of fruit( I think) it was really pretty.

    Agent, I won't bother to explain here since I already did to you - just remember science is in my genes JEANS! Anyways if you read carefully you would see that I did thank you! I know you had to go through so much trouble but remember I was sick.. how quickly you forget.. I should cough more.

    Ohh man!, Thank you :) Maple syrup brown sounds so yummy, be careful not to get carried away and eat your hair lol.

    Nuffy, you remember the dress! Remember I had to wear it so Ms Caswell could take pictures -I hated that, it was so awkward :S but anyways that's really sweet of R, give him my salaams :D

    Faiza, I tried to follow my spring advice but my parents wouldn't let me leave the house in my spring jacket :S I'm sorry you froze! it was pretty cold in the morning :S
    I heard on 1010 that Spring was starting at 1:26! I also didn't know they had an exact time set lol.

     
  • At 7:31 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    u listen to 1010 too? WOW...me too! lol...we dont even know each other and we are so alike! the number of siblings we have...what news station we listen too...its crazee

     
  • At 10:42 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nailpolish isn't allowed in Islam

     
  • At 11:16 p.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    haha @ anonymous. Yes, mufti.

    Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm a staunch anti-pink person. Sorry Aaliya.

    How do I make myself feel pretty? Interesting question. When I figure out the answer, I'll let you know :P

     
  • At 11:25 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    why isnt nail polish allowed in islam?

     
  • At 12:48 a.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :)

    Nailpolish is allowed but usually not worn on the days where one is able to pray. Because nailpolish adds a layer to your nail and when you go to perform wudhu, the water is not able to reach your nails to clean it.

    Umm, yea. So that's my attempt at clearing that up. But on the days you can't pray, where it allll you want.

     
  • At 10:27 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Faiza, hehe I love 1010, they usually talk about interesting things too :D Maybe one day I'll call in!

    Anonymous, I'm aware of the fact, please refer to my previous post about me having my period .. do I need to announce it to the whole world yeesh. I bet you're of the male species.

    Asmaa, anti-pink! :O I bet one day you'll like it eventually.. like say you have a baby girl a couple of years from now, don't dress in her blue, you have to make her identity clear, trust me, I know from the experience of the baby's point of view..

    Nuffy & Squeeky, yup that's the main reason. I've heard some interesting things about how you can wash your hands/nails before putting it on..I guess some people like making up rules :S Well whatever, they didn't even have nailpolish back then -- which is what my dad's friend once told me during a heated discussion - you should have seen my dad's face, he was like are you saying it's okay for my daughter to wear it?! lol

    Only God can judge how true you are in your wudu. And of course, you know your intentions too. and that's my attempt at clearing that up!

     
  • At 12:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmm....wha do i do to make myself feel pretty??...well for starters i work out like everyday...and than i pamper myself wit mask and microdermabrasion (in a jar)...and do up my hair and of course makeup!!....well its more like an art to me..but i love my makeup..and I LOVE PINK!...esp hot pink..thas mah thing....thas how i feel pretty....=)....by tha way i hope u feel bettah aaliya....=)....

     
  • At 9:59 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Editing blogs! How I love it..... I'm in a HTML Web Graphics and design class so I have lots of practice.

    ( http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_reference.asp ) have fun!

     
  • At 10:31 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Samia, you remind me that I'm so inactive :S My goal for the summer is to excersize and create some sort of muscles inside me :)

    Speaking of microdermabrasion, I actually have an appointment next weekend as a sort of inspiration for exams lol .. I'm too lazy to do it myself even though I have this nice kit with an interesting sorta tool that moves around to apply the stuff on your face. I don't know what it's called but it looks like a small hairdryer (with no heat).

    jds1000, who are you and where did you come from lol.

     
  • At 11:30 p.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    I figured out how I make myself feel pretty. It's not vats of freaky looking face masks. It's not make up. It's definitely not pink clothing.

    I do nice things for other people. Then I am pretty.

    I just don't care if I don't look it. That's not what matters :)

     
  • At 11:12 a.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    your ? of the day made me think of a pretty sad story--

    when i was pregnant, i had all of those pregnancy hormones. and so one day i was just feeling really sad. so i decided that if i put on makeup, i'd feel pretty. so, i sat on my bed, with makeup strewn about me. i started applying makeup... so much that i eventually looked like a slut. when i looked in the mirror, i started crying. poor andrew came home to a sobbing wife with mascara running down her face.

    i do like your idea of wearing nail polish. i think i'll go paint my toe nails now! (i cant do my fingers b/c my one finger is still bandaged up from accidentally slicing off my skin)

     
  • At 12:04 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you know "ohh man"... you've got way bigger issues than the "no-nail-polish-in-Islam-species" as you call 'em.

    ya, look at yourself before you jump to conclusions about people who are trying their best to follow Islam because they genuinely believe it to be true. tell me again - what are YOU following?

    that's what I thought.

     
  • At 12:17 p.m., Blogger sara said…

    LIYA! Miss ya lots hun. PINK will definately make you feel pretty, and that pampering you have booked sounds like a good start! We should go when I come back! And a gallery hop for sure! And shopping at Holts?! Man I miss Canada, but your cuz and her friends are showing me a hellava good time here in CT!

     
  • At 1:24 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Asmaa, nicely said :) That's a whole different side to feeling "pretty" that I wasn't even thinking of but probably should have been. That's great that works for you, I think I have to do both for it to work for me.

    Ohh Man!, how come? btw I know this might seem like an odd question but are you a girl or a boy? Your name confused me and then the blog post I read confused me more. Actually don't tell me, when I have more time I'll read more of your blog and figure it out :)

    Becky, I've never been pregnant so I don't know what to say to pregnancy hormones lol.. I guess all pregnant women go through something like that right? It's crazy cause your body is changing so much I'd probably go through some kind of breakdown too. The plus side is you end up so much better cause you get the cute baby so maybe going through all that is worth it. Now I want a baby!

    Anonymous, I'm confused, who are you.. you're always leaving comments, I'd love to know who you are. Do you know Ohh Man!?

    SARA!!!! Samira is showing you a good time?!! I feel jealous, I wanna be there too! Pink for sure, Holts.. I'm not rich lol .. yeah my mom suggested it, I've been kinda down lately and well yeah, I should be there in SA with you! Hey travel the country some more so I can track you in red dots :D

     
  • At 1:33 p.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    I don't know if guys can feel pretty but anytime I feel like looking sharp, I do one of two things:

    1) Dress well... depends of course on where I'm going.

    2) Work out... it always feels good when you've exherted energy towards something in a positive way.

     
  • At 5:04 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 5:06 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    Thanks for clearing that up squeeky :D

    ... *sings* "I'm Mr. Postman also Mr. Toast man, ohhh mannn.."

     
  • At 10:14 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Oh good, Aaliya does not have word verification. Anyone with that feature, it won't allow me to post comments :( Eventhough I'm correctly identifying the word! It's haunting me, that word is everywhere. Darn you "smenita"

    Nuffy:
    I think "nuffy" is a cute name. It reminds me of "muffy". Which reminds me of "Today's Special" Anyone rememeber that show? Good times.

     
  • At 4:15 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    I guess I should update my blog now but I'm feeling lazy, plus I'm at school and I have to go get more free cake - Happy Birthday York :D

    Nauman,
    1. Where are you going?
    2. You spelled exerted wrong, not that it matters but I like pointing out your mistakes since you're always so proper :)
    3. I can't believe you made a new email address AGAIN

    Nuffy & Squeeky, I loved Today's Special! - I always wanted to stay overnight in a department store or mall .. I had it all planned out.. it was my backup plan for if I ever wanted to run away. Maybe I'll reveal the plan one day.

    And I hate word verification which is why I don't have it! I usually type the letters wrong then have to do it all over again. Must be my pathetic vision or maybe I just don't know my alphabet/numbers yet :D

    Clairissa, another girl who goes to the gym! I really should.. I really should be more active. You know whenever someone says they go to the gym my response is I should be more active too.. I really should! :S

     

Post a Comment

<< Home