The York Series (1)

Part 1: Arts at Accolade
Well if you don't go to York but you read the paper, you'd probably have heard of THIS.
On Wednesday, the whole fine arts building was transformed into a large gallery. Students put up their work (paintings, drawings, sculptures etc) in the studios and anyone was free to walk around. Unfortunately I had to rush home to finish an essay but I did manage to take some pictures.


















Interesting stuff as you can see..
And lastly, my own painting - An interpretive book painting of Ophelia and Desdemona (from Hamlet and Othello) .. it's still a work in progress, I'll put up a picture of the final product once I'm done:

And of course.. me! I'm(pretend) feeding the crows. The crows are made of paper. Obviously I wouldn't go so close to real birds :D Don't ask me what their purpose was, they were just there. I think they were someone's art project.

And here's some random guy attempting to kick the crows. "Sigh" the lack of respect some people give art!

CURRENT MOOD: feeling creative :)
P.S My York series is going to continue on and off for the next 2 weeks or so... a sort of remembering of good times.. as I move from the realm of being a student to *gasp* being a teacher :D
P.P.S The Canadian Geese are back at York. I observed an interesting mating ritual it seemed today. More about that later.
13 Comments:
At 11:39 p.m.,
nat said…
Oh my God, I can't believe they used 50 dollar bills to make flowers!!!!!!! What the? CHARITY PEOPLE! CHARITY is what you do with money you can afford to... waste! ahhhhh! Aliya your art is fantastic. :)
At 12:09 a.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
You are so talented, masha'Allah! That was simply amazing :D And thanks for providing so many pictures of the beautiful art! I especially like the ones of the eyes, very mysterious.
At 12:33 a.m.,
Umar said…
I go to York, and I read the paper, but this is the first I've heard of the festival.
(Did I mention I'm also a Fine Arts student?)
cool stuff nonetheless.
At 3:10 p.m.,
Nauman said…
It looks like you're kicking the crows and not some random guy... :)
Visit my newest blog: Acoustic Sleep
(http://acousticsleep.blogspot.com)
At 4:57 p.m.,
'liya said…
Haha Nuffy, I'm not sure if those bills were real though they did look very real .. but they can't possibly be because then I'm 100% sure someone would have walked of with them lol. Or maybe the problem was there was this huge larger than life robot sculpture beside them so nobody really paid attention to the flowers. (I did though because robots don't interest me - though some boys in the room seemed pretty excited by it - you know guys they never grow up :D
Thanks Squeeky! There was so much nice stuff, especially paintings, I wanted to take picture of everything but I was in such a rush - at the back of my mind I kept thinking ESSAY ESSAY ESSAY so I'm not sure how much I really got to relax and totally enjoy it. They should have had it all week, one day wasn't enough to even see everything properly .. but I did see my painting professor there --with his MOM! :D
Umar, Hmm I wasn't even referring to the York paper, I meant the Toronto Star - there's been so much stuff in there but anyways how can you be a Fine Arts student and not know?!! The show was specifically for the work of 3rd and 4rth year students (and I'm assuming you're in 3rd cause you said you know Eleni!) Maybe it's because you're in design? They're kinda seperate -- like aren't your classes in a different building? :S
Nauman - are you saying I have a man's leg? That's not even a female shoe!!!! And can't you see from my picture I'm wearing boots!! Yeesh!
At 7:08 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
ha ha ha...some people are funny. You look so different in this picture from the other pictures u post of yourself...maybe cuz its a lil far. Hey u know Eleni??! by the way, ur drawing is real nice!
At 9:26 p.m.,
'liya said…
Faiza,
Probably because my cheeks are still chubby from my teeth episode :S And it was late so it looks kinda dark but I had to feed the crows, I just had to!
Eleni has lived next door to me for the past 16 years. 16 YEARS, yikes that sounds like so long and makes me feel old lol.
At 12:05 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Yes its not a random person it is me! I wasnt as bad as one kid who was running around luckly his mom yelled at him in time or he would have done more then give one the boot! Liya's work looks great! the words in it look awesome great job! She didnt put the picture of the best thing there. There was this huge robot made of metal it looked like from the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" it was awesome! it was sooooooooo big like 3 times the size of us post that pick pilly!!
At 12:49 a.m.,
Umar said…
yup, we're in the TEL building, away from all the crazy FA people.
(just kidding)
At 12:48 p.m.,
nat said…
Hey 'liya, are your paintings on two big canvases? and if they are how did you get the script printed on them?
At 1:16 p.m.,
'liya said…
Agent, Now that I think of it, your foot lends a certain dynamic to the crows, kinda like some installation art piece :) I mentioned the robot somewhere I think.. but like I said I didn't like it, it didn't seem like art :S Anyways in the pic I took of it the head got cut off .. (you've got to be kidding if you think that was the best thing there)
Umar, I thought so, but you don't have to deny it, I agree with you the FA people are definitely crazy! Tel is so nice clean, new, shiny, whatever but the fine arts building is one big paint splat :D
Nuffy, I wish you didn't ask that because I'm embaressed to say I went the cheap way and got photocopies of the pages I wanted blown up bigger and then used clear paint to hold it down onto the canvas on both sides (back and front), I then painted and wrote on top in paint. Each canvas is about the size an opened binder and to have gotten words printed directly onto the canvas would have costed me way more than I wanted to spend. It would look much better if I had gotten it copied directly onto the canvas but I didn't want to spend $50 :S
At 8:50 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
was it you're mating ritual?
At 10:33 p.m.,
'liya said…
Um ..only if I'm a Canadian Goose.. which I'm not..
Post a Comment
<< Home