To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The York Series (2)

Part 2: Free $

Unfortunately I didn't win anything in the art contest. I did however get a pack of gum which I'm going to save for tomorrow because I don't want to become a gum eating machine again. I can't really be upset.. sure I was looking forward to some free money, but I guess now that I'm old and fat I need to move over and let some new talent win. I feel fat because I ate a lot. And because my face looks fat in the graduation pictures I just got in the mail - and this is before the tooth situation! Luckily I got pictures done for both arts and education so at least I'll have one normal picture up on the walls at York. Any children I do have one day will be able to see that their mom did have some good days.. ANYWAYS about the art, yeah I'm a loser but that's okay, let's not talk about it.

Financial Advice:

Because I'm graduating this year, I thought I should impart some of my wisdom on money saving tips for those of you who'll still be in university! I was actually inspired to write this by the long speech my GO bus driver gave us on student loans, stress, and the weather. At the end of his speech he said "well nobody listen to me I'm just the bus driver" .. he's such an interesting man. I wanted to tell him I was listening but I didn't.

But on to my advice.. well there's so many ways to get free money if you're running low on funds. Of course I was lucky to have parents and my grandparents even pay for my education, but that doesn't mean I didn't do what I could to get free money. Apply for bursaries and scholarships,.. trust me, not many people do this and then the money goes to nothing. It doesn't even take long to fill those things out. If you're smart and just regularly do well in school then these things should come to you anyway :D

Next, contests! So many offered around, sign up and who knows what you'll win. Okay so you might not get free money but you might win some hand cream that will save you from having to buy some so same thing. This week in the mail I got a sample of hair gel and some other hair conditioning thing. I don't even use gel but now I shall! I love free samples.. they're really good especially if you collect a whole bunch then you don't have to buy anything for awhile. Good for make-up/body stuff.

Also if you're extremely cheap on the dull stuff like me, go to all those job/career fairs because you can stock up on pens, highlighters, post-it notes and all sorts of wonderful stuff that you'd never think of spending money on. I have so many highlighters I feel like a permanent sun. Plus the pens they're always giving out work quite nicely. This is a good way to replace back to school shopping.

Then there's always events that have free food. Went to one today! But don't overdo it. I ate too much of the free York birthday cake last week and felt quite sick after. Free food is a good way to save though because it saves you from having to buy stuff. I wanted to get some of that free cotten candy they were giving out yesterday but the line of students was way too long. I can't remember the last time I had it.. it looks so pink and pretty and airy and fairy and not dairy and now I'm just being stupid so I'm going to go sleep.

It was a beautiful day outside. I love wearing my jean jacket. And shoes with no socks.

CURRENT MOOD: Fresh and airy if that's a mood - (well that's the mood of my feet - not because they need to be aired out but because they like being free - that's free as in unrestrained not as in money.. oh forget it!)

P.S Hopefully my advice might be of some use. Don't let the big universities make you go bankrupt. Be smart and save the cheap 'liya way! If not, you can always try to rob a bank. Like Inside Man - anyone see that yet? Great movie - a little confusing but I enjoyed it :)

8 Comments:

  • At 12:28 a.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    I've known for years that you were incredibly cheap yet I never realized just how committed you were to it. The sad thing is that for all the money you save, you waste it on ridiculously expensive clothes. I know you were expecting me to comment on that and it may be predictable but I felt it necessary still. :)

     
  • At 10:54 a.m., Blogger nat said…

    There are lots of free things they give away at university, and why shouldn't they! It's the least they can do, yay for free stuff!

     
  • At 10:56 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Ohh man!, I didn't get your comment about the "though though" at first, I thought I had made a spelling mistake.. it took me awhile to think about it.. then I got it.. lol. You're funny :D

    Nauman, if you followed my money saving tips you'd be able to buy what you call "ridiculously expensive clothes" too... but they aren't "ridiculously expensive" they're not even "expensive" ... usually ..

    ..Anyways, I really need to go shopping to get those shoes I want before they don't have them anymore! I should buy some clothes for my weatherwoman too, I can see she's starting to strip. I'm worried about what she's going to wear when it gets really hot!

     
  • At 10:58 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Oh look at that! Suddenly a comment from Nuffy 2 min before mine!

    I agree! They should give away more maybe :D

     
  • At 4:46 p.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    A $149 blouse is to me expensive. A $249 pair of pants - that's expensive too... the funny thing is that you spend on that and consider it a great deal... either way, you've probably earned that right with the scholarships you've attained so mashallah on that. :)

     
  • At 8:25 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Where are you getting these numbers from? I've never paid $149 for a shirt or $249 for pants!!

     
  • At 3:48 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    Nauman you're crazy! Liya would NEVER pay that much for clothes! I go shopping with her, trust me I know!

    Miss ya lots Canadians! xoxo

     
  • At 11:56 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Sara!! Can you PLEASE post some pics or email me some or update your SA blog, I want to know what's happening on that side of the world!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home