To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

The York Series (5)

Part 5: York is Yorkdale (working title): A Tale of Two Malls!

Okay so if you don't know, York is U is like York University's school saying, slogan?. It's everywhere. If you don't get it, it's like YorkU .. York univeristy.. York is YOU/U.. okay I can't explain.

Anyways I propose a change. How about York is Yorkdale.

Up until uni, my favourite mall had always been Square One. But then once I got into my first year, a slow change began to occur.. my love changed, and I never thought it would - to stuffy old mall for rich people - Yorkdale.

If you think shopping is materialistic or a waste of time then don't continue reading. You won't get this.

*

I hadn't been to Square One in ages. And when I did go in December it just felt so awkward. I felt like I was younger and that I was there with old friends just hanging out - no intention to really buy anything. Square One was my high school mall. It's where I was practically EVERY weekend in high school. Me and Square One had some good times. He introduced me to bubble tea, showed me good hiding places, grabbed my bum when I least expected it (weirdness I know), and raced me home when I had the luxury of having a car. My first time in Aritzia. A Parasuco store. To get to Square One all I had to do was drive straight for 20 minutes and I was in his arms. Of course we had some bad memories too - every relationship does doesn't it? Like the time when I threw up in his garbage can and fainted on the bench. And the security guard had to page Annette in the Disney Store to come and help me (he couldn't pronounce Gagan's name). Was I that desperate to see my love that I skipped class and went out with my friends even though I was sick to my stomach? I guess so.

Then I outgrew Square One. Or did I cheat on him?

It was a slow attraction but it got stronger after time. He wasn't "fun" but he sure was attractive. He took me to more movies and wouldn't let me pay. Showed me how to use the subway. Introduced me to mall toilets that flush on their own. Magnificent store displays. Can you say Pottery Barn.. and Pottery Barn Kids! So I now have in interest in kitchen utensils. My mom said it's called growing up. There was flashy photography. Late nights after class. Sephora. The Rainforest Cafe's snake that almost bit my head. And all just a hop skip and jump away from school. Well not really.. I just like the phrase a hop, skip and jump away. But it doesn't take long to get there. And I'm a subway pro now. Me - from Brampton! If you had put me on the subway 4 years ago I probably would have cried. And now I'm an expert. Bad memories? None. *Sigh*..

I wonder how many times I'll be back at Yorkdale now that I'm finishing school. It's definitely going to be out of the way. Will I go back to Square One, my first love? Or will I move on to a new attraction? Eaton Centre perhaps? Nah, Eaton Centre just isn't appealing.. too "rushed" and touristy.

· Sherway Gardens - too far
· Shoppers World - too familiar
· Vaughan Mills - too new
· Woodbine Mall - I’ll never forgive them for changing the Fantasy Fair play place!
· Heartland - ew
· Erin Mills – blah
· Bramalea City Centre - bleh
· Oakville Place – blah bleh

Well you get the point.

So what do I do ? Where do I go from here? Should I give up mall shopping altogether and just like shop online? I don't think so. I've never ordered anything online before. I'm always scared it will come to me diseased or something. THIS IS NOT A TRIVIAL MATTER!

I have to go shopping for teacher's clothes. Not that I found a job yet. But you know for interviews and stuff. Not that I have an interview yet.. *super deep sigh* to get in the mood for interviews/jobs.. yeah. Or just to satisfy my cravings. I'm a girl what do you expect. I mean .. a woman.

CURRENT MOOD: Distressed! It's complicated having a mall for a lover :D

12 Comments:

  • At 1:15 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow I cant believe it! You finally admit it. Yorkdale is much better and much closer then square one. The funny part is that its in stinky North York that you always like to bad mouth! Also, if it wasnt for me I dont think you would have access to this mall! Also, you fail to mention who tought you all about the subway! Sighhhhhhhh my work always goes uncredited!

    P.S. I think you should go back to your old mall, he loves you more.

     
  • At 1:43 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Agent why would I go back to my old mall? Why does he love me more? I'm curious as to how you're interpreting this. Clearly not how I expected YOU to.

    Now why do I feel like I have a teacher's voice .. the transformation is happening already :O

    P.S North York is stinky because you live there and you smell :D

     
  • At 10:16 a.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    Yorkdale is nice and Square One is nice. The best though is Heartland just because everything is there and you can enjoy the nice weather outside in the process...

    Inshallah, you'll get your teacher's interview. With your skills and experience, you're bound to get a call or two. :)

     
  • At 2:19 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    I love both malls too! But I definitely like the familiarity of Square One, something about it is coazy and warm. By the way did you know Chris Poik works at Parasuco at Yorkdale? And if it wasnt for R living so far I would have never learned to use the subway either.. to his house or Yorkdale on the days he'd be at work and I had to kill time.
    ***
    On a more cautionary note I read in the paper that a guy was caught at Yorkdale carrying a loaded gun, I think twice about the type of people that get off the subway and into that mall. And you thought that Square One was safe did you? Think again! There was a shooting there too! No mall is safe, which is a horrible thought.

     
  • At 2:59 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :)

    Pleaseeeeee ... how can Yorkdale be called a mall? It has no Dollar Stores!! haha I love dollar stores.

    Haha you're so cute, now I have this sudden urge to visit every single mall you listed! Hmm, I think I just may now ;) I had no idea Yorkdale had that as a slogan, how funny. It definitely needs to be changed. I love going to Yorkdale, but not regularily. Way too pricey for me. It's just nice to walk around in :) But since you said Sephora, I need to make a special visit! hehe

    I love all malls, they make me super happy. And good luck, insha'Allah you'll get an interview soon! :D

     
  • At 11:52 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nauman: Heartland isn't the best. In summer it's too hot and in winter it's too cold. It takes a year to walk from one store to the next and its pointless to drive from one to the other. I suspect you're just saying it's the best because it's the closest mall to your house!

    Nuffy: you learned to use the subway on your own? That's really brave of you.. I needed help learning! I do remember Chris Poik (though I can't picture him).. and he works at Parasuco -- how lucky! I heard about the gun things too.. I guess every mall has had it's share of some gun related incidents, or dangerous stupid people. Hmm my next blog post will be about dangerous stupid people.

    Squeeky: I love dollar stores too but Yorkdale is actually smart for not having one because they take the business away from all the other stores - which is exactly what's happening in Shoppers World where they have two dollar stores and my dad is always losing customers to them!

    Sephora is great - you don't even need to buy anything, you can just go in and do your makeup and leave, I love it hehe (oh and Yorkdale doesn't have that as the slogan it's for York!).

     
  • At 12:39 a.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Your dad works at Shoppers World?! Where ... I may be going this week :D

     
  • At 9:50 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    The mention of all those malls is making me homesick but now that u mentioned all the gun violence, I really have no reason to come home. See Canada is dangerous too!

     
  • At 6:49 p.m., Blogger Roman said…

    wow, and you thought my poem was rated r... lol j/k..

    ok so only a York student would have so much time on their hands to fall in love with a mall..

    I don't think i've even been to half the malls you listed..

    now Pickering Town Centre is a REAL mall! the rest just don't measure up..

    Bir

     
  • At 12:37 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Squeeky, yes! we have a store there.. I'll email you the name in case there's any crazy stalkers checking my blog :D

    Sara, I want you to come home now. You have plenty of reasons to come home: #1 I want to go shopping with you. #2 SA is only good for vacations. and #3 you can't live there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Brother Biryani, I'm done my exams, I DO have some time! Pickering Town Centre??! What's that? lol I don't even want to go there :D

     
  • At 8:21 p.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    Man, I don't like shopping at any of those malls. Mostly because I have no money :D

     
  • At 1:49 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    I shop when I don't have money.. if that makes sense lol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home