To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

The York Series (6)

Part 6: YorkisZOO (that's a play on YorkisU!)

York is a zoo: A million people it seems, all in line trying to get onto the same bus and into the same washrooms.

=

This post is dedicated to some of the people that I've met over the past 4 years and that stand out in my mind for specific reasons. Some of these people I'd like to remember, and some of them I'd like to forget. Either way, if you're not on the list please don't feel bad! -- this is not a list of friends I made, but a list of people (and other creatures) who I found have stuck in my head for just being who they are.

1. The Kindly Old Bus Driver: Do you remember my GO bus incident? Well of course I had to put my nice old bus driver on the list. When I got on the wrong bus that fateful day of my exam and realized about 10-15 minutes into the ride that I was on the wrong bus.. well I panicked and he saved my day by driving me back to the station even though he was running on a tight schedule to get students to Hamilton.

2. The Hunchback of the Computer Lab: There's this old Jewish guy who seems to do all these odd jobs in the lab.. he's old, like at least 80 - and he's the most hunched over person I've ever seen in my life. Everytime I see him (which used to be at least twice a day sometimes), I feel the sudden urge to straighten my shoulders without having my parents to tell me. I have to give him credit though for having so much energy for such an old guy. It's just the way he looks that stays in my mind..

3. The Stalker Guy: Okay, so he's not really a stalker, but I saw this same guy EVERYWHERE during my first 3 years at York. The scary thing was he looked vaguely familiar. At first I thought maybe he went to Turner.. but I wasn't sure.. and he never did say anything to me but just always gave me really evil looks. I became convinced that he was out to get me - but I guess I let my imagination get carried away because I'm still alive.. and since he disappeared this year I found myself looking for him. Does that make me a stalker too?

4. Tulia: Argh! She's the crazy visual arts secretary who was the first person at York to make me cry - in the visual arts office! She just made me so mad one day I started screaming at her.. and that's really unusual for me because I don't raise my voice at people I don't know.. She's SO frustrating and just really rude.. She's even hung up on me on the phone before - on purpose, I know it! I hope someone "accidentally" hits her in the head with their heavy art project.

5. Professor Cohen: My Advanced
Shakespeare prof who was the first professor to actually bring sarcastic humour to life in a wonderful way. I never say anything in class but he's the first professor who's class I never wanted to miss because he was just so interesting. The first professor who told someone to "slap me" and debate with me over how my name should be pronounced. The first professor to call me "idiot"- in a joking way (I have a witness! who unfortunately agreed with him - humph!). When I become a teacher I want to be just like him - I want to make my students laugh and I also want them to be scared and in awe of me. Hmm maybe he was so great because he's South African and so am I :D

6. Melissa: I made friends with Melissa in my second year and had to put her on the list because she is by far the most nicest girl I've ever met in my life. Now a lot of people are sweet and caring, but her personality is just so honest it makes you feel good to be around people like that and she does everything to make you feel comfortable too. I wish I could be like that, I really want to be a nicer person. Anyways, I know she'll make an awesome teacher. She's the type of person you think of as your "favourite teacher" when you look back to your Cherrytree days :D

7. The Japanese Janitor: Unlike the Jewish computer guy whose religious appearence makes him memorable, there's actually many Asian and other people working as part of the large cleaning staff at York BUT how many of them say hi and ask you how your exams are going? Okay, so I don't talk to him directly because I'm a shy little girl, but V talks to him all the time .. and know he's come to know V. I always wanted to say something to him but was always scared. Scared of what? I don't know - but I'll still remember him!

8. The Chatty Bus Driver: Yes, so I have bus drivers listed twice on this list, I can't help it, I spent a lot of time on those GO buses. And to think I had taken the bus less than 3 times in my entire life before starting university. I'm going to remember this guy though because he was always such a nice person in a world not always filled with nice bus drivers. I loved the way he said goodbye and thank you in a hundred different languages (including as salaamu alaikum hehe) and the way he gave his long speeches on the speakers about how to have fun and study.

9. My Romantics (Art) Professor: I only had this guy one semester ago but you know what, I don't even remember his name - and that's not a problem because he was the absolute WORST professor I've ever had so I don't want to. Not only did he just read from his notes EVERY class, but he also read from them in the dark so we have the droning sound of the slide projector (because in art they use ancient equipment) putting us to sleep while at the same time causing us to strain our eyes so that we can write notes. Boringggg .. and it was such a pity because the Romanticism is one of my favourite art movments.

11. The Falafal Family and Girl: Well they maybe aren't a family, but I'm quite sure some of the people at the Falafal Hut are related to each other. This is where I spent most of my time eating and it's also where the girl who works there came to know me by name because of the fact that I always used coupons to get a discount on my meals (and the fact that I always ordered the same thing). Yeah, it's pretty cool to have someone know you by name so that you can walk in and say "I'll have my regular" -- okay I've never said that, but still it made me feel special :D

12. "Mr Nice": Mr Nice isn't really "human" he's an imaginary person I created to keep me company when people aren't nice to me - but shhh don't say that out loud because he'll be offended. He's REAL. So yeah, well Mr. Nice is my psychiatrist and he also took my Romantic Art class with me because he knows I'm scared of the dark. Mr. Nice is also divorced .. he doesn't want me to list the reasons here but it wasn't pretty and his wife got to keep the baby. He did however get to keep his house, which is still located at Pape Subway Station if anyone goes that way, look for the little brown shed.

13. "Fart-a": I don't like her, and "Fart-a" isn't her real name. I won't say more though in case someone knows her. She wants to kill me I know it. Don't worry though, I don't think everyone wants to kill me, Mr Nice and I just discuss these things during our therapy sessions.

14. Professor Carpenter: I've mentioned this guy in other posts but here he is again because I'll never forget his amazing laugh. I love it! When I'm old and grey I want laugh just like him. It's crazy. He's a funny little old guy who thinks a lot of himself but he has a right to I guess because as he likes to tell us, he's well-known in the Canadian art world (if that makes you well-known I'm not sure lol). I doubted him when he told us he receives 700 emails a day that he needs to reply to. I believed him when in his office I saw his msn list (yeah he chats on msn!) and email after email kept popping up .. and I was only in there for like 15 minutes.

15. The Geese: Yup the Canadian geese. I saved the best for last! In Canada we're blessed with beautiful Canadian geese who fly in a V-formation (ooh "V" that's another nice V-word). Anyways, at York, we have Canada Geese too, but we're not so blessed because for the geese, York University is their toilet. Really, they poop everywhere! And don't make honking sounds at them because they hiss back at you, I know from experience. I decided to become a bird watcher one day but immediately stopped when that nice sitting down guy in the last picture got up and I saw a big dropping fall out from his behind!









By the way I really like finding their heads sticking out from the roofs of buildings in case you can't tell. It's kinda like a game you know..find the goose head..

So who stands out at your university? There's got to be that one interesting person who you either really want to remember and one day tell your kids about, or either really want to forget, and hope you never run into them again. Or are YOU that person?!

CURRENT MOOD: Just plain ol' happy .. (My mom is the best).

11 Comments:

  • At 10:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    mmm... i really liked this post! I think that a couple of people really stand out at school for me. However, a non-university person is/was my doctor, Dr. Patterson. He was the nicest old man and gave me his cell-phone number and told me that he should kick my university in the nuts for stressing me out. He also told me his grades as a Queen's med student were not so good and that I should hang out with his grandfather. I also had his house number which he told me to use if I ever need to talk to someone. How amazing is that?! I didn't take any of the medicine he gave me because he was always confusing me with other patients but I took his advice on life, kind. He passed away recently but he was the most amazing person!!

     
  • At 10:31 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh, that last comment was me, by the way.

    heres the address to my new blog also.

     
  • At 2:48 a.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    Very interesting post. Makes me think of what I've done at Ryerson these years and who I've met and befriended. Maybe I'll put a post of that sooner or later on one of my two blogs.

     
  • At 7:03 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Ohhman: Awww, that sounds like a very sweet doctor! Maybe you should hang out with his grandfather like he said because grandfathers can be very nice people. ..A little scary that he confused you or your medication with other patients but at least he had a good impact and will be remembered in a nice way :) You're lucky to have had such a caring doctor, unfortunately I've hated every doctor I've ever been to but I do happen to like my dentist a lot :D

    Unshrinked/ohhman: Great :) I'll check it out soon!

    Nauman: I bet the people you've met aren't as great as mine! Or at least I bet you don't have any geese friends :D

     
  • At 7:37 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :D

    haha I took pictures of geese too! Weird.

    I think this is such a great entry. I was thinking of doing something similar, listing all my wonderful experiences at York but since my graduation has been delayed ... I'll save it for later :)

    I'm so glad your University experience was a wonderful one! May Allah Swt fill your future with happiness and success, ameen.

     
  • At 10:13 p.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    I really like Mr. Nice, too. He's like, nice. And those geese pictures are hilarious. It's like Where's Waldo.

    After I'm done U of T, I may very well post a post about everyone and every place I hated. "The U of T Series."

    Do something useful with your education! :D

     
  • At 1:08 a.m., Blogger Umar said…

    11. The Falafal Family and Girl


    I spent a lot of time at Falafel Hut this year, with friends from my arabic class. Mind you, I never ate from there because of something I found out about the Halal-ness of the joint.

    Popeyes is the only place I eat at on campus, and like yourself, I've become well known by one of the employees. She knows exactly what I'm going to get. Combo #4 to go, with a Pepsi, no ice. (sometimes: wrapped in the paper instead of the foam container)

     
  • At 9:50 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Squeeky: Thank you! :)
    and you know what.. my graduation might be delayed too.. I'll find out tomorrow.. so more about that later.. :S

    Asmaa: Yeah Mr. Nice is a good guy, he's always there when you want someone nice :) Hmm Where's Waldo.. haven't done those for awhile but I love those books -- and yes the geese search was like that!

    Umar: Well I never order any meat from anywhere halal or not because I don't trust anyone! - unless my dad makes it official that "they are halal" lol. The falafal plate (salads mostly) is quite nice and very filling :)

     
  • At 11:08 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    I think the most memorable professor I've had at UTM is professor Butler. He could be one of those guys on sex in the city, because he was always involved in the Toronto 'art' life, and he met Meg Ryan at the Toronto film festival one year. He didn't care if me and my friends whispered in his class and he was very trendy and cool. The most memorable thing about him was this one conversation Andre, Heather and myself had with him. We were all walking to the south building and he started telling us that when he was in high school, on a random day he decided to get high, little did he know he had to write a test that very same day for his english class. He said he ended up with a 98% on the essay but the only thing his teacher was confused about was why he kept repeating some words i.e "the the main character of of the the book...". He always stood out in my mind, he was just too cool. P.S I also liked the way he introduced himself to us "Don't call me "Sir", call me "Professor Butler" or "Dr. Butler" please, I didn't do a PhD for nothing!" lol that was cool too!

     
  • At 12:26 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think this was your best post so far. The only thing is that your mssing some very important people!!!! People that come to my mind are Mrs Kun (best professor in the history of the world, shes like a nice mother) Our photography teacher, I wonder if he was gay........ My friend the teeth guy, I never head of anyone with that many teeth and on top of that, that many teeth removed and last but not least the nose picker in the computer lab.. he was just gross. If I could add one more I would add the girl who screamed at that guy today, that was kinda funny, he didnt really deserve that and she got upset over such a stupid thing. sighhhh what is wrong with people.

     
  • At 1:52 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Agent: Why would I put Kun on the list she had an annoying voice and you just liked her because you handed in my essay ..MY ESSAY ..MY ESSAYYYYYYY... and got a better mark for it than I did because she LIKED YOU. Humph! Did I mention it was my essay? You used all my work and I got no credit for helping you.

    The teeth guy, yeah he could have made the list.. nosepicker, no I never saw him, he could go on your list! And the photography teacher nah he was just okay. I didn't like his bald head and odd sense of humour. I don't think he was gay though, remember the hairy legs girl? - I think that was his girlfriend. Oh I should have put her on the list!!

    Nuffy: I had a professor who also insisted we call her "Dr." but it was weird because her name was Goody so it was like Dr. Goody.. and she looked really scary .. very old, pale, skinny, too blond, and she wore clothes that were too young for her. But she was really nice!

    I had another professor who has two sons in high school and he would tell us that they drink a lot and sometimes go to school drunk but he hopes they don't get caught. He was nice too but I wondered how his sons could be so young if he was like 80. I think he might have been referring to himself :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home