To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

My Walk

Ever visit your old elementary school just because? I needed to sort my thoughts out today so I decided to take a walk.. I have a lot of things on my mind .. too many to list here, so I'm just going to talk about my walk :)

It was a nice walk.

Sunny.

A slight breeze.

The people on the corner were fixing their roof. They had their daughter up on the roof too and I thought that was a little dangerous but what could I say..

A dog barked.

Birds chirped.

A car slowly drove by.

I was going to take a walk around Cherrytree Drive which is the length of a good walk but I didn't feel like seeing any signs of human life so I detoured onto the school grounds instead.

There was nobody there and it was nice and peaceful.










The red line marks Cherrytree Drive. The blue line is the around Cherrytree School. I like this image because I can point exactly to my house. Yes, my exact house!

Well I hadn't been to the school area for awhile. Only inside, when I gone to vote. It was different and that made me feel old - the outside, not the inside.

The little hills along the path going into the school playground aren't there anymore. I think someone got hurt there and they removed them. Or maybe it was to extend the pathway. Either way, that was where we used to play "crocodile" .. you know, one person is the crocodile and the others have to jump across before he/she gets you- or you become the crocodile..

The trees where we used to play "house" have long been cut down. There used to be two triangluar shaped areas and my friends and I would each have a "house" inside. Hmm .. that was also where I broke my water filled sparkly baton .. which later leaked all over my Little Mermaid backpack and into my Barbie lunchbox. Hey, do kids still use lunchboxes? My brother uses a plastic bag.

The trees along the fence are gone.. that's where we used to play hide-n-seek. That's also where we used to observe the crazy lady's house who everyone said was a murderer. I wonder who started that rumour. I wonder if she knew what people said about her.

The trees along the path are gone.. that's where we used to play "witches." It was fun until a teacher caught use pouring our "potions" - (shampoo and soap mixtures) down the trees. Maybe this is why most of the trees are gone?

I made up some weird games as a kid. I remember the spin-off to "witches" that I made where we had to cook each other in our big cauldrons while chanting the ingredients we'd throw inside. The people inside would eventually "die."

My parents say I had the biggest imagination from all my siblings. Maybe that's why I turned out to be the weird "artsy" one according to them.

I remember the one game we had where we all had to throw stuff at the "bad guy" in order to get the secret key. Only there never was a secret key. That's how it was supposed to be. Don't worry, we only threw light things.. like stuffed animals and shoes.

Even the games printed on the pavement look different. The Four Squares game is still there though. I liked that.

The new two storey addition the to school that popped up a few years ago wiped out the entrance we had to use to go to Ms Hoggart's classroom. I know this isn't really nice, but I wonder if she's still alive. Bagpipes..

***

It would be nice to teach at Cherrytree, however I'm only qualified to teach from grades 7-12. Should I do a course in the summer to qualifiy myself for the elementary grades as well? I'm debating. Should I do a course in the summer to increase my pay by $5000? I'm debating. Should I go to South Africa in the summer? My parents said it's my choice. I'm debating. Should I get a summer job at the summer school camp I taught at last year? I'm debating that as well.

I guess I need to get some things done first. Like my online course exam which is set for next Saturday. And my teaching block, which begins tomorrow. I have a busy month ahead of me. I apologize if I don't blog as much, but I'm sure I'll find the time to.

CURRENT MOOD: Remembering

17 Comments:

  • At 7:22 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :)

    Aww, you really do have a lot on your mind. And walks are nice to just ease the thoughts sometimes, I do that quite a bit myself actually.

    I miss my elementary school, one of the best days of my life haha And it's so funny that you mentioned "the crazy lady's house who everyone said was a murderer" because we had similar stories about a house behind one of the fences ... there were red stains on the window :S

    Just take everything one step at a time :) Insha'Allah you'll be able to figure things out for yourself. And going to South Africa this summer sounds exciting!

     
  • At 7:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow this is a pretty long post! I like going for walks in my area too. They help you relax and let thoughts flow around in your brain. How do u konw which one is your exact house?? How did u figure this out and more importantly why did you figure this out! I ususally go inside my old elementry school when I vote too, it brings back so many memories. I still remember where pretty much everything is. The major problem wiht that place is that the urinals are so damn small cuz the kids are only 3 feet tall! I used to have a lunch box when I was small but I didnt have it for too long. I then switched to the bag system like most people so that I dont have to carry anything home. the funny thing is when I went to work I went to the workers lunch room and I seen a lunch box that was all metal. It looked like the lunch box Fred Flintstone used to have in the cartoons!

     
  • At 8:42 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Squeeky: Maybe the two women were related?! Or maybe the kid who went to my school had a cousin who went to yours and they both decided to start the same rumour at each school! Or maybe there's just always a "murderer" living by every school.. Hmmmm :S

    I shall try to take everything one step at a time, Inshallah :)

    Agent: How do you not know which is my house? I'm not going to give the exact location on here because who knows what some crazies might do, but just calculate from where the school is located. Once you see that and you know I live super close to the school, you can find my street .. then you just count houses on the side of each end till you get to mine - maybe you have to live in my house to know it, but I can pretty much name off who's house everyone on my street's is. Plus when I found the picture I just use the zoom button to get in close and check for sure.

    You didn't mention what was on your lunchbox though.. was it Barbie too? ;)

     
  • At 9:15 p.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    I think I had a lunchbox but I can't remember what it was about. It wasn't Barbie.

    I haven't taken a walk (for leisure purposes) in a long time. I could use one of those I guess.

    Visiting old schools is nice though I don't have any desire to do that. At this point, all I care about is getting out of school and not having to look back inshallah.

     
  • At 11:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My lunch box had an old Japanese cartoon charector on it. His name was Orion Quest and he controlled a robot called Grandizer. This was wayyy before Japanese cartoons became popular.

     
  • At 4:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awww..i loved this post becuz i love reminicisin bout Canada...and man do i have alot of memories from CherryTree....i remember Ms. Hoggett's class and i think that was tha only class she taught cuz tha next year she became the librarian...i remember u sittin near tha wall and i came up to u and asked either if u wanted to b my friend or play wit me...that was tha start of our friendship!!...lol....we were soo small..and i remember those "witches" games too....and than remember how our moms would request for us to be in tha same class cuz we were inseparable...lol...awww..good memories...well im comin to canada soon!!..hopefully sometime this week..but i will let u kno...and hopefully we can chill befo i see u at Farah's weddin so we can get some talk time in....newayz....i think u should go to South Africa and take a course so u get paid $5000 more...iite..well ill b talkin to u soon...take care...

     
  • At 5:19 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nauman: If you can't remember then I'm going to think it's Barbie hehe.

    My walk wasn't for leisure purposes though, it was to THINK!
    And I can't help looking back, I had a wonderful childhood. Plus I can only look and back smile - even for the bad parts, like getting slapped, bruising a knee, or tasting my witches potion out of curiosity :D

    Agent: Why can't you have some normal boy thing like I don't know, Superman?

    Orion Quest???? Grandizer???? LOL. I picture you as a chubby little kid. Oh wait, you were :D

    Samia: Hmm you think I should go to SA and do the course too.. I'd love to do both but I don't think I can. I'm gonna have to choose.. and soon :(

    I have tons of memories from Cherrytree too but for some reason most of mine start from grade 2. I only have vague memories of grade 1, but I can't believe you remember where I sat (although I remember where I sat in all my other grades)! And what you said to me! lol. I seem to have a different memory of us becoming friends though. I remember crying outside by the wall. Hey remember that wall - with the stones we used to pick off?? Or was that Fletcher's.. hmmm.. yeah I was crying and then you asked me if I wanted to play or something. Or maybe I'm confused. Maybe I was crying because you didn't want to play with me lol.

    We'll have to meet up for sure, just let me know ahead of time beacause I'm teaching everyday during the weeks so I only have weekends free. See you soon Inshallah. And be careful driving here!

     
  • At 11:23 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    I remember when I first came to CherryTree, I transferred from C.H.Best public school in Toronto. It was great because everyone was so friendly to me, I was in Mr. Henshell's class (if thats how you spell his name) and I remember having a Beetle Juice lunch box, I believe I still have it... I remember playing "We're going to kentucky we're going to the fair..." those were fun days!

     
  • At 12:37 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think ur right..i think u were sittin beside tha wall cryin and i came up to u....well i guess thas when we started our friendship..lol....and i dun kno if im drivin..my mom is wantin me to take a plane..and i dun mind that either cept its SOO expensive cuz its last minute like almost 600 dollars and i dun have money like that..so ima figure it out....well if u have time aftah ur teachin we can get together and figure out outfits that we can wear cuz im not too sure yet but ima bring a bunch of stuff..newayz....find out bout when tha course is and plan SA around it....even if for a week or so...it'll b worth it to vacation there and relax...newayz...talk to yah soon!!...

     
  • At 12:50 a.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    I had Mr. Henshall as my grade two teacher... he wound up marrying the other grade two teacher whose name I forget. All I remember about grade two is Mr. Henshall's sarcastic comments and Friday get-togethers at the "pod" where we sang songs like:

    "Willabee, Wallabee, woo - an elephant sat on you..."

    Good memories.

     
  • At 4:45 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nuffy & Nauman: Look at that, you both had the same teacher, and Nauman I didn't even know you went to Cherrytree lol. I remember both those songs tooo hehe :D And I was in the pod - that was my classroom in grade 2 - and Samia was on the other side of the pod!

    Samia: I have no idea what I'm going to wear either. At least you have choices because I don't really have many .. actually make that hardly any.. hmm I'll have to see about after teaching because my teacher doesn't let me leave until late which sucks. Today I was so bored because it was an early release day and we had to stay for a staff meeting and development workshops .. "sigh" ..

     
  • At 11:28 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    He married Miss Mansweaty, i dunno how you write her name.. but thats how you say it. :D

     
  • At 1:43 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    have u every failed a course at UNI? I just got my marks and I failed my first course....I feel like to die!

     
  • At 9:59 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nuffy, I like how you spelled it :D
    (and I remember her - but not him)

    Anonymous, no I've never failed a course .. all of the courses that I've taken I really like (or try to like lol) amd I always work hard in to do well. I'd probably feel like I was going to die too if I were in that situation.

    I'm sorry that you failed one, but it's your first course you say? - you have three more years to make up for that one then so you could look at it that way. You didn't mention why you failed though - was it because it you didn't try or because it was too hard? As a future teacher I can't give any advice until I know more! But I do hope you feel better :)

     
  • At 7:15 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    Pilly come to SA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 9:35 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My dear I know just how you feel.
    Been going through some moerse kak (big sh*t) at the moment.

    Inshallah it will all work out for you.

    And being a South African, maybe a holiday in Cape Town-Johannesburg-Durban could do you some good...although we're having the freakishly coldest weather we've had in years at the moment!

     
  • At 8:54 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    :O Another S.African! Yay! hehe, thanks Belladonna :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home