The New Oakville is STILL New
I wrote the last exam of my life yesterday and it cost me practically $100 to write it. Some advice: DON'T EVER TAKE AN ONLINE COURSE!!!
To calm down I decided to go to my grandma's "new" house with my family. My family goes there practically every weekend but I hadn't been there for the longest time because I've been so busy.. and still am but wanted to go because my grandma said she cooked just for me...
The food was great :D
....and then I was bored so I decided to take pictures. Only nobody wanted to be in my pictures. So I took pictures of the house.
Front outside view:

It looks like a nice little house so far right? Well this is across the street:

There's like construction all over. People are still moving in everywhere. There aren't even any fences in the backyard. Just one big open space:


I guess it made the perfect soccer field though so my dad and cousins used it to play. If I were younger I would've run from one end to the other... but I'm old and practically graduated so I did what any adult person would do -- I ate a lot, complained loudly that there was no TV, snooped through the boxes in the half finished basement looking for stuff for me, and chased my baby cousin around the house threatening to kiss him :D
Inside, the only furnished rooms are my grandparent's bedroom, the kitchen, and living room. But the kitchen and living room were too full of people who didn't want to be photographed. And my sister and cousin were talking about boy secrets in the bedroom and wouldn't let me in. I tried listening at the door but it was still hard. So I took pictures of empty rooms:

And practically empty rooms with weird paper curtains:

And then I came across an interesting sight. A window that faces the neighbour's brick wall. What a fascinating view. What makes it more fascinating is that you can see my ghostly reflection.

I still hate this house. I'm still mad at them for moving. I miss the old Oakville.
CURRENT MOOD: Anticipating dinner (my sister cooked something yummy for mother's day).
To calm down I decided to go to my grandma's "new" house with my family. My family goes there practically every weekend but I hadn't been there for the longest time because I've been so busy.. and still am but wanted to go because my grandma said she cooked just for me...
The food was great :D
....and then I was bored so I decided to take pictures. Only nobody wanted to be in my pictures. So I took pictures of the house.
Front outside view:

It looks like a nice little house so far right? Well this is across the street:

There's like construction all over. People are still moving in everywhere. There aren't even any fences in the backyard. Just one big open space:


I guess it made the perfect soccer field though so my dad and cousins used it to play. If I were younger I would've run from one end to the other... but I'm old and practically graduated so I did what any adult person would do -- I ate a lot, complained loudly that there was no TV, snooped through the boxes in the half finished basement looking for stuff for me, and chased my baby cousin around the house threatening to kiss him :D
Inside, the only furnished rooms are my grandparent's bedroom, the kitchen, and living room. But the kitchen and living room were too full of people who didn't want to be photographed. And my sister and cousin were talking about boy secrets in the bedroom and wouldn't let me in. I tried listening at the door but it was still hard. So I took pictures of empty rooms:

And practically empty rooms with weird paper curtains:

And then I came across an interesting sight. A window that faces the neighbour's brick wall. What a fascinating view. What makes it more fascinating is that you can see my ghostly reflection.

I still hate this house. I'm still mad at them for moving. I miss the old Oakville.
CURRENT MOOD: Anticipating dinner (my sister cooked something yummy for mother's day).
11 Comments:
At 10:53 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Hey Aaliya..guess who's here??!....=)...i came wed night so i been here a couple days but been busy jus helpin around tha house....well i dun kno if u wanna chill like tuesday afternoon or not....or if u cant i guess ill jus see u on friday at tha wedding..but lemme kno....email me or suttin iite??!...well i miss ur grandmas house too....we had so much fun in that house....and so much good food...yummyy....iite..well lemme kno...
At 12:55 a.m.,
Roman said…
lol my room's window also faces the neighbour's brick wall.. it's great to be honest.. never have to worry about outside noise.. i can keep my window open.. doesn't get TOO windy because of the space between the two houses and there's always a breeze due to the tunnel effect..
windows facing brick walls rock!
At 4:27 p.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
hahaha You're soo funny! I loved how you showed the house (which was beautiful, masha'Allah) and then what's across the street. I'm still laughing! *wipes tear* And I think the picture of your ghostly reflection is very artsy :)
I'm glad that someone else likes to take random pictures of things! I think my parent's are thinking of moving to another house :S It better be just thoughts *grr*
And congrats with the last exam ;)
At 5:01 p.m.,
'liya said…
Samia: Yay you're here! Well I can't on Tuesday because I have so much marking to do..I guess I'll just see you at the wedding then or if you're going to stay a couple days after I might get to do something .. I still don't have anything to wear though - have you decided? My mom offered to buy me something if it's "useful" and that I can use it to wear to teaching after, so I might just take her up on that offer since it'll be an opportunity for free clothing for me :D
Brother Biryani: Glad to see the window-facing-the-wall has worked out for you lol. I don't think I'd like it very much - those kind of things make me go crazy. In my computer room there's a window that faces a brick wall and I always get distracted looking out and counting the lines I see. But then I'm weird because not many people would get distracted by these things :S
Squeeky: Yup I just had to capture the contrast of the new house and the mess across the street! I do like taking random pictures.. plus it's not like I had anything better to do except eat, complain and chase my cousin :D I'm happy to be done my exam.. still that one essay to go though.. almost done.. !!
At 8:15 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Its hard getting used to a new house especially since you been there since you were a little girl. I remember when my cousins house burned down. He had to move out for 6 months. I thought it would be temporary until they fixed it but instead he moved to another house. It was heart breaking. They still own the other house but when I go back everything is so different that its just not how it used to be..
At 12:32 p.m.,
Nauman said…
It takes time to get adjusted to a new house. I think this new house in Oakville is nice and will look better after it's been fully furnished.
I always liked the fenceless backyards - it seemed very open with the lush green grass stretching for so long.
The best part of your posts are the stories - it's so funny how you progress from one thing to the next as if it's natural to do so. Keep up the good work with your posts.
At 5:14 p.m.,
'liya said…
Agent: Do you cry too? I remember you cried when Andrew moved hehe. .... sorry I know you're being serious! - yes it is heartbreaking. Especially when you already have the most perfect memories like my glue lump which was on the table and every single baby in my family has played with it and said "glue" .. only now there's no more that table so no more glue lump. I started it. I need to start a new one. "Sigh"..
Nauman: Maybe.. but I liked their old furniture..
Thanks for the compliment. It IS natural.. for me anyway since I tend to think in fragments .. and ever since I wrote an essay on fragmentation in literature it's been inspiring me :D
At 7:41 p.m.,
Asmaa said…
I was looking at old pictures today, of me and my unruly gang of siblings. SubhanAllah, so beautiful. And then it hurts - how time passes and people change, and people move away, and there are less smiles and more stress.
It's time that you can never get back, and that's sad.
Then I remember Surat Al-Asr:
By (the Token of) Time (through the ages),
Verily Man is in loss,
Except such as have Faith, and do righteous deeds, and (join together) in the mutual teaching of Truth, and of Patience and Constancy.
And then life makes so much sense :)
At 2:42 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
hey...well i think u should get a new outfit..and i think ive decided on wearin a sari...so i think u should wear one too!!...and we'll chill at the weddin tho ima b runnin around like a chicken wit its head cut off helpin out wit seatin and otha lil things...but ill see u in 2 days!!...
At 5:07 p.m.,
'liya said…
Thanks Asmaa, it does make sense :)
Samia, I'm not going to wear a sari because I feel like a big sick lump - I'm just going to wear a skirt. It's kind of plain but at least my mom's paying for it and I can use it again for teaching after .. although.. it's not really a wedding type skirt.. hmm if I feel better maybe I'll change my mind :)
At 4:50 p.m.,
'liya said…
:D
Post a Comment
<< Home