Advice Please!?
So help me. I've accepted two summer jobs for the same time. AGAIN. The same thing happened last summer, but last summer I actually managed to pull through, thanks to V who took over for one when they overlapped. Of course again this time when I found out I was accepted for two summer jobs my little head begin plotting ways of trying squeeze both in to make the most money. This time however, it's a little bit more complicated... both jobs begin on the exact same day. July 5th.
Job 1: An EQAO scorer
pay - $150/day for 8 days, 8 hours a day
This generally sounds like a more cushy job - technically I'd only be working 7 hours a day (lunch and breaks, plus finishing early). I'd be marking EQAO grade 3 and 6 literacy and math tests all day and would be surrounded by other people in the education field.. some who might have connections that would open some doors to a real teaching position (who knows!? scorers are coming in from all over - if you live far from the location they even pay your hotel accomodation! - but I only live 15 minutes away from the location, the Toronto Congress Centre). $1200 would also be the most money I ever made in 8 days..
Job 2: Summer Camp grade 2 teacher
pay - $12.50/hour for 8 hours a day, 33 days
This is for one of the companies I worked with last summer so I'm already familiar with them. We had our own class of around 25 kids and our own nice air conditioned classroom. Most of the kids were well-behaved. 2-3 drove us insane. But last summer I was an assistant teacher and was only paid $10/hour. This summer I'd be a "real" teacher and have my own assistant. This job would also be a lot more hectic. There's 1-2 trips/week and there's a TON of responsibility placed on you. You're given a curriculum/schedule to follow and everything is layed out for you (ex. computer lab time, when to do language arts, when you have gym time etc.), but you still have to deal with irritable parents and children who get sick .. and marking math.
So I ask your advice, which one do I take, and why? Both are education related. Job 1 would certainly be easier. Sitting around all day marking tests is much easier than chasing a class of 25 children around African Lion Safari. Maybe I deserve a break from 4 years of nonstop studying and should consider the easier option. But then what do I do with the rest of my summer since it's only for 1 week? I definitely don't want to spend it working in my dad's store - he always jokes that he'll pay me right away and then sometimes I don't see the money for months! I could always look for another job for after that.. but what if I don't find anything? I don't want to sit around at home - I seriously don't know what people do at home -- I spent the past week trying to keep myself "busy!"
Hmmmm.... advice please!?
CURRENT MOOD: Conflicted and money hungry
Job 1: An EQAO scorer
pay - $150/day for 8 days, 8 hours a day
This generally sounds like a more cushy job - technically I'd only be working 7 hours a day (lunch and breaks, plus finishing early). I'd be marking EQAO grade 3 and 6 literacy and math tests all day and would be surrounded by other people in the education field.. some who might have connections that would open some doors to a real teaching position (who knows!? scorers are coming in from all over - if you live far from the location they even pay your hotel accomodation! - but I only live 15 minutes away from the location, the Toronto Congress Centre). $1200 would also be the most money I ever made in 8 days..
Job 2: Summer Camp grade 2 teacher
pay - $12.50/hour for 8 hours a day, 33 days
This is for one of the companies I worked with last summer so I'm already familiar with them. We had our own class of around 25 kids and our own nice air conditioned classroom. Most of the kids were well-behaved. 2-3 drove us insane. But last summer I was an assistant teacher and was only paid $10/hour. This summer I'd be a "real" teacher and have my own assistant. This job would also be a lot more hectic. There's 1-2 trips/week and there's a TON of responsibility placed on you. You're given a curriculum/schedule to follow and everything is layed out for you (ex. computer lab time, when to do language arts, when you have gym time etc.), but you still have to deal with irritable parents and children who get sick .. and marking math.
So I ask your advice, which one do I take, and why? Both are education related. Job 1 would certainly be easier. Sitting around all day marking tests is much easier than chasing a class of 25 children around African Lion Safari. Maybe I deserve a break from 4 years of nonstop studying and should consider the easier option. But then what do I do with the rest of my summer since it's only for 1 week? I definitely don't want to spend it working in my dad's store - he always jokes that he'll pay me right away and then sometimes I don't see the money for months! I could always look for another job for after that.. but what if I don't find anything? I don't want to sit around at home - I seriously don't know what people do at home -- I spent the past week trying to keep myself "busy!"
Hmmmm.... advice please!?
CURRENT MOOD: Conflicted and money hungry
14 Comments:
At 10:04 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Wow the first one to post! I bet while I'm writing this someone is goign to steal my number one spot! I feel that you should ask the teaching one if you can come in one week late. That way you can maximize your profits!!! If not just do the marking anyways, it will be a different experience and I wont have to hear stories about how the kids drove you nuts!!!
At 11:23 p.m.,
'liya said…
Agent, but on the phone you told me to choose the camp job.. now I'm confused.. I told you we needed to discuss my situation further! Tomorrow I get extra phone time!!
At 12:47 a.m.,
Roman said…
Choose whichever one you'll get more satisfaction out of. I'd probably choose the camp. Then again I like being around kids.
Better yet, maybe you can do one and convince the employer to hire one of ur freinds for the other.
G'Luck,
Bir
At 1:31 p.m.,
Nauman said…
Do what you feel is best in terms of the experience and the usage of time... maybe you need a break from school and could benefit from having the rest of the summer to focus on applying for jobs for September, resting, etc...
At 6:55 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
hey liya
Oh I wish I had that kind of choice! lol...but no I'm stuck doing summer school...but if I were u, Id do the EQAO job, make the money and buy myself a ticket to maybe South Africa in ur case? lol...or if u can go to SA even after the other job with the kids, Id do that one. I'd base my job choice on when I wanted to go away on vacation....lol
At 8:02 p.m.,
'liya said…
Hydroman, the camp would definitely give me more satisfaction. I thought about getting a friend to do one.. and the camp might be open to letting someone take over the first 8 days, so I'm going to ask the guy in charge when I meet him on Sunday to sign the papers.. I'll see what he says.
Nauman, EQAO would give me time to job hunt for September.. but job hunting only takes so much time.. especially when there aren't that many jobs to look from :( In terms of experience, maybe EQAO.. although my sister pointed out to me today that I'll be spending my whole life marking tests so why do I want to do it now.
Anonymous, at least with summer school you'll have a lighter load during the school year! That's a good idea though about planning around a vacation in SA.. and someonefrom my family is getting married there at the end of August.. I wonder if I could make it there.. hmmmm
At 7:00 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Can't you speak to the management of the camp and ask if you can come a week late????
At 11:45 a.m.,
Muhammad said…
Take the $150/day for 8 days and work the rest of the days for $12.50/hour at the other place.
:)
hope it works out :P
Peace,
M.
At 11:56 a.m.,
Umar said…
i'd advise on the second option....
not only do you already have a connection with them already (and thus an opportunity for employment later on)... but it'll also last longer.
At 1:02 a.m.,
Becky L said…
I'd probably go for the first, BECAUSE you said it could really open up doors for you for teaching jobs in the future. In the long run, thats whats most important.
At 12:24 p.m.,
'liya said…
Belladonna
& Muhammed,
I've decided that's what I'm actually going to try to do.. only I have a feeling he's going to say no because it's a big summer school camp and I'm just a tiny part that they could maybe even do without :O Oh well we'll see how it goes - I meet him tomorrow!
Umar
&
Becky,
Argh you both are giving me different answers! - but very good reasons :S
At 3:40 a.m.,
Bilal said…
work sucks- take the easier job!
At 11:17 p.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :D
Have you decided yet?
I feel it's all about comfort. I would never want to work anywhere that made me uncomfy so think to yourself which place that may be for you. Insha'Allah whatever decision you make, will be the best for you :)
At 11:53 p.m.,
'liya said…
Bilal, :D
Squeeky, I haven't decided yet.. I met the camp director for an orientation session but he hadn't decided on what school I'll be assigned to yet or what grade so I'm going to wait and see whether that will satisfy me and then decide :S (also I didn't want to bring up whether I could possibly do both jobs yet because he seemed kinda stressed out).
Post a Comment
<< Home