FIFA Fever!
All you need is a ball. And somewhere to play. Such as the hallway of your house. My family is soccer obsessed and it's always been that way and always will. Sometimes I wonder if the reason we bought this house so many years ago was because of the big hallway that would one day become our very own indoor soccer field. The doorway to the computer room marks one "net," and the larger doorway across te hall to the living room marks another "net." When I was a kid I used to think my dad like playing soccer more than me. Really.
Everyone in my family is cheering for a different team. My sister is going for France because she loves Zidane and this is his last time playing before he retires. My dad is going for either England or Brazil - he keeps changing his mind. My mom wants a African country to win just because, though that's unlikely. I try. I want Brazil to win because my sister has this really nice Brazil hat that she sometimes lets me wear when I'm nice to her. Hey, it's a nice hat.. so I support the game for different reasons - so what!
France vs. Korea.
1-0
Yes, 'liya is watching too.
It's halftime.
I'm definitely not a sport-type person but if I had to pick a sport to watch it would be soccer - just to see my family get so excited. And, in all the excitement, I get excited too and start doing silly things like yelling out whatever their shouting. I guess it's contagious.
We had a sorta sidewalk sale at the mall the other day and I was working at my parent's store. I was watching the tables outside to make sure nobody walked off with any of our merchandise when this guy came by and started reorganizing the towels to make the Italy flag. I tried to make a sale: 3 washcloths for $3.99 .. but the red was the wrong colour. Too orangy. He didn't buy... but tried to convince me that Italy was the best team.
So, are you a fan?
C'mon, admit it, soccer is much more fun than hockey - and the players look better too :D
CURRENT MOOD: Go Zidane!
Everyone in my family is cheering for a different team. My sister is going for France because she loves Zidane and this is his last time playing before he retires. My dad is going for either England or Brazil - he keeps changing his mind. My mom wants a African country to win just because, though that's unlikely. I try. I want Brazil to win because my sister has this really nice Brazil hat that she sometimes lets me wear when I'm nice to her. Hey, it's a nice hat.. so I support the game for different reasons - so what!
France vs. Korea.
1-0
Yes, 'liya is watching too.
It's halftime.
I'm definitely not a sport-type person but if I had to pick a sport to watch it would be soccer - just to see my family get so excited. And, in all the excitement, I get excited too and start doing silly things like yelling out whatever their shouting. I guess it's contagious.
We had a sorta sidewalk sale at the mall the other day and I was working at my parent's store. I was watching the tables outside to make sure nobody walked off with any of our merchandise when this guy came by and started reorganizing the towels to make the Italy flag. I tried to make a sale: 3 washcloths for $3.99 .. but the red was the wrong colour. Too orangy. He didn't buy... but tried to convince me that Italy was the best team.
So, are you a fan?
C'mon, admit it, soccer is much more fun than hockey - and the players look better too :D
CURRENT MOOD: Go Zidane!
12 Comments:
At 8:23 p.m.,
Asmaa said…
"Soccer" by Asmaa.
Soccer is a wonderful thing.
Something to be cherished and nurtured.
And something that will refresh us in return.
It can be found in each of us
and it can bring light into the darkest of places.
Ahem.
Zidane is so cool. My favourite thing about the world cup is watching the Muslim teams make Sajdah after they score a goal. It sorta snaps you out of the whole sports mentality and reminds you of something you weren't necessarily thinking about :)
At 10:45 p.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :D
Oh goodness, this whole soccer craze, I just don't get it. Maybe because no one I know watches it so religiously hehe
But I must agree, the players are definitely better looking :)
At 12:00 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
All I got to say is GO Holland! The final score ended up 1-1 with korea scoring a late goal. I cant wait till the knockout round starts. I think I'm going to go watch some of these games downtown. I found out an interesting fact, Zidane is originally from Africa! I noticed a lot of coutries just import players, how cheap!
At 1:21 a.m.,
nat said…
I am routing for Germany, I personally don't like Brazil because they have a bunch of CHEATERS on their team! I will never forget that game four years ago against Turkey, they got a penalty shot for faking an injury. How do you fake an injury you might ask? Easy, you hold your eye as if it were in pain when the soccer ball hit you in the leg... We all saw the replay you stupid moron, but you got away with it jackass! I am routing for Germany for a few reasons 1.) There are many Turks living in Germany, Ilhan Mansiz was born there (Soccer player on Turkish team), and 2.) The world cup is being played in their home country, which would be an extremely national experience for Germans.
(I mean I don't really follow hockey, but because the Oilers are from Edmonton, I really want them to win.)
Go GERMANY GO! WA HOO!
At 2:29 a.m.,
Nauman said…
I also like how the Muslim teams do sajdah after scoring one of their rare goals, lol. I always love the underdog teams like Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Morocco (not in the World Cup this year), Nigeria (not in the World Cup this year)...
The team that I want to win though is either the Netherlands or Spain... I like both countries for some reason. Wouldn't mind if Germany won since it was cool when France won it in 1998 on homesoil (I wanted them to win too, yay!).
And yes, Zidane was born in Algeria I believe but lived in France and became eligible that way. Funny thing is that the entire French team looks like it was 'imported'. No white caucasian French people there that I saw. :)
At 4:06 a.m.,
sara said…
I miss world cup fever in toronto! don't get me wrong, people are soccer crazy here too, but I miss driving downtown and seeing all the flags and crazy fans screaming in the streets! How was college street Saturday night?!
At 5:09 a.m.,
Saaleha Idrees Bamjee said…
Go Go Ghana :)
At 5:45 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
I like Brazil for the sole reason that Kaka plays for them.
I like France for the sole reason that Zidane plays for them.
I like Saudi and Tunisia because they are Muslims.
I like Ghana coz AMA AFRIKA!
:P
At 9:28 p.m.,
'liya said…
Wow!! Everyone likes such different teams, I don't think any of us are cheering for the same ones. Glad to see such enthusiastic soccer fans out there though!
I'll have to do another soccer posting soon, until then, keep watching :D
At 4:15 a.m.,
Bilal said…
Viva Afika!
I was all behind Ghana but there was some goof waving an Israeli flag every time they scored!* Really P#$$ed me off...
But I hope that some African side makes it through...
At 10:10 a.m.,
Muhammad said…
brazil are playing like crap, and ghana kicked ass until that dude started waving israel all over... well he plays for an israeli team... blah.
anyway.. my 2 cents... i support Africa but i doubt they'll get far.
anyhow, cool blog... btw did you notice how females are watching soccer these days? hard core role reversal. :P
Peace,
M.
At 12:26 p.m.,
'liya said…
I have more South Africans on my blog! yay! :D
Bilal & Muhammed, yes definitely, more females are watching soccer... it's their dads and brothers and other male influences in their life that push them into this madness!
Post a Comment
<< Home