Friends with Money
Well so much for having nothing to do at home. I was quite busy last week -- I can't even remember doing what now, but I did realize one thing - my friends have a lot of money. Not super a lot, but definitely more than most people my age. Meanwhile I still make sure to save the free movie tickets on the back of Cheerios boxes :D
Annette and I went to Gagan's "new" house for the first time. Some best friends we are - she's had the house for awhile now! Anyways, we were quite surprised by how.. well lovely it looked - we certainly didn't expect to see so much so soon. I'm happy for her that everything is slowly turning out okay. She's the one I blogged about before, the one whose family didn't accept her boyfriend because of his religion and so she left home.
Well the house they bought is pretty nice. Actually it looks a lot like my grandparent's new home. They've even finished the basement already.
Here's a picture of part of her kitchen. I love how they put mirrors instead of tiles on the walls above the counters. It makes everything look so much bigger (and you can see my huge camera flash).

After visiting her, I couldn't help wishing I was in her place. Well not the whole family situation thing, but the having my own house part. Sometimes I like to imagine how I'd want my own house to look like. Okay, not sometimes, a lot of the time. I love flipping through the New in Homes section of the Toronto Star every Saturday and I really like visiting model homes to see different ways of decorating. I already have so many ideas in my head - actually okay I admit it, I have a written list of everything I want. The list is pretty long and I don't know how I'd ever be able to afford half the things I want. I think I should probably scratch the idea of having fishtanks built as a border around a room (built into the wall so that you can see through the fishtanks into other rooms) - I saw this in a magazine before and it looked so beautiful. At least I'm not like my weirdo sister who wants to live in a Hobbit hole.
Anyways, we had a great time and promised to spend more time together now that I'm sorta more free. When Gagan's boyfriend came to say hi to us we didn't even know who he was - it's been THAT long since we've seen him that we didn't even recognize him!
Question of the day: What's one thing you would love to have in your own house one day (or if you have a house of your own already, what's one thing that you want to change/get)?
Annette and I went to Gagan's "new" house for the first time. Some best friends we are - she's had the house for awhile now! Anyways, we were quite surprised by how.. well lovely it looked - we certainly didn't expect to see so much so soon. I'm happy for her that everything is slowly turning out okay. She's the one I blogged about before, the one whose family didn't accept her boyfriend because of his religion and so she left home.
Well the house they bought is pretty nice. Actually it looks a lot like my grandparent's new home. They've even finished the basement already.
Here's a picture of part of her kitchen. I love how they put mirrors instead of tiles on the walls above the counters. It makes everything look so much bigger (and you can see my huge camera flash).

After visiting her, I couldn't help wishing I was in her place. Well not the whole family situation thing, but the having my own house part. Sometimes I like to imagine how I'd want my own house to look like. Okay, not sometimes, a lot of the time. I love flipping through the New in Homes section of the Toronto Star every Saturday and I really like visiting model homes to see different ways of decorating. I already have so many ideas in my head - actually okay I admit it, I have a written list of everything I want. The list is pretty long and I don't know how I'd ever be able to afford half the things I want. I think I should probably scratch the idea of having fishtanks built as a border around a room (built into the wall so that you can see through the fishtanks into other rooms) - I saw this in a magazine before and it looked so beautiful. At least I'm not like my weirdo sister who wants to live in a Hobbit hole.
Anyways, we had a great time and promised to spend more time together now that I'm sorta more free. When Gagan's boyfriend came to say hi to us we didn't even know who he was - it's been THAT long since we've seen him that we didn't even recognize him!
Question of the day: What's one thing you would love to have in your own house one day (or if you have a house of your own already, what's one thing that you want to change/get)?
14 Comments:
At 2:29 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
HAHAHA!
I'm first!
*dances*
YOU are JUST LIKE ME.
Do you know how many magazines I have at home about designs for houses!
I'm nuts!
It's a hobby that my siblings and I share.
But we don't have much capital for it! Haha!
I like that fish tank idea, but I'd want it between my TV room and dining room - sort of like a divider.
I HAVE to have granite tops in my kitchen. And only stainless steel.
I like what your friend did with the mirrors. I must write that idea down :)
I want a fire place in my bedroom with a huge cushy couch in front of it to relax in so I can read.
Oh, and a walk-in closet including dressing and make up area.
(and a special "husband and wife area" *cough
cough* :P)
I would love to have roofing where I can see the stars at night as I go to sleep. That would be cool. What would not be cool is if I have a nosey neighbour trying to see what's going on in my room through the roof!
There's something about "tab top" curtains that I just love. I really don't know what it is. Maybe it's the simplicity of the design? I don't know.
At 6:40 p.m.,
'liya said…
Belladonna, stainless steel is a big MUST for me too! Especially for the fridge :)
As for the fireplace in the bedroom, I was in a model home a few weeks ago and saw a fireplace that connects to the living room from the master bedroom (one floor house). So if you bend down and look at the fireplace you could see through into the living room behind the two walls of glass. I like that because you end up getting two fireplaces (I like fireplaces too!) but there was also some kind of closing wall thing so that you could close it away. I don't know if I'm describing it right but it was really pretty.
I want to be able to see the sky too but knowing me I'd probably be too scared to have that in my own bedroom so I'm thinking a nice skylight in the living room to bring in lots of light.
Good ideas!
At 1:01 a.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
You're not alone, one of my real close friends moved into a new house and i have YET to visit :S she rubs that in quite a bit.
You sound like my mom haha she also likes to look at the houses that are in the market, I think she really wants to move!
And I don't have too many ideas for my future home ... all I want is a balcony and a swing-seat in the backyard *sigh* (sat in one in wal-mart today hehe)
At 2:53 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Liya, that's a "lekker" (nice) idea "skattebol" (my dear)!
I saw that fireplace idea on Extreme Makeover Home Edition (love that show) - but they had it between the bathroom and bedroom. So if you're having a shower, someone can see all your bits! Yikes!
But I still liked it.
Oh, thanks for your comment on my site about PostSecret. Postsecret gets updated every Sunday, so it's nice to go and check it out every week. I have so much of fun! I really want to get the book, but it's on back order at my local online bookstore :( And since it's from US, who knows how long it's going to take to come! But I'm going to try going to a different store to buy it next week - this time an actual bookstore.
At 4:23 a.m.,
sara said…
Where was this Liya at the One of a Kind Show last year when i wanted to look at house stuff and you just wanted to look at clothes!!! Maybe when I come back, we can go to Ikea instead of Holts? Hehe. I'm kinda going through the whole viewing houses/thinking up decor ideas now, cause I'm trying to find a home her in CT.
At 1:38 p.m.,
'liya said…
Squeeky, I want a balcony too! Nobody in my family has a house with a balcony. I'd like one to hang lots of plants around and a chair to sit and watch the sunset :)
Belladonna, can you teach me more SA words? - then I'll know how to talk to Sara when she comes back :D I used to watch Trading Spaces and While You Were Out a lot but then got tired of it. I still like Debbie Travis, she always has beautiful ideas.
Sara, why must you find a house in Ct? Why can't you be like a normal girl and find a house in Mississauga! Well, when you do find something, make sure you paint one room Tiramisu brown - we got our living room painted that colour recently and it looks so yummy. I'm tempted to lick the wall. Hmm maybe I shouldn't say stuff like that on here lol. Anyways I chose the colour so everytime I walk by the room I feel good.
At 1:48 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
of course liya :)
e-mail me and the lessons shall begin!! :)
At 6:57 a.m.,
sara said…
Um, I can still speak normal english, but I talked to my brother on the phone the other day after so long and he said my accent changed :S! Liya, Rabs got proposed so now you HAVE to come. Like for the engagement. And then once you're here i'll consider coming back. :D
At 4:37 p.m.,
'liya said…
Belladonna, yay! okay I shall soon :D
Sara, when is the engagement? Please, some details! This is sad, you know more about my cousins than I do!
At 4:43 p.m.,
nat said…
Hey 'liya! Yah I never knew it was GAGAN! *SHOCKED* I never EVER EVER thought in a MILLION years it would be her! She's just so conservative! Boy was I wrong.. Im still Shocked, thus all the exclamation marks!
Okay now I'm calm, but yes I know how you feel, I can't WAIT till I'm in that position with Rob, living together in a nice place. It sucks though for Gagan how she left home, I really hope that doesn't happen to me or you.. or anyone for that matter, because its sooooooo hard to give up your family!
At 2:28 p.m.,
'liya said…
Nuffy, hehe I know.. doesn't seem like Gagan!!! I didn't think she'd go through with it but she did!
I told my mom about it and she just said she hopes Gagan's happy and that everything works out.. I thought she would go nuts and not allow me to talk to Gagan anymore or something. Sometimes parents can be surprising too.
At 11:09 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
You know some of the guys at my workplace made the bule prints and built there dream home. It took them a while but they made it exactly how they wanted it. I think that would be a good idea to keep these friends for future reference! Hmmmmmmmmmm I was just wondering about the mirros, won't they fog up when they cook food? I don't know if I want to deal with cleaning the mirrors every second. Just something to ponder...
At 11:35 p.m.,
'liya said…
Agent, please keep them for future reference :)
At 8:09 p.m.,
'liya said…
Gaurav Mishra, thank you :) I shall have a look at yours soon. Dream houses are always fun to think about.. and hopefully one day those dreams become real!
Post a Comment
<< Home