To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The York Series (7)

Part 7: A reflection on the Concurrent Education Program at York University.

Lesson plans saved to disk.. unit plans tucked away.. interview portfolio put in safe place.. references updated.. 1 WEEK TILL CONVOCATION!!

Okay, it can finally be said that I'm DONE. I officially ended my final teaching placement yesterday. And that concludes this year's courses. FINALLY. I've never been so happy to be finished a placement. This year's was definitely not the most pleasant. I've mostly blogged about my English and Visual Arts courses at York but I haven't said much about my education courses. So here it is, the past three years of my practicum placements (teaching practise), in reflection:

Year 1 - My second year of university and I was accepted into the program - a big achievement because not many people get in on their first try and I was happy that I had. I didn't know what to expect really.. on the first day of classes I walked into the wrong class (and from then on I made sure my watch always had the right time). In the program I was in, regardless of your path of study (I/S -- intermediate/senior - grades 7-12, J/I -- junior/intermediate - grades 4-10, and P/J -- primary/junior - JK -6 ), you were given an elementary school placement for the year. The elementary school I was placed at in Mississauga was like a carbon copy of Cherrytree. The staff were the friendliest people I've ever met and the students in my grade two class were amazing (mostly because they thought I was the coolest thing alive hehe). I looked forward to Fridays (my teaching day), and could never stop talking about how wonderful my students were to my family and friends. Anyways, I had a fantastic time there and afterwards I seriously considered changing my program from I/S to P/J. But I decided against that and to see what the next year had in store for me...before making any decisions..

..Year 2 - Good choice. I instantly liked teaching at a high school just as much. I was a little unsure in the beginning because it was a Catholic high school, but I ended up liking it for that fact even more. Although, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the teacher I was assigned to for the first semester, my friend who was placed at the same school, agreed with me that we would switch teachers for the second semester -- best agreement I ever made. Great teacher second semester, and great classes, it was a wonderful learning experience. Unlike last year where I taught subjects such as math and science (yuck), this year was the real thing - I was teaching English - my main teachable - and it went really well. I began looking forward to my placement for my final year for Visual Arts (my second teachable and the one I'm leaning more towards with hopes for teaching).. little did I know that not all teachers are friendly, caring and warm people who welcome student teachers with great happiness into their arms and school (that's being sarcastic).

Year 3 - So obviously I wasn't happy with the person I was assigned to. You can tell when someone doesn't like you or respect you for what you are. The school however, was a great school and I really liked the students. A nice big school, clean, not too old, a somewhat diverse student body.. this began my dream for the type of school that I wanted to teach at. Even though I wasn't happy at this Missauaga highschool as much as I was at the elementary school or the Brampton Catholic one, my year ended with somewhat of a bang (and I don't mean a party like what the students gave me at the previous two schools). The bang was this which I'm sure everyone is quite familiar with now. Apparently some of the accused had attended this school and now it's become a centre of crazy media attention. The first day the school was mentioned in the Toronto Star (on the front page, line 5!) we had an emergency staff meeting in the morning and after school where we were told not to discuss anything with anyone. So I'm not going to discuss anything with anyone. But I had a second bang to end with too... the fact that on my last teaching day... I had an interview! - not at that school, but at a different high school school in Brampton! ... like yippee and oh no!

Yippee = finally someone wants me!
Oh no = I have 1 day to prepare .. and I'm not prepared! I find out the day before that they're interviewing the next day and I can either take this chance or leave it. So I rushed home, created a portfolio from scratch, tested my self on possible questions, and couldn't sleep all night.

What can I say, my first interview went by really quickly, the questions were really easy but I was incredibly nervous going in.. (It's quite nerve-wracking to have the principal and vice principal interview you at the same time). I first has to fill out a form that the secretary gave me, and that I'm certain I filled out wrong.. I then had an essay question to answer which wasn't too hard, and then came the questions. I'm quite positive I won't get the job because it seems like a million other people who are much more qualified than me are applying for it. Either way, I'm trying to look at my first real serious interview as a learning experience now, so that when I go to more interviews in the future I know what it'll be like.

These are the schools in Peel that have had openings for my teaching subjects. I've applied to all of them. I won't say which my interview was for!

1-Turner Fenton
2-Bramalea
3-T. L. Kennedy
4-Port Credit
5-Chinguacousy
6-West Credit

Schools do current teacher re-hiring first, which means they hire teachers who already teachers before looking at new graduates. I haven't heard from the 5 other schools yet..

I look forward to teaching with others who were in my program. And I can only smile when I think back to some of my education professors who read us children's storybooks that were so emotional that they began crying. Teachers can be very emotional. After my first placement I cried because I knew I was going to miss those kids like anything. I guess they'll be going to grade 5 this September (already!?). But then, after this year's placement I smiled when I left the building - and I guess that happens sometimes - you're happy it's over, and that you can (hopefully) start fresh the next year.

Overall I'd have to say that the Concurrent Program has been good to me although I'd recommend others to apply to the Consecutive Program, which means to do the B.Ed after their B.A or whatever they're doing. It's less work and that makes it much easier and less stressful. I think I did take too many things upon myself in university, but now I'm done... and today I have absolutely nothing to do. The feeling is a little unsettling.

CURRENT MOOD: Free to sleep in once again. Though out of habit from the past month I woke up at 6:30 a.m...

15 Comments:

  • At 11:22 p.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    Congratulations for finishing your program. You've worked hard these last four years and I'm sure you'll get an interview and a great job. Any school will be lucky to hire you considering how dedicated you are to your job.

    That being said, it seems that a LOT of people are applying for teaching jobs this year and there aren't enough jobs to go around.

     
  • At 9:39 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nauman, thanks :)

    I know, there's a lot of competition.. I'll just have to try to be better than everyone!

     
  • At 12:52 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey do u know any of the 17 accused who got arrested from Brampton and Mississauga?

     
  • At 1:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats on finally finishin!!....isnt it great to b able to sleep in??!..lol..well i kno we havent talked in awhile...tha day aftah i came back i had my first day at work...which is actually goin pretty well..im workin at a library branch which is soo small...like smaller than tha size of ur downstairs of ur house...but its cool....tha only thing is...its in tha ghetto...spanish ghetto...so tha first day i locked my doors while drivin...lol..but its cool...tha kids are really cute and its fun helpin them wit their homework and talkin to them....and i only work 10 hours a week which is perfect cuz im lazy..lol...but yeah..so i jus been doin that and some studyin...i wish we got to hang out more while i was there...but i guess next time right?!....iite well i hope all is well wit u..and ill talk to yah latah..oh im sure ull get a wonderful placement since who wouldnt want a teacher like u?.....=)

     
  • At 3:00 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Anonymous, no I don't know any of them... although like I said, some went to the school I was teaching at - awhile ago - yet they made such a big deal out of the whole school connection thing. If I did know any of them, I certainly wouldn't say that on my blog because who knows what spies would read it and then arrest me and deport me back to um Brampton :S

    Samia, thanks! It's wonderful to sleep in again - my body is still adjusting to the times. And I told you that you'd get the job at the library! Working with little kids can be fun.. watch, I bet at least one will ask to marry you, if one hasn't already :) Do you read them stories? That would be fun - I'd love that as a summer job! (Now I have to go look for one..)

     
  • At 9:51 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum! :D

    Awww ... Congratulations!!!
    It must feel AMAZING!

    And goodness, you went through a lot in your Uni days, I remember those long hours :S haha Insha'Allah though all of it was worth it and now you can relax and give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done ;)

    It's my last week of school, I'm kinda nervous eeeh

     
  • At 1:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats, Liya!!! Your really deserve a break!

     
  • At 4:22 p.m., Blogger nosthegametoo said…

    Congratulations. Sounds like you have earned some well-deserved rest.

    Good luck with your teaching career.

     
  • At 10:29 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Squeeky, Unshrinked, and Nosthegametoo, thanks :D though I'm finding it a little hard to relax now after these 4 years.. what do people at home do ?!! hehe I'm bored!

     
  • At 11:38 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey when r u going to post?

     
  • At 2:56 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Anonymous, aww, someone actually cares about reading my blog :)

    I'll post tonight! I have to go to work now - being at home sucks, especially if your parents think you're free to help them out at the family business at a moment's notice :S

     
  • At 10:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thankfully it's over, now I don't have to hear your complaining any more!

     
  • At 12:02 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Agent (in disguise), I like you :D

     
  • At 7:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Aaliya!
    Wow- Love your blog. I am at work till 10 tonite- thank you for giving me something interesting to read!
    I especially liked the comment about year 2 :)
    Good Luck with your job search!
    From:
    Your fellow graduate:)

     
  • At 9:21 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Yay Alicia! Stop by to read whenever :D

    And good luck to you too !!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home