To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The York Series (8)

Part 8: Convocation

On June 13th, 2006, 'liya (that's Ah-leeeee-ya, Mr. Chancellor - geez say it right!), graduated from York University - the third largest university in Canada, you know, the one that advertises in movie theatres :D She walked across the stage in her Harry Potter robe to shake the hands of people she didn't really care much to shake, and looked out into the vast sea of people wondering where the hell her loved ones were seated. At 22 years old, 5 feet 2 inches , and ______ pounds, she's just a little girl in a huge class of graduates all competiting for similar teaching jobs. And she hasn't found one yet. And neither have most of them. But, 'liya has much to be thankful for, such as the fact that she managed to finish two degrees in 4 years - her Honours BA in English and Visual Arts, and a Bachelor of Education. So, armed with her intense knowledge of the Group of Seven, and other useful and not so useful things, she is ready to conquer the world -- well not really, but at least she's ready to take a small step outside.


'liya and her Mom:



'liya and her Dad:



'liya and the .. yup, GO Bus :D



'liya and V:



'liya's two bouquets of flowers lumped together in one vase - yes! she feels so happy to have gotten two! - one from her family and one from the guy in the photo above!



And so, 'liya reflects on the day: The long boring ceremonious occasion. Her tummy was grumbling through the whole thing. The names seemed to go on forever. And now she sits looking at the two pieces of paper in her hands. You know, the important papers! She needs to get them framed. It'll probably take a couple of months for her to get around to doing that. Maybe a year or two even. Oh well.

She smiles as she looks at her diplomas.. member of the Dean's Honour Roll, and Cum Laude (whatever that means, it sounds important!), - humph to the stupid program booklet that didn't list her academic achievements - she should burn that - or sue York! But no, 'liya is mature and graduated and won't think of such silly and vengeful thoughts! At least her diplomas mention the above! She needs that reassurance. Those four years of hard work weren't for nothing. And so, 'liya kicks back in her chair wondering what to do with herself now that her university years are officially over ..

P.S 'liya looks like a loser in all her pictures thanks to the silly black hat thing, so the pictures have been artistically altered - just in case you're wondering..

CURRENT MOOD: Bored! -- really, what do people do with themselves at home??

15 Comments:

  • At 12:10 a.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    Congratulations. You look good in your pictures and I don't think the effects/alterations were necessary. Keep up the good work.

     
  • At 12:41 a.m., Blogger FU said…

    Mubarak!!!!

    at u of t u have the option to (pay for) frame your degree right after the ceremony.

    it's a pretty useless piece of paper. enjoy it!!! coz it's one damn expensive piece of paper.

    and cum laude sounds dirty.. not important

    HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

    ok bye!

     
  • At 1:48 a.m., Blogger Umar said…

    congrats :)

    and yeah, like fu said, that degree you hold is the most expensive piece of paper you'll possess.

     
  • At 10:20 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    congrats!!!!
    i'm so happy for you!
    TWO degrees! wow! i'm not even done with one :(
    inshAllah i'll get there...some day!
    btw, you actually look cool in that hat thing.
    i'll look like an idiot the day i decide to graduate.
    ugh.

     
  • At 10:59 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Thanks everyone!!

    :D

    Nauman, I think the effects/alterations were necessary - trust me I looked weird. But I like the first picture I put where you can see some colour in the roses and in my mom's shirt. I like how that shows through :)

    Fu, we had the option to pay for framing right after the ceremony too but by after that long boring thing my family just wanted to get outta there! And you're dirty!!! :D

    Umar, yes it is.. and now that two people have mentioned its worth I guess I should pick it up of my floor and put it somewhere safe for now. Actually maybe I should just go to the mall and by a frame today .. hmm.. that would give me something to do ..

    Belladonna, inshAllah soon you'll be there too! But not to worry, you'll probably look really nice in the cap thing, it actually looked quite nice on most people. I must just have an odd shaped head :S

     
  • At 2:07 p.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 2:08 p.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    Congratulations :)

    Hopefully you will get a job soon. You could always work at an Islamic School...dun dun dunnn.

    Ahem, anyways. Aaliya should stop referring to herself in third person. It freaks Asmaa out ;)

     
  • At 2:53 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :D

    (I always refer myself in the third person too hehe)

    Congratulations! I'm so proud of you, must have been such a wonderful day. You should have told me, I could have swung by and given you my congrats hug :)

    It's been so depressing this whole week at York because everyone's going through their June convocations *sigh*

    Don't you worry about finding work, make du'a and insha'Allah that perfect job opportunity will be waiting just for YOU!

    PS - love the pics!

     
  • At 7:33 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Asmaa, I actually did think about Islamic school once since my brother's school is looking for an English teacher .. I told my mom if I can't find anything else that'll be my last resort :D hehe

    Squeeky, I thought using third person was fun .. and now that I know it scares Asmaa I might use it more lol. I didn't know you were at York that day, if I did of course I would have wanted you to come by! Actually, maybe I wouldn't have.. because then it would mean you'd see me in the funny hat :S Enjoy your last few days of school though.. I miss it already!

     
  • At 1:16 a.m., Blogger nat said…

    Hey 'liya! Congrats! I was just on the U of T website too and I have to request to graduate in October, so I'm really looking forward to finsihing school. To tell you the truth im really tired of essaying and long assignments that take long hard hours to complete. Once again my dear congratulations and I hope the best in all your endevours.

     
  • At 8:46 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats!

    I know how much hard work and how many hours you put into getting your degree! I remember all the time you spent staying up late and all the times you made me stay up so late! I think that the degree papers are a little oversized. I dont know if you will be able to find a frame so easily. If you were like your friend you would have got a gift anddd free framing!!

     
  • At 12:16 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Samira, I hope I love it as much as you do.. and inshAllah I'll find something soon.. "sigh" I'm checking everyday for jobs! .. and please tell your parents to call mine and suggest that they send me - I want to be there with you and Sara :D

    Nuffy, Thanks! I almost had to graduate in October because they had a problem getting some of my marks in, but I'm so happy everything is done now. Tell me when you're applying for Consec, and I'll give you a list of possible questions they might ask you during the interview - and any other help I can be :)

    Agent, my friend was lucky, he knew people - important people - I just shook their hands, humph! Anyways, every night you stayed up late for me, I stayed up late for you - so it equals out.. plus, I knew you didn't mind .. I know you LOVED reading my essays .. especially the long ones :D

     
  • At 1:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MUBARAK! ok so this is a bit late, but i have been busy at work and hence, blog-free =Þ

    Now you can become a productive member of society and work the steady 9-5, day in and day out, week after week, month after month, surrounded by mind-numbing mindless watercooler banter and noisy obnoxious coworkers! enjoy!

    hehe.. acha mazaak.. insha'Allah may Allah(SWA) bless you with an amazing future. I'm sure your parents are so proud of you, and you should be proud also.

    wasalam
    me

     
  • At 8:57 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sooooo prpud of youuuuuuuuuuuuu...........and now u don't have to make phone time cuz u'll have lots any wayz until u find a job i guess....but congratulations and good luck :)

     
  • At 8:12 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Amer, thank you hehe.. not to worry though, it's only month after month for 10 months. We teachers get the summers off :D

    Once I find a real job that is :)


    Aman, thanks, now that you called me and told me who you are :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home