To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Meanwhile...

Student: Ms. C?
Me: Yes?
Student: I just want to thank you for yesterday..
Me: How come?
Student: I heard you say that I was cute.
Me: Oh--
Student: Thank you for calling me cute.
Me: Oh.. you're welcome!

Apparently the student had heard me and another teacher discussing how cute he was :S

The students don't call me Ms. C, they call me by my full last name, but I'm going to try to make this blog more anonymous now. Not sure how to really do that, but I'm going to need to if I get a real teaching job for September... I don't want to have any high school students reading up about their teacher :S Plus, we're not supposed to discuss our personal lives online. And so, I ask all of you, my dear darling and incredibly intelligent readers, to please not refer to me by my real name in your comments (as much as I love my name!) please just call me liya. That's 'liya minus the memorable two first two letters! Or call me something else if you don't like 'liya. Feel free to call me Your Majesty or anything lovely like that :D

Speaking about jobs for September, I had an interview today which went really well. It's for a Visual Arts position, which would be perfect. I really like the school and both vice principals who were interviewing me, were really really nice. About the interview that I had previously, I didn't get that job obviously. That one was for a Visual Arts and English position. It also required teaching a class of Media Arts - which I don't have much background in so I can understand why I wasn't selected. However, the principal at that school did recommend me for the Occasional Teachers List - which means I can supply teach. So for now, I'm basically a supply teacher (the paperwork is still being sorted out). Everyone keeps saying that this is a good foot in the door for me, and I do feel lucky to have made it this far, especially when things like this are happening. So, to date, I've had two interviews for serious September jobs. I'm still on the hunt though. I don't want to supply teach - who likes supply teachers?! I should hear from the school sometime next week...

Meanwhile, as you can tell from my last post, I'm really enjoying myself with my grade 2's. Casa Loma was an adventure .. our school bus driver got a little lost and we ended up spending more time on the bus than in the castle, but it was still nice. Well I thought so-some of the other teachers didn't. I like that kind of stuff. Anyways, I want to go back and see everything properly instead of rushing children from room to room and trying to interest them in the fireplaces, chandeliers, ancient looking bookcases etc. For them the best part of the trip was this dark creepy (and stinky) underground tunnel that never seemed to end. That's kids for you. Today they had a full day trip to Marineland which I couldn't attend because of my interview. I basically spent the rest of the day after the interview wondering how their trip went .. I feel so attached to them already .. they better have been on their best behaviour!

CURRENT MOOD: Hopeful

8 Comments:

  • At 12:40 a.m., Blogger FU said…

    um... ur pic is on the blog.. i think ur kids are gonna recognize u.. oh and u have previous posts where u said ur reaaaaaaal name...

    :P

    u got some editing to dooo!

     
  • At 3:08 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Major editing sweety pie!
    I don't envy you one bit!
    I once had a blog where I had too many references to my true identity on it and I eventually scrapped the whole thing because I was fed up of editing.
    That was like 4 years ago :P
    If you still want a bit of your face to show, you could take a picture like me...I only show my 1 eye LOL!
    :P

    I am looking to get an actual diary and not just my rants and ravings blog. I'm looking at wordpress as I've heard that they have password protected entries. :)

     
  • At 9:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yup.............got to do some editing :)

    but...do students really know their teachers names, i dont ever remember knowing a high school teachers name whereas i would recognize them if i were to see a full face pic...good luck

     
  • At 9:36 a.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :)

    I'm gonna need to come up with a new name for you now :S

    Things are sounding great with you, masha'Allah. You seem to have many doors of opportunities opening for you ... insha'Allah what you really want will come to you soon enough.

    And I've never been to Marineland.

     
  • At 12:24 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:25 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Fu, I didn't even think about my picture! Thanks for pointing that out, although, does it really look like me? I don't think it does. But ohhhhhhhh now I just realized I have other pictures of me on the blog!! I'm going to have to go back and edit all those too :S

    Fatima, password protected entries? That sounds good. If I could get that for my previous entires.. then I wouldn't have to do any editing! I wonder if blogger has it? I'm going to do some research on that now.

    Aman, I apologize for not knowing who you were before, I know you forgive me - I'm happy you're FINALLY reading my blog now (and can you lend me some more books, I'm done all of them!)

    Students might not know their teachers first names, but you never know what could happen and I wouldn't want to get in trouble for saying something about my job that I shouldn't (like when I'm hired). I attended a workshop during the year about how teacher's need to be careful about everything they do online and they really discouraged us from having any sort of personal website. But I don't want to end my blog!

    Squeeky, I hope so inshAllah! I feel discouraged everytime I check the Peel website for job openings - right now there are 5 jobs available from ALL the schools in Peel (elementary, middle and secondary!) .. and all of those positions are for FRENCH!!

    About Marineland, not to worry, it's just OKAY so you aren't missing anything (the commercials on TV make it look better than it is!) But today is muslim day at Wonderland.. I've been to Wonderland so many times but never on that day and it looks like a lot of fun.

     
  • At 7:35 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i really want to comment!

     
  • At 8:51 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Oh agent, I wish you'd come out of your disguise!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home