To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Sara :)

Sara's cousin is marrying my cousin. Does that make us cousins?

Last weekend we went to harbourfront. I saw this big world map that said to place a sticker on the country you're from. Europe was the most dot-covered, but South Africa only had three stickers. I placed one on SA and said hi to Sara and I also placed one in Ontario because Canada is my home and native land. I also stuck a sticker on SA for V but didn't tell him. I know he secretly wants to be South African too :D



Student: "Ms. C, did you feel at home at African Lion Safari?"
Me: "What?"
Student: "Well you said you're from there.."

My students love asking me personal questions. They practically know my whole life story. Today we had a half day trip to see the movie Ant Bully. The school bus drove right past Turner Fenton and I pointed out to my students that that's where their teacher had attended high school. They were truly fascinated :D

Ant Bully, I must say, was one of our better trips. I was so proud of my kids. None of them had to go to the bathroom once during the movie so we all got to sit and watch in peace. I watched other teachers struggle with students who were acting up and felt so happy that mine knew our field trip rules so well. They should, we go over them every morning! One whole playing was reserved just for our grades 1-4. The higher grades got to see Monster House last week (I had been hoping to see that instead but then found out that it had scared even some of the grade 5's). Today was the first trip I've been on without an assistant or volunteer to help and since I was so proud of my well behaved students, when we got back to school I gave them a Chalk Party (a game I made up). But more on that later.

Here's my favourite picture from African Lion Safari last week:



This ostrich got right up to the bus window of one of my students who I had jokingly told a few minutes earlier that an animal was going to eat him. From then on, I had his total respect.

P.S When I was telling my students about Sara one of them mentioned that they had been close to SA when they had visited Chicago last month :D

P.P.S Sara I miss you! I need someone to talk to. I just had my night ruined by someone totally icky...

CURRENT MOOD: I know it's only 9:30 but let's just call it a night.

16 Comments:

  • At 4:15 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    south africa has been recreated in canada!!!!!!!!!!!! what next??????

    fida . . .

     
  • At 12:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you should post more often not just once a week! ur stories are so interesting...I bet others agree with me ;)

     
  • At 3:13 p.m., Blogger -saf- said…

    i myself aint from SA but its a wonderful country...when i tell my mates about sa they ask me if africans play soccer with coconuts-freaks!!
    By the way keep up the pen flowin....

     
  • At 4:07 p.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    That picture from African Lion Safari is funny. Reminds me of when we first went as kids and all the random pictures we have of monkeys and lions and ostriches. (By the number of pictures we have of random animals, you'd think we were putting together some kind of mass research project on the treatment of animals in that place or something. What freaks.)

     
  • At 5:37 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Fida, next thing you know it'll be recreated in Chicago!

    Anonymous, awww thanks! Your comment made me feel good :) I do want to post things more often and I always mean to but then.. I don't know :S I think I know who you are.. how come you want to be anonymous now? Can you email me to tell me? :)

    -Saf-: Thanks! I agree, it's wonderful.. now I should just go there a bit more often lol. It's funny the way people think about far away places based on I suppose what they see on TV .. I always get so many comments about the "living with animals" :D

    Asmaa, I really liked that picture because it scared the kid AND shut himn up! The air conditioned safari bus is best :D

     
  • At 12:20 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i agree you should put more postings. your life is interesting and some people want to live vicariously through your life.

     
  • At 2:54 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    how do I e-mail u? :)

     
  • At 11:26 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Anonymous (#1), I don't think my life is THAT interesting that people would want to live vicariously through it lol!

    Anonymous (#2), If you know my first name and last name, it's firstname_lastname@hotmail.com. If not, then email me at anvbooks@hotmail.com. That's the email I made up to sell all my York books :D

     
  • At 4:11 a.m., Blogger Saaleha Idrees Bamjee said…

    south africans rock :)

     
  • At 6:40 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    Liya I miss you too :( Moe B already started calling me "cuz" (like seriously, he won't use my name anymore), so you might as well consider me family too! When you go drop the jacket off at my house, ask my mom for a phone card and call me! Email me about the icky night! WHEN ARE U COMING?! If you come in August, you'll have your own room, cause my new flat has an extra bedroom and my roomate's not moving in till September!

     
  • At 2:40 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    whats the icky nite.details....

     
  • At 5:53 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Saaleha, yes they do :D

    Sara, I never said I'd give you my jacket! I especially can't part with it now that I just got permanent marker on my favourite capris - I know you'll understand - now that you're family Sara you surely must know that I need that jacket to get me through the permanently stained times :D Anyways, I can't remember if I emailed you or not. Give me more details on your place! I wish I could come :(

    Anonymous: Huh? My evening was ruined by an icky person but that person is all forgiven now :) I thought you were going to email me your identity!

     
  • At 11:22 a.m., Blogger nosthegametoo said…

    Lovely picture from Africa.

    I love working with young people, they mostly have sincere questions, and a sincere desire to learn.

     
  • At 12:44 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    liya
    i dont know who this other anonymous is...using my identity...lol...but I havent e-mailed u because if I e-mail u, u will know who I am from my e-mail name. Who do u think I am?

     
  • At 2:25 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i have linked your blog to mines....you can link mines to yours if you wish . . .

    fida. . .

     
  • At 11:08 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nosthegametoo, thanks, but the picture isn't from Africa! It's from African Lion Safari right here in Ontario, Canada! lol. Anyways, yes, young people mostly have a sincere desire to learn. Some of them actually prefer working on their language arts rather than playing Spongebob games on the computer :D

    Anonymous, I think you're someone who used to comment on my blog a lot before but then suddenly became anonymous for reasons I don't know why. Am I right? Please email me and tell me who you are, I really want to know -- and I won't tell anyone if you don't want me too! P.S I don't know who the other anonymous person is either, probably because they're ANONYMOUS too :D

    Fida, thanks! I love your blog! I haven't linked to anyone's yet, but when I do fix this thing up I'll have yours on for sure :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home