To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

another wedding.. & another.. & more..

Yesterday I went to my first church wedding service. I've been in churches a couple of times, but never for prayer related activities where the Roman Catholic priest reads aloud from the Bible and waves his arms towards the heavens. We thought it was strange that we were invited to the church ceremony and not the nikkah, since the mixed couple did incorporate both into their day. By mixed, I do mean mixed.. my family is related to the groom, who is Muslim, half South African and half Guyanese black and white. The bride, who he met while studying in Ireland, is Catholic and Irish. Both sides had interesting accents that I found myself practising in my head.

They made a very sweet couple:



I thought the bride was quite stunning and I loved her lacy white veil. Remind me to have the same thing when I get married .. some twenty years down the road..

The reception was a little disturbing though because there was so much alcohol floating about. We found it funny how the waitress kept coming up to my hijab-wearing aunt from Pakistan and asking whether she wanted red or white wine. Since nobody at our table was drinking they must have found it extremely weird. It certainly was an interesting experience..

My extended family seems to be expanding to include everyone and everyone. And now that half my cousins in SA are getting engaged/married, it's all my parents talk about. The presssure is on..

I want to get married on an island far away - I don't want anyone to attend, just to send the presents -- so selfish, I know!

Well, I enjoyed the ice cream desert :D

CURRENT MOOD: Happy with who I am :)

9 Comments:

  • At 8:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nice pic:)

    unfortunately..in my opinion..mixed marriages are great...but....in the end....the children suffer...neither here nor there...with regards to culture.....religion...ect...

    anyways...wish them a happily married life...forever and forever....and ever!

    fida . . .

     
  • At 9:37 a.m., Blogger Regine said…

    hi, i was in a wedding yesterday as well.. (: just popped by - i love ur blogtitle.i feel the same way.

     
  • At 1:48 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Fida, you're right, but also the children suffer if the parents aren't strong in their beliefs in any kind of marriage. In this case, I'd say, the mother would be stronger in her beliefs than the father in his. Sad, but most likely true. We'll see what happens..

    Regine, thanks, I like it too :D Hope you had fun at yours!

     
  • At 4:05 p.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    from what i can see in the pict, i agree that the veil is really pretty. its different than what i had, and i think i kinda like her's better!

     
  • At 6:31 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Becky, it was totally gorgeous. She said it was her grandmother's and was passed down to her. The way she wore it was really unique too. Apparently that's the Irish tradition to wear it in that style.

     
  • At 8:01 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks gorgous!

     
  • At 10:27 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Anonymous, yup! :)

     
  • At 12:14 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Insha-Allah, you will get married much before twenty years. You are an intelligent successful, attractive, and God-fearing individual; you will insha-Allah be blessed with someone who shares those qualities, and who will always love you as he grows old with you.

    May Allah bless the marriages of those already married, and bless the unmarried with loving spouses to be their companions in dunya and akhirah.

     
  • At 10:07 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Anonymous, awww InshAllah... otherwise I'll be 40! What a sweet comment, thank you :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home