A Teacher's Observations (2)
I can't believe the food some parents give their children to bring for snack/lunch. While I munch away on my apple, I feel horrified to watch little hands dipping into frosting and to see chocolate covered mouths - at 10:00 a.m. in the morning. At lunch, most kids throw away their sandwiches (which by the way are always made with white bread). Then they end up eating candy. During our afternoon snacktime, they all finish off their remaining sugary treats/drinks with sticky fingers and huge grins.
I don't think I ever threw away my lunch when I was a kid. I knew enough about starving children in Africa to know that I better clean my plate, lest I become one. I knew that I better eat my bread crusts if I ever wanted curly hair. I knew that if I didn't drink enough water, I might dry up. Or so, my mom told me. Even though I pretty much ate the same thing day after day after day in elementary school, I was always happy with what I had. True, I sometimes looked at friends lunches and wished I could enjoy the same happiness they were enjoying... but, wasn't mine better because my mom actually cared about what would be going into my body? Having a super health conscious mom helped instill a lot of good healthy eating habits in me, and for that, I feel quite grateful.
I wonder what goes through most mothers' heads when they pack their son or daughter's snack/lunch. Do they ever think that 5 chocolate chip cookies a day is too much? That coke will rot their teeth? That a bag of chips does not equal a proper balanced meal? And to think that when I was that age, I maybe ate a cookie like once a month. That coke was reserved for birthday parties and special occasions, and that chips were only for school trips.
I feel as though I'm witnessing the beginning steps towards diabetes and childhood obesity.
Meanwhile, my apple is looking quite boring.
I don't think I ever threw away my lunch when I was a kid. I knew enough about starving children in Africa to know that I better clean my plate, lest I become one. I knew that I better eat my bread crusts if I ever wanted curly hair. I knew that if I didn't drink enough water, I might dry up. Or so, my mom told me. Even though I pretty much ate the same thing day after day after day in elementary school, I was always happy with what I had. True, I sometimes looked at friends lunches and wished I could enjoy the same happiness they were enjoying... but, wasn't mine better because my mom actually cared about what would be going into my body? Having a super health conscious mom helped instill a lot of good healthy eating habits in me, and for that, I feel quite grateful.
I wonder what goes through most mothers' heads when they pack their son or daughter's snack/lunch. Do they ever think that 5 chocolate chip cookies a day is too much? That coke will rot their teeth? That a bag of chips does not equal a proper balanced meal? And to think that when I was that age, I maybe ate a cookie like once a month. That coke was reserved for birthday parties and special occasions, and that chips were only for school trips.
I feel as though I'm witnessing the beginning steps towards diabetes and childhood obesity.
Meanwhile, my apple is looking quite boring.
9 Comments:
At 5:19 a.m.,
sara said…
so true. i was actually scared of coke when i was little, but i do recall trading my apples for chips at lunch time.
At 8:59 a.m.,
mezba said…
I think nowadays too many parents work and don't have time to prepare the food - so they grab ready made snacks that are high in sucre and fat.
Don''t remember how I ended up here but nice blog btw.
At 10:56 a.m.,
Umar said…
This the problem that plagues North American society.
And you officially sound like a typical teacher :P
At 1:44 p.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
haha I agree with Umar, teacher with the apple, aww. I've been noticing the eating habits of children too these days and it's very shocking! Even though, I, myself, am I sugar-freak, I know I will never allow my kids to consume so much. And coke will definitely be a no-no ... I know people who give coke to their children (under 3 yrs old, mind you) as if it's water! eeww
At 3:42 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
sugar-fed kids are scary kids.
At 6:08 p.m.,
'liya said…
Sara: I always thought that if I traded my food, my mom would somehow find out, and you know what, she usually did.. because I'd feel so guilty, I'd tell her :S
A Bengali in T.O: Thanks! I agree though, most of these kids do have both parents working, but how hard is it to throw in a pear instead of a chocolate bar?
Umar: I officially felt like a teacher today when I yelled at a student from another class who was running in the hallway :S
Squeeky: I wonder how the whole teacher with a apple thing started? - I'm picturing some Little House on the Prairie school house. I enjoy some sugary things too don't get me wrong, though I am a very picky eater, me and ice cream are best friends - just not everyday!
Fatima: They're also hyper kids who don't want to do math!
At 1:07 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Hey Aaliya,
Maybe you can bring up the issue with the kids. Like planning a lesson on healthy eating habits and why they are important and then why it is unhealthy to eat too much junk food. Then, maybe the kids can speak up to their parents! You can even plan a list with them of "good foods" so they can mention it to their parents, or create a poster or something so their parents get the hint! Hopefully if it works, you will have less-hyper kids to deal with!
At 10:09 p.m.,
Becky L said…
this is a subject that i have HUGE convictions about. My 18 month old daughter does NOT GET CRAP-FOOD... at least, not from me. When i informed my mother-in-law that i didnt want to give erica junk food, she said: "well then we'll have to sneak it when you're not around." Isnt that spiteful?
Why eat icecream when you can have yogurt? There are so many healthier options out there, many that actually taste good. Erica loves fruit. She thinks blueberries and strawberries are a special treat. So then why give her chocolate? And soda-- i shudder at the thought. That carbonation must make their little tummies feel so sick! Plus, the caffaine would keep her up in the wee-hours of the night.
At 11:54 p.m.,
'liya said…
Alicia, I would love to plan a lesson around healthy eating for the kids but the schedule is so tight I don't know when to do it. At snack time I sometimes walk around and make comments like "Oh you brought a banana, that's a wonderful snack," or "carrot sticks, yummyyy!" But at lunch, all I want to do is sit down and eat my own lunch lol. If this was my own class for a year I would definitely do something more. Next week is the last week - already!! Where did the summer go??
Becky, I find that grandparents are often one source of these problems because they make junky food seem so appealing to kids. That's one reason they love going to grandma's! Come-to-grandma for-some-yummy-cake type thing. My grandparents were like that and it drove my mom CRAZY. At least I know that my parents won't be that way to my future kids (hopefully). As for my husband's parents.. we'll have to see. You have the right ideas though, keep up the good work!
Post a Comment
<< Home