A Teacher's Observations (3)
Cooties. They still exist. They will ALWAYS exist.
There isn't a single student who likes to be paired with a member of the opposite sex. I feel bad doing so, but sometimes we have odd numbers of boys and girls and so someone must make the sacrifice. Though it seems to affect the girls more when I pair them with the boys... they pout, throw little fits, and gossip among themselves about how Ms. C "isn't pretty anymore because she's mean now." The boys usually settle down with a single warning glance from me. I seem to have trained them well. Well, either that, or they want to be with the girls! I try to be as fair as I can, but I can't blame the girls. I remember being a little girl and hating boys. Boys were gross.. and they still kinda are, only in different ways now.
What are little boys made of?
Snips and snails, and puppy dogs' tails, that's what little boys are made of.
What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice, and everything nice; that's what little girls are made of.
By the way, what exactly is a "snip"? Maybe I have the wrong word in there.
Last week, our game of the week was Mr. Potato Head Memory. You know, one of those memory games where you take turns flipping the cards to see who can get the most matching pairs. Well, I was playing with one of the students and he kept flipping over cards that had Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato head together - on a picnic, sharing a millkshake, on a boat etc. Anyways, my student kept calling these cards "honeymoon cards," and when I asked him what he meant, he said "my mom said I'm not allowed to think of honeymoons because I'm too little." I thought it was sweet, and then everytime he picked up a card with the two Potato people together, he was like "Aww man, not another honeymoon card!"
Later, this same student told me that he plans never to marry because "girls are boring." I asked him whether he thought I was boring because I'm a girl and he said no and then decided that he needs to find a teacher to marry. I wished him the best of luck, and suggested that he might want to wait till he gets to university. He then told me okay, and that when he's in New York he'll remember my advice.
I think I make a good relationship counsellor for 7-year olds :D
All my students think that York (University) is in New York.
There isn't a single student who likes to be paired with a member of the opposite sex. I feel bad doing so, but sometimes we have odd numbers of boys and girls and so someone must make the sacrifice. Though it seems to affect the girls more when I pair them with the boys... they pout, throw little fits, and gossip among themselves about how Ms. C "isn't pretty anymore because she's mean now." The boys usually settle down with a single warning glance from me. I seem to have trained them well. Well, either that, or they want to be with the girls! I try to be as fair as I can, but I can't blame the girls. I remember being a little girl and hating boys. Boys were gross.. and they still kinda are, only in different ways now.
What are little boys made of?
Snips and snails, and puppy dogs' tails, that's what little boys are made of.
What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice, and everything nice; that's what little girls are made of.
By the way, what exactly is a "snip"? Maybe I have the wrong word in there.
Last week, our game of the week was Mr. Potato Head Memory. You know, one of those memory games where you take turns flipping the cards to see who can get the most matching pairs. Well, I was playing with one of the students and he kept flipping over cards that had Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato head together - on a picnic, sharing a millkshake, on a boat etc. Anyways, my student kept calling these cards "honeymoon cards," and when I asked him what he meant, he said "my mom said I'm not allowed to think of honeymoons because I'm too little." I thought it was sweet, and then everytime he picked up a card with the two Potato people together, he was like "Aww man, not another honeymoon card!"
Later, this same student told me that he plans never to marry because "girls are boring." I asked him whether he thought I was boring because I'm a girl and he said no and then decided that he needs to find a teacher to marry. I wished him the best of luck, and suggested that he might want to wait till he gets to university. He then told me okay, and that when he's in New York he'll remember my advice.
I think I make a good relationship counsellor for 7-year olds :D
All my students think that York (University) is in New York.
20 Comments:
At 1:39 a.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
Your students are so cute! Aww! The honeymoon kid is so funny, post more stories about him :P And I still think boys have cooties ewww
I remember one time when I was coming home from Washington, I showed the airport security my York ID card and they all huddled together because they thought York University was in New York ... weirdos.
At 5:34 a.m.,
Saaleha Idrees Bamjee said…
:) this post was really smiley. perfect for a navy monday. thanks.
i remember being in grade one, rubbing my hands off of girl friends shoulders, shouting madly 'boys touch, nix' after accidentally bumping into one of the puppydogtails on the playground.
At 10:32 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
awww adorable masha'Allah! haha.. lil kids are the best! I'm going to visit my friend and her kids (she is a 1st grad teacher)... i wonder if i can bring a snack like cookies for them (healthy snack suggestions are welcomed 'liya :)
oh and you know, girls had just as many "cooties" as boys did in grade 1! i remember playing this game where we boys would yell a girls name and the last person to fall to the ground liked that girl... hmm looking back, that was a rather silly game... =Þ
At 8:02 p.m.,
'liya said…
Squeeky, that kid is definitely one of the funniest .. and what makes him more funnier is he's so serious all the time when he's talking.. and he wears glasses! - so he's like a little adult in a tiny body.. my goodness, marriage was SUCH a huge topic of discussion in my class today, I don't know why!
Saaleha, I remember that "cootie shot" thing we had to give each other, but I don't remember how the song goes. Something about dots I think. I suppose they have similar songs/chants/spells all over the world :D
Amer: Hmm healthy snack suggestions, - how about some fresh fruit? or nuts (although most schools are nut free now), or some veggies and dip or something. Or make something!
At 8:10 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
OMG! the cootie shot! ....all I remember is 'now I got my cootie shot!" lol....so funny! your kids seem very very cute! I love little kids, especially kids with glasses. Did u get ne job for September yet?
At 10:51 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Circle circle, dot dot, now you've got a cootie shot ;-)
At 10:10 a.m.,
mezba said…
I now think I should tape some of those moments when my younger cousins go "I hate girls" or when some guests arrived - "I will never play with them - they are girls!" Should be good for laughs down the road.
(mez ba)
At 12:19 a.m.,
FU said…
hahah.. aww
lil kids are cute.. stupid.. but cute.
we were stupid too :)
ahh.. makes me remember the days when i thought babies were made when women ate too much food, that elemeno was a letter, and clifford books were the equal of gold.
At 5:07 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
my nephew is about to start preschool next year.
he already dreads it.
today i was telling him about all the outings that kids go on when they're in school and he seems to be warming to the idea.
i was just thinking about u and ur little kids at school.
too oulik! (cute)
i remember getting into wars with boys at school. water pistols and hosepipes and cups filled with water during break times. the teacher yelling at us.
sigh...the memories
At 10:26 p.m.,
'liya said…
Faiza: they really are a cute bunch.. I'm going to miss them.. so far, I'm a supply teacher - I'm happy I at least got that far (until I can find something else). There are absolutely no high schools jobs in peel right now. NOTHING! :S
Anonymous: I do believe that's it :D
A Bengali in TO: Haha, I remember when guests came over who had little boys.. "I'm not going to play with them because they're boys!"
Fu: Aren't we still stupid?! :D Hehe, that elemeno confused me too!
Fatima: Ah, playing with water.. always fun.. then they started banning throwing water and took away all the fun :S Tell your nephew not to worry, he'll have a blast!
At 7:20 p.m.,
Bilal said…
you do not understand them.
you cannot.
trust me.
they are way smarter than us!
At 11:36 p.m.,
Umar said…
hey, i work at business depot, and thought i'd let you know that you can get 10% off everything in the store if you show proof of being a teacher.
the copy center (were i work specifically) has even more discounts and coupons.... so be sure to check it out.
the in-store stuff is only valid on the 17th (today..finished) and the 23rd.
the copy center stuff is on until september 1 (i think)
i don't see any mention of it online, but we did have it at our store... so check the one in your area
At 10:46 p.m.,
Asmaa said…
I still think boys have cooties. Except boys with beards.
At 10:53 p.m.,
'liya said…
Bilal: Now are you talking about girls or kids? :D
Anonymous: Soon, I'm feeling lazy but I do have a lot to blog about..
Umar: Thanks for lettting me know! Is Staples and Business Depot the same thing? Someone told me that Staples has some rewards program for teachers but I had forgotten about that. I shall go on the 23rd and hope that it's still on.. I need to stock up on those nice red liquidy pens, perfect for correcting papers :)
Asmaa: haha :D I think they especially have more!
At 1:09 a.m.,
Umar said…
Staples, Business Depot... same thing.
What you're talking about is the Dividends for Teachers card. Ask someone at the store about it.
Just be sure to take proof of teacher-ship.
At 1:10 a.m.,
Umar said…
...WHY am I promoting Staples products when I'm obviously NOT working?
I think I'm spending too much time at work
At 5:04 a.m.,
sara said…
boys are stupid. and they smell.
At 2:07 p.m.,
Becky L said…
i helped w/ a day camp last week, working with 6 and 7 year olds. i didnt really run into the cutie thing... but i never actually paired them up. I'm sure if i had, there would have been comments of disgruntledment.
At 8:19 p.m.,
'liya said…
Umar: My proof of teacher-ship is my card I just got in the mail last week yay! And Staples is fun, I like looking at all the interesting supplies that I'd love to have in my dream office. Do you ever imagine stuff like that when you're working or is that just something girls do?
Sara: I agree, they are stupid. But sometimes they smell nice!
Becky: All of mine were cute, some just more than others! But my camp was more like a school.. and now that it's over I miss themmmmmmmm. I really got to know them and love them :(
At 11:51 p.m.,
Umar said…
nope...i think it's just something girls do.
Post a Comment
<< Home