To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

This just in!

Ignore what I said two posts previous. I just found out this morning at the new teachers staff meeting that I'm going to be teaching grade 11 English.

If you're wondering what I'd been hired for before the switch it was grade 10 Careers. Yes, Careers is a (mandatory) course for all Grade 10's (new Ontario curriculum).

As before, more (new & improved) details coming soon!

12 Comments:

  • At 3:20 p.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    Hey that's awesome! Congratulations.

    English is a much better subject to teach than careers. Everyone in high school hates career studies. Well, I did at least.

     
  • At 5:03 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    Omg Liya, you're like a real teacher!

     
  • At 10:02 a.m., Blogger FU said…

    ur a smelly teacher.
    i'm going to egg your car and TP your house and um...

    wait i can't... ur a cooool teacher!!!!!!!!

    :)

    congrats on everything... i just feel bad for u coz ur back in school.. eeek!

     
  • At 11:28 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Asmaa: Thanks :) I'm quite happier especially since this is the subject I wanted to teach (and art). My sister told me that everyone loved careers because it was easy (but also pointless because who really thinks about their career in grade 10). The part they hated was Civics (which I don't even know what that is).

    Sara: Yup! And I went shopping to buy some "real" teacher clothes! And the school I'm teaching at is quite close to the school you attended (I think - if I'm remembering the right one).

    Fu: I guess there'll never be a time when I don't have to go back to school in September...I hope! And I hope I'm a cool teacher or at least give everyone the impression that I am since I've been spending a lot of money on cool teacher clothes (from Le Chateau! yay!) hehe. Shopping for any new job is quite wonderful :)

     
  • At 12:59 p.m., Blogger mezba said…

    Congratulations. It's going to be a bit different than teaching kids, I assume?

    I never went to school here, so what exactly do they teach in Careers?

     
  • At 5:44 p.m., Blogger Nabeel said…

    hmmm u are a teacher .. didn't know that .. grade 11 .. nice what subjects do u teach?

    I am going to be a teacher too soon .. once i do my PhD and all .. God willing.

     
  • At 9:54 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    congrats my dear :)

     
  • At 9:13 a.m., Blogger Skiingred said…

    Just happened upon your blog... congrats on the new job... I'm also a teacher, but one thing I wish people would have told me.... be a complete B***h the first days...especially if you are a young female teacher in the upper grades... It's tough at first, but being too nice makes is so much harder later on in the year! Ugh...

    Best of luck to you - English is an awesome subject to teach!

     
  • At 10:59 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Mezba: Well Careers is supposed to be one of those courses where you learn more about yourself (what type of a learner you are, what are your interests, what are you best at etc.) - all done through those fun little quizzes that can get boring after you've done a million. You also learn about interview skills (most students at this age might be looking for a job), resume writing, and how to build a professional portfolio. Plus you research different post secondary options and what they offer, learn about different jobs and skills, and learn what courses are required to get you into what you really want to do. It sounds really good, but I think this sort of course is more applicable to grade 12's who should be thinking more about these things.

    It's a half course and the other half of it is Civics which I think is about learning about the government but I'm not sure.

    Nabeel: English for now, and hopefully visual art one day too. I'd really like a balance of both. What level and subject do you want to teach? Teaching is the best! - Happy to hear that you're going into it :D

    Anonymous: Thanks :S

    Skiingred: That's what I've been told too. You have to lay down all the rules and show them that they can't walk all over you. I hope I can do that..

    I agree, English is awesome! Good luck to you too. 3 more days!!

     
  • At 11:09 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am going to shoot for Mathematics. Once i get some experience in teaching Highschool (algebra and calculus) .. I would shoot for University .. will teach HTML,CSS, ASP and various deisgn courses .. God Willing.

    I used to teach all my neighborhood kids when I was in Pakistan.

     
  • At 7:29 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    i don't think u have to go to teachers college to be a university professor, u just have to do a masters or sumfin.

     
  • At 6:34 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nabeel: Ooooh algebra and calculus! University professor sounds good! My grandparents really want me to do that and maybe I would want to if they didn't want me to so much - if that makes sense.

    Sara: You're right, you don't have to, but it would probably be helpful if you did anyway. Plus while you're there you might decide you like high school better and stick with that.. or you might decide you want to go where the higher money is leading you :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home