To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The York Series (9)

Part 9: The Exchange
Finished University? Time to head back to High School!

The shiny new bus signs.. plants where there only used to be grass.. those lamp thingys on the checkout counter at Scott library.. the new procedures for buying books at bookstore... and that plastic new YU card.. - these are just some of the little changes that I noticed as I led a group of high school students on a tour of York University today.

I was volunteering as a peer advisor for Stong College for the frosh academic orientation. My group consisted of teenagers from all the regular places: Brampton, Mississauga, Scarborough, Hamilton etc. .. and the not so regular places - like the German exchange student who spoke with the lovely accent. Like me, they were all English majors (and half of them want to get into Concurrent Ed). Anyways, I led them through the campus showing them the regular spots (libraries, computer labs, places to eat etc.), and the not so regular places, like the underground pathway that I loved to take during cold or rainy days (from the Computer Science & Engineering Building to the Chemistry Building).

York is a big place and I think my tour of the campus scared them a bit. But like any caring mother, I took them to find all their lecture halls, classrooms, and bus stops, and I told them they'd probably be completely lost for a few days, but not to worry because it will seem like everyone is lost.

Overall, it was a good experience. One of my favourite York professors was sorta in charge and remembered me from the two courses of his that I took in 3rd year (Squeeky remember Paolucci?!).

Most importanly, I got to understand the fears and excitement going through the minds of these poor little girls and boy's heads. Because yes, for the next four years, they will be poor. And they'll wish they were still little. But most likely they'll have the time of their lives -- in between the essays and stress -- because that's how I experienced it. But that fear and excitement that was mine four years ago, is entering my head at an alarming rate now that I'm about to begin teaching in less than a week. Haha.. they're going to university and I'm going back to high school... I suppose in a way it's almost like an exchange.

CURRENT MOOD: Anxious

3 Comments:

  • At 12:36 p.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    i was about to say: "dont be anxious!" but i realized that if i were in your place, i'd be anxious too...
    hope all goes well for you though.

     
  • At 7:05 p.m., Blogger Umar said…

    congrats on your new job :)

    good luck with the kids... you'll find quite a difference between your summer experience and this new one.

     
  • At 11:09 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Becky: Thanks, I hope so too :) I have to attend a staff meeting tomorrow for new teachers and I'm even nervous about doing that! - that's just how scared I am and I'm not even meeting the students yet!

    Umar: Thanks! Haha I know, I found the change from my high school placement during the year to the grade 2's during the summer to be refreshing though, so I'm hoping I'll feel equally refreshed switching back to what I like best :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home