To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

First Day/Week Jitters?

I feel weird.. I was just marking papers -- the first assignment of the year -- to write a letter to the teacher introducing themselves... and I noticed that a couple of my students had written down that they were born in 1988. All of a sudden I felt shivers running down my spine. Am I really only 5 years older than my students? ... isn't that ... odd? I guess I just didn't think of it like that before. I guess I was okay with the grade 2's in the summer because they were so little.. but in some ways I still feel like a high school student myself. I mean, did 4 years of university really go by so fast? Did they???

Sometimes I feel like I still need to leave my house early to catch the GO bus. But now I'm driviinnnnnnggggggggg.

One week ago I watched my sister plan what to wear on her first day back (for grade 12), all the while I planned what I was going to say on that fateful day. And then, surprisingly enough, on that day I wasn't nervous AT ALL. I couldn't believe it afterwards. Like why wasn't I nervous? I'm ALWAYS nervous for first day things! I still don't get it. I suppose I should be happy. Instead I feel as though I don't really know myself.

*Sigh*

Anyways, I walked in, wrote my name on the board, sat ON the teacher's desk, and then proceeded to lie to my students. I told them that I had been teaching for a couple of years. Hey, it just came out! I suppose I'll come clean with them at the end of the semester. I hadn't even planned on lying. But then I hadn't planned on telling the truth either. And then we played one of those getting-to-know-you games that teachers always like to play on the first day. My game* was based on lying. And telling the truth. I figured that would be interesting for high school students. But it got them too excited. I've decided that we shouldn't have games for awhile.

They're a great class. Sure, they're like that English class straight out of Dangerous Minds (seriously!) but a great class nonetheless.

I'm having a lot of fun.

I totally LOVE my job.

And the other classes I've taught so far aren't that bad either.

______________________________


*THE GAME: Each student had to think of two truthful things about themselves to tell the class and one lie. The class hears all three things and has to guess which one is the lie.

Nice eh? My sister gave me the idea. She told me that if I hand out one of those activity sheets where students have to go around asking people if they're born in March they'll hate me. Good advice I think.

Now you play it. In your comment, list three things about yourself in no particular order. Two should be true and one should be a lie. I'll guess which one is false. Be creative. But not too creative. Don't say something like "I'm a boy who wants to become a girl." Those kind of things make teachers wish they assigned textbook questions :D

31 Comments:

  • At 10:40 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :)

    I really miss taking the Go Bus, you don't understand :(

    And I have those sudden moments too, I can imagine why it'd be a little weird hehe Glad you're having a great time! My little students feel like the students in Dangerous Minds as well :S haha

     
  • At 10:45 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Squeeky: If your students are like the students in Dangerous Minds then you've got a REAL problem!

    :D

     
  • At 10:52 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    BTW I just realized you didn't play the game!! I need to guess!

     
  • At 4:31 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    I quit smoking
    I got mugged
    I bought a car

     
  • At 5:06 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't smoke
    I got mugged too
    I've got a car

    PS: interesting game.

     
  • At 8:57 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I quit my job...
    I'm getting married...
    U never return my calls!!!

     
  • At 11:16 a.m., Blogger FU said…

    I love coke
    I enjoy running
    My stomach feels funny right now.


    :) what am i lying about???

     
  • At 5:53 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Sara: I'm gonna hope the "quit smoking" is the truth.. so I'll go with the third one... I HOPE YOU QUIT SMOKING! I SAID, I HOPE YOU QUIT SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Balaji: Hmm I guess I'll pick #2.. how many people can have gotten mugged right?! BTW you're just like one of my students copying the person before you :D

    Aman: I know you were planning to quit so that can't be the lie, and I know you'd call me if you were getting married (well I sure hope so lol).. so I pick #3 as your lie.. because you're the one that never returns my calls - not me!

    Fu: Oh boy.. okay I'll pick #2 because maybe if you just drank a lot of coke and your stomache feels funny so you wouldn't even want to run .. or are you just lying about all 3.. because you can't do that!!!

     
  • At 5:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey liya
    awww ur job sounds awesome! What school/grade do u teach? You dont really know me so I dont think I can play the game. :(

     
  • At 6:09 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh and I also wanted to say, ur trip to Niagara's waterpark seems kinda like Wild Water Kingdom, especially the lazy river part! And ring? Are u getting married so young? Your sisters must be so sad!

     
  • At 9:57 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Faiza, that's okay, you STILL have to play!!

    The waterpark was a lot like Wild Water Kingdom, well from what I remember (I haven't been there in so long!) so maybe it was more like Splashworks all combined indoors?! It was a lot of fun!

    More details about my teaching coming soon!

     
  • At 9:59 p.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    liya-- you and i are here at the exact same time... 9:57. kinda funny.

    1) I'm addicted to coffee
    2) I have an extra bone in my body
    3) I've never been out of the US

     
  • At 10:08 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1) I went to Turner Fenton
    2) I'm in my last year of University (go U of T!)
    3) I graduated high school in 2004

     
  • At 2:40 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Uh OH! my dear teacher is wrong!! :P

    #3 is a lie, I don't have a car.

    Can I continue this or, each get their chance just once?

    PS: Copying, that is how I passed all my exams and got my degree :P . Oh, come on you don't punish your kids for copying, do you?

     
  • At 8:44 a.m., Blogger Muhammad said…

    i kinda still remember my teachers... one thing i noticed was i did better in the classes in which i liked the teachers than in the classes wehre the teachers were assholes.

    Lol :)

    Peace,

    M.

     
  • At 8:45 a.m., Blogger Muhammad said…

    btw, I teach "Muslim classes" to Grade 2 kids on wednesdays for a half hour.. voluntary thing... teaching teaches you a lot about people, relationships and the way kids think... I like it :)

     
  • At 5:00 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Becky: I'm not going to pick #2 because I think that may be possible since you have a twin.. I'll go with #3.. you must come to Canada!

    Faiza: I'm going to go with #3 because I know the first two are right! It wouldn't be possible for you to graduate in '04 and be done uni this year - right?!

    Balaji: Humph, well teachers make mistakes too - plus I don't know who you are! On the subject of copying.. see my next post tomorrow, I think I'll write about an incident that occured today. Sure you can continue :)

    Muhammed: Your grade 2 kids are at a special age. I would never teach anything younger than that because then they're crying babies, and nothing older than that in the elementary section because then they're annoying. I remember my mean teachers too, that's why I'm try to be nice :)

     
  • At 7:26 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good job liya! :) I graduated HS in 2003...good math skills...lol..I tried to make it easy for you tho! ;) I'm still really curious about what grade you teach and where! Cant wait for that entry!!

     
  • At 8:30 p.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    the first two are true for me: i'm addicted to coffee, and i DO have an extra bone in my body. its near my clavical.
    My false statement is about never being out of the country. I have been to canada, and also venezuela.

     
  • At 3:16 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hmmm....sounds great man!

    1) I have long hair
    2) I smashed my brother's car against a pole and blamed it on a hit and run incident
    3) I smoke

     
  • At 10:42 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Faiza: Too easy! That entry will come soon (though I think I mentioned I teach grade 11?). I don't want to get into too many details yet because I don't want to get in trouble for anything. Not that I would say anything bad because I really do love the school! :)

    Becky: Oops I read your first comment wrong but I did get the last one right! I forgot it was a lie so that would mean you HAVE been out of US :) That's pretty interesting about the extra bone, of course I didn't know what a clavicle was so I had to look it up in the dictionary hehe.

    Fatima: I'm going to guess #2 because well hmm can you really get away with that? I think the police would figure it out :S

     
  • At 5:40 p.m., Blogger Bilal said…

    my car got stolen!
    i dont smoke
    i didnt get mugged

    Btw, big ups to you and all the other teachers out there for choosing the most noble of all professions:)

     
  • At 9:24 p.m., Blogger FU said…

    ur wrong!i hate coke.

    i always get nose burps after i drink it.

    hahahahahaa....

     
  • At 10:12 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    are you and agent meow meow getting married?

     
  • At 12:00 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Bilal: Argh! Must all you guys copy Sara!! This just makes it confusing for me :S Okay, I'm going to go with #1 A car is a big thing to have stolen so I don't think it was. Then again, it is SA.. who knows lol.

    Fu: Aww I thought I at least had you right. You had to go and pick something so confusing :S

    Anonymous: There are only 3 people who I can think of who know the name Agent Meow Meow. You're not Agent Meow Meow so that takes him out of the picture, you're not the other person I'm thinking of because he already knows the answer to that questions, so that only leaves... Leila? Are you actually alive and reading my blog? Wow.

     
  • At 12:41 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    meoooooooooooowwwwwwwww
    no this is agent meow meow .......
    (K)

     
  • At 10:20 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Huh?! No it's not.. that makes no sense..

     
  • At 11:22 a.m., Blogger mezba said…

    A bit late to this, but since you know me only from my blog, maybe it will be a challenge.

    1. I recently bought an expensive toy.
    2. I do not like talking to women.
    3. I don't drive a Nissan Maxima.

    BTW as for the young teacher thing, I have to tell you (again) - none of our teachers when we went to high school were this young - the youngest was one who was born during Bangladesh's creation.

     
  • At 5:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    #2 : was the truth.
    i got away with bumping the car against a pole, smashed the door in and guess what...i blamed it on a hit and run.
    and they believed me.
    :P
    smoking is a bad habit - i shall never take it up. ew.

     
  • At 5:39 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Mezba: Lol okay I guess #2 because maybe you DO like talking to women?!

    I don't remember any of my teachers being so young either. Most were older, rounder, and motherly :S

    Fatima: Okay well I'm glad smoking is your lie - SARA ARE YOU READING THIS!! hehe. That's pretty crazy about the car thing... are you ever going to tell them? If that ever happened to me I don't think I would :D

     
  • At 2:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    no ways!
    the way my brother reacted when he saw the dent....nah.... i don't think i'll tell him the truth until the car, for e.g. gets sold and i'm like 50years old... lol!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home