To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Wandering Eyes

The school I'm teaching at has a really good reputation. Not only is it an IB school, but it also has a large enhanced/gifted program. For those of you that don't know, IB is considered something special and only a handful of schools in Ontario offer the program, - the school I'm teaching at being one of them. My own high school had it and I actually applied to get in but then withdrew my application at the last second when I learned I wouldn't be in classes with my friends. The silly mind of a teenager did I very much so have.

Anyways, this post has a lesson to it. The lesson is that even the "best" kids in the school are not always "the best." I was supply teaching for another English teacher. A class I thought would be fantastic because they were IB. I had supply taught another IB class that morning and thought it was the greatest thing in the world. Now there's a group of kids that make teachers excited. I thought this second class would be pretty much the same. It was the same, well... with the exception of the CHEATER.

I can't believe I already caught a student cheating on test. Okay, so the test hadn't started yet - but I was giving the class 15 minutes to review their work and out of the corner of my eye I noticed him busy scribbling on his desk. It wasn't even a test, it was more like a quiz. It required students to write down the the definition of each literary device listed. Simple stuff, or so you'd think. But I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt so I made sure he saw me looking and then I looked away - just to see if he would continue writing on his desk if I wasn't looking. He did.

Like most schools today, the rules for cheating (and plagiarism) are heavily enforced.

So what did I do? ... Did I yell at him in front of all his super smart IB peers? Did I rip up his paper and threaten to send him down to the VP? Did I tell him a phone call would be going home to his parents? No. I simply walked up to him, leaned over and quietly whispered "It probably isn't a good idea if you do that. If you erase everything, I'll still let you write the test." He erased.

Did YOU ever cheat on a test? I think at one point we've all cheated on something. CONFESS! I dare you! I remember writing math formulas on my eraser in grade 9 but I always felt intensely guilty after using it...

If anyone were to say that they've NEVER cheated on anything I wouldn't believe them. If it weren't on test then it'd be on something else. Like a person. Yikes.

Well that's all for now.
Keep your eyes to yourself :)

P.S Based on the information I've given about the school, does anyone want to take a guess as to what school I'm teaching at? If you do, just give the school's initials.

10 Comments:

  • At 1:12 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey liya!
    OMG...I was in IB at Turner Fenton!!! Wow...it was a great experience tho and I got 3 transfer credits to U of T even before I started my freshman year. Anyway, I think I can guess as to where u teach...does it start with a G?

     
  • At 2:39 p.m., Blogger FU said…

    i cheated in grade 1 on a spelling test. it was for the days of a the week and i couldn't spell wednesday so i wrote it on my cardboard divider that we used to block other kids from cheating.

    mrs goodger came up to me in the middle of the quiz and got me in trouble in front of the whole class and gave me a zero.

    in high school and uni i would write calculus formulas on my calculator in pencil. since the calculator was grey, you could only see the writing from a certain angle and if you saw the teacher approaching you, all u had to do was quickly rub it off and none would be the wiser. :)

    i'm evil. i know

    all in all. i think i did ok in the long run.

    :)

     
  • At 10:21 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Faiza: Yes! You're right ;) Let's call it G.S. It's pretty connected to Turner as they're both the representative IB schools for their areas. When the Principal found out I was from Turner she got so excited!

    Fu: It started so young eh? LOL. I don't even remember that far back, let alone having tests in grade one! Yuck, calculus in university? Now why would you do that?!! No wonder you had to cheat!

     
  • At 10:49 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    Hey liya, when is your lunch? we should go out for lunch or grab a bite to eat after you're done work. It's close enough to UTM, so just call me!

    :D

     
  • At 12:17 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG...do other ppl go to UTM who visit this blog? I go to UTM too. And liya...G.S. it is!

     
  • At 11:44 a.m., Blogger mezba said…

    hmm.. I am not admitting to any cheating since UT has the power to revoke my degree, and since we now know that some ppl from that university reads this blog ... lol

    In any case, as a TA I saw lots of cheating going on. Some I punished, some I let go. I never ratted on the prof though, usually when I would see a blatant example of plagiarism I would circle it in red, write 'same as --' or 'copied from ---' and then deduct whatever mark I thought was necessary (depending on my mood). However only one student so far took it to the prof and pleaded not guilty. He was repremanded, lost the credit for the whole course and had a mark on his record. After that became well known, other students learned quickly. I should write a blog post on the number of stupid cheating I saw - I mean if you have to cheat, do it smartly! Yes, I am going to write a post on it.

     
  • At 8:37 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    Yesss Faiza! I go to UTM! I'm kind of anti-social though lol I havent joined a club since I was in first year, and in that year I was part of Caribean Connections. This year I'm just volunteering with Comunity on Campus with the special needs students. Are you in fourth year?

     
  • At 9:23 a.m., Blogger Saaleha Idrees Bamjee said…

    mines is a major naoozubillah, cheated on a test at madressah. my first and last time.

     
  • At 6:40 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes I'm in 4th year! OMG...r u too? What's ur major? I'm taking Psychology, Biology and Philosophy courses....this is so weird, maybe I know u!

     
  • At 6:54 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nuffy: My lunch period switches back and forth. After school would be great though! Email me your cell number so I don't have to hunt through my room and tell me what time your classes end - Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays are good because I end at 3 and can get to Square 1 by 3:15

    Faiza: Yes other people do hehe :D

    Mezba: That's a good idea. I actually told my class what I had experienced with the other class and they found it sad (and funny). They promised me they wouldn't do that. I told them I didn't trust them (told them jokingly), then I gave them a quiz :D

    Nuffy: You anti-social??! That doesn't sound like you :S

    Saaleha: Oh my! :D

    Faiza & Nuffy: You guys have probably walked passed each other a couple of times and don't even know it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home