Word!
Word on the Street: We got rained out and I missed the bus home. We only got to walk through maybe 1/4 of the tents of books and I didn't even buy anything... but I had fun. And I saw Fu!
Bad words: How can I expect my students not to swear so much when the book we're reading is full of it? I swear (hehe), that I've never said so many WORDS like this ever in my life, yet I was surprised how easily they came out...
Harsh words: I've now been yelled at twice at school. By who? By two teachers - who thought I was a student walking through the out-of-bounds hallways during 3rd and 4rth period. Crazy! And I even wear identification that says I'm a teacher!
Too many words: I gave my students a quiz today and because it was during period 5 I told them if they needed extra time I'd stay after school. Well a few students stayed for about 10 minutes more, but one stayed a whole 45 MINUTES longer! I now have an ESSAY to mark!
Wordsearch: Hey, I still like them! I don't know why my students complained so much when I gave one. They're fun! And NOT just for children!
A loss of words: In an effort to look older, I got my hair cut before school started. I really love my new hair. It's the shortest it's been since I was in grade 8. My friend Nisha who I went to high school with, is a hair stylist at Shoppers World. She's been cutting my hair for the past 6 years and when she finished the snip sniping this time I wanted to hug her. Anyways I was kind of caught of guard when two students asked me what shampoo I used because they wanted to style their hair like mine. Needless to say, I felt really good after that :D
Word of the day: Emo. Can someone tell me what it means? My students use it all the time - for example, "he's such an emo." I don't want to admit to them that I don't know what it means. It isn't in the dictionary. I checked.
Microsoft Word: Stupid thing! I thought I had saved something but I didn't and then had to type the whole thing again. It required too much brain work and when there's no food in your tummy it's hard to get that brain working...
But no more words now... 3 more minutes and it's kitchen time :)
Bad words: How can I expect my students not to swear so much when the book we're reading is full of it? I swear (hehe), that I've never said so many WORDS like this ever in my life, yet I was surprised how easily they came out...
Harsh words: I've now been yelled at twice at school. By who? By two teachers - who thought I was a student walking through the out-of-bounds hallways during 3rd and 4rth period. Crazy! And I even wear identification that says I'm a teacher!
Too many words: I gave my students a quiz today and because it was during period 5 I told them if they needed extra time I'd stay after school. Well a few students stayed for about 10 minutes more, but one stayed a whole 45 MINUTES longer! I now have an ESSAY to mark!
Wordsearch: Hey, I still like them! I don't know why my students complained so much when I gave one. They're fun! And NOT just for children!
A loss of words: In an effort to look older, I got my hair cut before school started. I really love my new hair. It's the shortest it's been since I was in grade 8. My friend Nisha who I went to high school with, is a hair stylist at Shoppers World. She's been cutting my hair for the past 6 years and when she finished the snip sniping this time I wanted to hug her. Anyways I was kind of caught of guard when two students asked me what shampoo I used because they wanted to style their hair like mine. Needless to say, I felt really good after that :D
Word of the day: Emo. Can someone tell me what it means? My students use it all the time - for example, "he's such an emo." I don't want to admit to them that I don't know what it means. It isn't in the dictionary. I checked.
Microsoft Word: Stupid thing! I thought I had saved something but I didn't and then had to type the whole thing again. It required too much brain work and when there's no food in your tummy it's hard to get that brain working...
But no more words now... 3 more minutes and it's kitchen time :)
15 Comments:
At 11:36 p.m.,
zee said…
hello der once again:)
this was a super read,but will only comment partly for now
'emo' - is derived from 'emotional' as I've always understood it and has a no of different meanings all depending on how u use it.
it was initially derived from rock groups having deep emotional lyrics in their songs n earned the description of fallin under the emo music genre
so wen ppl use it 2day as in 'he's such n emo', it actually refers to a guy that is overly sensitive - even melodramatic:)
in other uses of da word, it could also refer to a guys style of dress - da dorky lookin guy wit da tight jersey n round rimmed glasses is often da most common description of n 'emo boy'. this should not b confused wit nerd however cause n emo boy is jus a guy dat dresses in a certain fashion dat says he's not afraid of showing his sensitive side.
hope dat explains it sort of;)
ciao4now
zee
At 4:21 a.m.,
Muhammad said…
wow Zee, on the button :)
Liya I loved this post :)
word.
M.
At 6:26 a.m.,
sara said…
i knew it! i wanted to ask u why your avatar had short hair! i want to see how it looks in real life so upload or email me a pic please!!!! also, you saw fu?!!!!! how is he?! can't wait till december! let me know if the conference is on, if it is, book my ticket with your family's. miss ya lots! xo
At 10:03 a.m.,
mezba said…
I was there at the last word of the street - I just love books and could hang around a muksy bookstore all day. Toronto is great that way - so many festivals - one for all of us.
When I was a TA on my first day I entered the class (it was five minutes late - not good) one student actually told me 'hey guy grab a seat quick - luckily the TA is late'. His face was something to see when I actually walked up to the blackboard and introduced myself.
At 12:05 p.m.,
'liya said…
Zee: Hi! Thanks for enlightening me :D I suppose it would have to be the appearance/clothing factor. None of my students are emotional or maybe they hide it really well. We watched a sad movie that had me crying but they laughed when the good guy was shot :S
Muhammed: Hehe :) So you and Zee know.. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't *sigh* How do I keep up with these things?
Sara: I have no picture of me and my new hair yet - maybe on Eid? But that's like a month away and by then it'll grow.. It's cut exactly how it's shown on the avatar though. Just pretend she's me! I like her, I just wish she had more clothing options - can you tell I'm trying to relate her background/clothing to my posts?
and I miss you too!!
Mezba: Tons of festivals, I agree, which is why I want to live downtown one day - for a short while anyway!
Haha that must have been some face to see. Similar things have happened with the classes I've been substituting for. One student thought I was a new student and tried to get me caught up on the work before I could get a word out about who I was :S
At 2:58 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
good to see the wheels turning!
short hair means new beginnings :))
take care
fida . .
At 3:18 p.m.,
FU said…
u have short hair, i have long hair, what's this world coming to?!?!
i always thought emo was a style/genre of music.. but i didn't know it was a personality trait either. god we are so old.
i will blog my exciting news soon.. not yet... i still have to blog about my new screen/stage name. eek!
all in good time!
it was great to see u at the festival.. i didn't think u recognized me though.. hahaha
At 5:36 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
hey liya
your story is so funny. Did u get a bob? I want to see!!
At 9:03 p.m.,
Mr. RN said…
i was so eager to answer your question, "what does emo mean?" but then i realized that everyone else had answered you.
i went through an emo stage. yes yes. guitar music. tight jeans. sensitive guy. watching indie films.
wait... im still some of those things.
At 9:44 p.m.,
'liya said…
Fida: I sure hope so! But not too new.. I don't like change that much :S
Fu: You're right, at first I didn't recognize you.. it took me a few seconds (but I got it before you told V who you were)! A new stage name :O I want to know - I wonder if this has to do with the time you were thinking of the name.. cause if it does I hope you picked the name I chose!
Faiza: No not a bob, I'm not that brave!! It's short enough so that it doesn't all stay in my ponytail if I put it up. Maybe I'll put up a picture soon.
Mr. O: I'm happy that everyone wants to help me expand my vocab :D Hmmm.. are you still tight jeans?! None of my male students are tight jeans. Most of their jeans are so big it's halfway down their legs - something I really don't like :S
At 7:46 a.m.,
Becky L said…
oh man. i wanted to be the one to tell you what "emo" is. but apparently everyone else already knows.
i LOVED emo music. ... brings back good memories of my younger days. [okay, so i'm 25. thats still pretty young]
At 9:24 p.m.,
'liya said…
Becky: Apparently everyone knew except me! AND today in the paper there was an article on being EMO :S
*sigh*
At 10:04 p.m.,
Asmaa said…
Haha, great post :D
So teachers think you're a student, eh? That must feel good. In some demented sort of way :S lol
At 10:37 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
....funny u never mentioned before that it was that short, i wanna see!!!!! u still look like a student, enjoy it while u can (lol)...interesting post :)
At 10:30 a.m.,
'liya said…
Asmaa: I don't know if it feels good.. the more it happens the more I feel like I AM a student :S
Aman: I thought we talked about my haircut? I don't even remember. Hey, I'm still waiting for the picture so I can start painting!
Post a Comment
<< Home