The 29th
At Cooper's Masjid they finished the Quran tonight.. and it certainly was a different experience than at Taric. First of all, the place was so packed that my sister and I had to pray in the big tent that was set up outside. Luckily it was well heated! Secondly, it wasn't very emotional like I like it to be. While the dua at the end was very very nice, I don't think the last taraweeh had anyone shedding any tears. At Taric everything was just read with such passion.. but I guess you just have to take what you can and not be picky. I'm glad that I went again.
Okay now I know that Ramadan is not yet over, but I just want to be the first to wish everyone a very happy Eid (that and the fact that I think I'll be too busy on that day to blog anything).
I hope everyone has a fun filled day of catching up on the latest family gossip and eating yummy food made with lots of love. Unfortunately I will not be celebrating Eid with my family - well at least not during the day because *gasp* I'm NOT taking time off work. I figure the food and festivities will still be on when I get home. The only thing I'll really miss are the Eid prayers in the morning.. the way my parents always argue about where we should go to pray.. and the way by dad always gets us to pray together in the car on the way to mosque..
Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar,
laa ilaha illallah,
Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar
wa lillahil-hamd
God is the Greatest, God is the Greatest, God is the Greatest
There is no deity but [the One] God
God is the Greatest, God is the Greatest
and to God goes all praise
The same process occurs every year where my dad will tell us that whoever prays the loudest will get the most money for Eid. Then we'll all recite out loud even though we know he'll tease us by saying something like "oh so you only pray out loud for money." Then after making us all feel equally guilty he'll give us each the same amount anyway. Maybe I should reconsider and take the day off.. *sighs*
Well whatever I decide, for now, I simply had to pretend dress myself in the lovely sari that you see on me in the top right box. Quite gorgeous don't you think? I was saving it for a special occasion but I figure nothing else is coming up so might as well bring it out! Ahh feel that silk.. the beads.. the sequins.. at least I'll be "dressed" in the spirit for Eid.
Have a lovely day whether you celebrate or not!
Okay now I know that Ramadan is not yet over, but I just want to be the first to wish everyone a very happy Eid (that and the fact that I think I'll be too busy on that day to blog anything).
I hope everyone has a fun filled day of catching up on the latest family gossip and eating yummy food made with lots of love. Unfortunately I will not be celebrating Eid with my family - well at least not during the day because *gasp* I'm NOT taking time off work. I figure the food and festivities will still be on when I get home. The only thing I'll really miss are the Eid prayers in the morning.. the way my parents always argue about where we should go to pray.. and the way by dad always gets us to pray together in the car on the way to mosque..
Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar,
laa ilaha illallah,
Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar
wa lillahil-hamd
God is the Greatest, God is the Greatest, God is the Greatest
There is no deity but [the One] God
God is the Greatest, God is the Greatest
and to God goes all praise
The same process occurs every year where my dad will tell us that whoever prays the loudest will get the most money for Eid. Then we'll all recite out loud even though we know he'll tease us by saying something like "oh so you only pray out loud for money." Then after making us all feel equally guilty he'll give us each the same amount anyway. Maybe I should reconsider and take the day off.. *sighs*
Well whatever I decide, for now, I simply had to pretend dress myself in the lovely sari that you see on me in the top right box. Quite gorgeous don't you think? I was saving it for a special occasion but I figure nothing else is coming up so might as well bring it out! Ahh feel that silk.. the beads.. the sequins.. at least I'll be "dressed" in the spirit for Eid.
Have a lovely day whether you celebrate or not!
16 Comments:
At 1:45 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Slms, been reading your blog for a lil while now...always a great read!! Eid Mubarak to you and your family...may you all have a wonderful day! Take care!!
Shireen
At 6:04 a.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
Aww! She's wearing a sari!! haha That is too adorable, but she really looks good. No, I think you'd look better, masha'Allah ;) At least we have the excitement of Eid to look forward to. My dad has us reciting that du'a as well and it's such a beautiful feeling. Just doing these certain little things really make Eid (like applying mehndi, attending Eid Salaat ... the fooooood)
Have a great one 'liya! *muah*
(I have a student named "Leah", when I say her name, reminds me of you tee hee)
At 6:23 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
no wedding?
At 12:02 p.m.,
'liya said…
Shireen: Aww thank you! Eid Mubarak to you and your family too :) Thanks for reading!!
Squeeky: Hehe when I saw that sari I simply had to use it :D Have a great one too and I want to see those mendhi pictures - you're so talented with that, I bet your hands look beautiful!
Anonymous: Can't celebrate two things at once! Who's wedding?! Yours? If it is, you should get Squeeky to do your mendhi lol.
At 2:11 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Eid Mubarak liya! It is also Diwali...saturday was crazy with all the firecrakcers and lights! Where's the sari pic...I dont see it anywhere! :(
At 2:56 p.m.,
Hanna said…
Eid Mubarak sis! :)
At 3:52 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Eid mubarak my dear :)
May you and your family have a great one :)
And please...take the day off or else I'm going to smack you around with a dirty stinky smelly sock!
:P
At 7:05 p.m.,
Bilal said…
Its mixed feelings right now- happy that the Quran is completed in Taraweeh, but sad that Ramadaan is over:)
Eid Mubarak!
Hope you and your family have a lovely day...
At 8:05 p.m.,
Z said…
eid mubarak Miss!
At 8:41 p.m.,
'liya said…
Faiza: yes there were tons of fireworks here! The sari is on my avatar in the box at the top (maybe it wasn't working when you were on).
Hanna, Fatima, Bilal & Z: Thanks, same to all of you :)
Samira: I want to see lots of pictures from you guys! You all have more interesting lives anyway lol. I don't even have everyone's addresses! Have a great day and please give our salams to everyone :)
At 4:10 a.m.,
sara said…
Aww, cute sari. Eid mubarak Pilly.
At 12:49 p.m.,
Squeeky said…
Eid Mubarak!!!!!!!
At 9:22 a.m.,
mezba said…
Wow. An avatar in a sari. I like anything in a sari... been reading your blog for sometime now, great writing, hope you and your family had a good and fun Eid. I took the day off, and even though was super tired at the end of the day, when I came back on Tuesday it felt as if I was coming back after a long vacation - had to search out my coffee mug to take back to work and so on.
At 10:33 p.m.,
'liya said…
Sara, Squeeky & Mezba: Thanks, thanks, and thanks :D Hope you all had a blast!
At 4:03 p.m.,
zee said…
belated eid mbrk to u too:)
how was your eid day btw?
At 8:35 p.m.,
'liya said…
My day was fabulous! Thanks for asking :)
Post a Comment
<< Home