To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloween

And so it comes that one time of year again when I become a princess. I think I've been a princess every year of my trick-or-treating and my not trick-or-treating life. I wouldn't want to be anything else. As V would say, I'm such a girl. As I would reply, well I am a girl.

I can't believe there were no princess costumes for my avator to wear! She'll have to be happy as a sexy looking vampire. Speaking of which, did anyone read that article in the Star about people who like to drink blood? Yikes.

I'm gonna take candy for my class tomorrow though I wonder if I'm spoiling them because I already gave them goodies on Eid (and on two other days that I don't think had any real significance 'cept I was in a really good mood).

Are you dressing up to go out or to stay in hand out candy, or are you just a lump and not dressing up at all?

21 Comments:

  • At 7:18 p.m., Blogger mezba said…

    I am the Halloween Grinch :-P

     
  • At 7:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are you going to dress up at school as well? That's so funny/cute! And by the way I never see your avatar?! By brother and sister dress up...I just stay home and hand out candies and I have 2 midterms the next day....so in 4 words...sucks to be me! ;)

     
  • At 9:20 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    I just noticed my weatherwoman has a little pumpkin awww!

    Mezba: Well at least that's something :S

    Faiza: What! You never saw her! She's the best part of my blog lol. Hmm what do you see under my profile pic then? There should be my picture, then her picture as me, then my map.

    (Good luck on your midterms!)

    Anonymous: Sorry that was inappropriate..

     
  • At 12:13 a.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    You still trick-or-treat? For shame! ;)

    I've never gone trick-or-treating, for religious reasons. But apparently my older brother when he was very young, put an underwear on his head on Halloween and ran around the building getting candy from our neighbours. So,umm yeah. Not my fault I have a messed up bro :D

     
  • At 2:44 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    You have to refresh the page to see the avitar, your browser is probably casching the old one. Um... there is no halloween here, but me and my Canadian-SA friends were going to make costumes this weekend and dress up anyway, only the weather was so great that I decided to lay on the beach in Camps Bay instead. Also, tried to find a pumpkin to carve at Pick and Pay but had no luck. I think the harvest in this country is in April?

     
  • At 1:45 p.m., Blogger FU said…

    i'm dressed as a newsboy.

    but that was easy coz i had the cap already. hahaha..

    and i was originally just hiding a bad hair day.

    i'm so clever.

     
  • At 8:01 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I did refresh it but I still dont see it...all I see is your pic Liya and then under it you visitor map thingy...isnt that weird?

     
  • At 9:39 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Asmaa: That sucks, well I guess you can always go to the store and just buy candy like a regular human being although most of the fun (I think) is in dressing up. BTW I'm not a devil worshipper or anything! But yeah brothers are weird. Mine went as something with a cape. I guess cape = costume.

    Sara: But don't I refresh the page every time I type a new entry and post it? How confusing, but you would know not me! So what do I do to fix it? Just press refresh? And what's this about you laying on the beach? That is so totally not fair. I was so cold yesterday I had to wear gloves :(

    Fu: You remind me of this other guy I know who thinks wearing a hat = a costume.. ahem.. V.

    Faiza: That IS weird because I tried refreshing it too (I thought that's what Sara meant!) but then of course I just see what I usually do. I guess that's why you never saw the sari picture!

     
  • At 10:12 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hmmm .. yes you are a girl .. but thatdoesn't mean all girls wanna be the same thing what you want to be for halloween .. not many girls like to be princesses .. i think witch and jailed inmates was the most popular costume this year.

     
  • At 7:03 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    YOU don't have to reload, the person looking at your blog has to reload your page on their computer, cause their computer casches all the stuff that hasn't changed (ex. the link to your avitar stays the same, so their computer assumes, it's the same picture. omg how do i know this, does this make me a nerd?!). On my mac its apple+f5, not sure how to do it on a pc.

     
  • At 7:20 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saw a huge, handwritten bristol board sign stuck to someone's front door last night:

    NO CANDY
    WE DO NOT
    CELEBRATE
    HALLOWEEN

     
  • At 2:04 p.m., Blogger zee said…

    u know we dont have the halloween thing here in SA, but ive always wanted to experience it - it looks like fun.

    btw, how did halloween ever come to be???

     
  • At 10:37 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Aww man! I just replied to everyone's comments and I got this: For security purposes the time limit for your online session has been exceeded and this page is no longer available.

    I refuse to type out my replies again. They were long, personal, and well long. Now I'm tired (and annoyed!)

     
  • At 5:32 a.m., Blogger zee said…

    u mean im not gonna get answer....awwww man thats just wrong!

    i demand an answer now!!!!!! :)))))

    PS: thats why i "ctrl A" and "ctrl C" my text before clicking "publish"

    its happended to me on more den one occasion:)))))

     
  • At 9:07 a.m., Blogger Bilal said…

    we dont have halloween in South Africa- send candy!

     
  • At 10:04 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    My mom went to all the post-halloween sales and bought me lots and lots and lots of reece peanut butter cups! She was gonna send them, but i told her to wait since IM GONNA BE THERE IN A FEW WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Halloween originates from a pagan festival, i think they used to dress up to scare away the evil spirits that were trying to posess them the night before the 1st, which was called Hallows Eve. Something like that.

     
  • At 1:46 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    hey 'liya im still waiting on that phone call! call me call me call me call me! :D I hope all is well my dear. your blog has a very good sense of humor, it keeps my spirits up and gives me something to do when im at school ;)

    eid mubarrak (sorry so late)

     
  • At 4:08 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've always wanted to celebrate Halloween.
    I think the sexeh vampire avatar would have suited me quite well too :p
    *vain vain vain*

    Ok I'm gonna shut up now :P

     
  • At 6:06 p.m., Blogger Solz said…

    a princess on halloween? duznt go

    shuda gone with a witch or sum evil underground character hehe
    kewl blog

     
  • At 8:37 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nabeel: I didn't say all girls want to be princesses! And I'm quite sure they'd rather be other things! I'm saying I LOVE being a princess every year. You have know me. I'm a total girl.. princess, bride, queen, fairy, etc, that's all me :D

    Sara: I'm so confused! I don't really know what you're talking about so I'm going to let you come back to Canada and explain it to me personally. How many more days?

    Umar: Uh oh, I hope nobody had any hard feelings towards that house.. while I respect people who don't want to celebrate Halloween, I also wonder what exactly they think people "celebrating" are doing that is SO bad. Candy. Dress up. Geez, at least give out candy, it's just for the kids! It might be kinder to just turn the lights off and go out, that's what my family did last year when it fell in Ramadan.. instead of the big bold statement!

    Zee: I'm only answering just for you! Nah, just pretend it's just for you, I'm trying this again lol. Well, to answer your question, I suggest you Google "Halloween history" and you'll get something much better than whatever I could have explained! Or see Sara's comment lol. But yeah Halloween's come a long way because nobody associates the candy getting with its pagan origins - only religious fanatics (like my dad!). But like I'd say, everything has its roots in paganism.. it's not considered a religious holiday like Christmas, but rather just a fun event like Boxing Day (um do South Africans have Boxing Day?)

    Bilal: Apparently candy doesn't seem to make it SA! I sent some to Sara but maybe they thought I was trying to smuggle drugs or a bomb or something because it was refused :(

    Sara: I actually had so many Reece cups because I didn't want to take anything with peanuts in it to school (because it seems like half the world suffers from peanut allergies).. so then I was thinking okay I'll save them for Sara.. and then my mom threw them out! I had like 12 saved for you!

    Nuffy: I keep meaning to call youuuu! Seriously, if I'm ending early I'll think okay, I'm going to call her today. And then I don't know what happens. If I don't call you next week just kill me. Belated eid mubarak to you too. We will meet next week, I promise!

    Fatima: I think the sexy vampire costume would suit you well too. Better than me! It kinda scares me though :S lol

    Solz: Thanks! Well I'm more into the dressing up to look pretty than the dressing up to look evil, so I'm quite happy as a princess :)

     
  • At 11:43 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Aww, that sounds cute! The cutest costume I saw was one little boy dressed as a sheep - it was the sweetest thing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home