To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Monday, October 16, 2006

MLA Madness

"MLA. It's not just style guide. It's a way of life." --Ms. C (that's me!)

I spent the whole period talking about the MLA style for essay writing/citations and the next thing I knew the bell had rung and an hour and twenty minutes had flown by. It had been a fascinating discussion. And I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. It really was fascinating!

I've never lectured for a whole period before but it was a lot much fun. I don't know if it's because I've always had this really weird obsession of always making sure that my own essays were MLA perfect but for some reason I just got really excited. And the kids got excited too. Sometimes I worry that they get too excited. Anyways, if you don't think you could possibly get excited over essay writing and where to put those quotation marks, you need to come to my class...

...don't let my quote scare you. I have candy :D

18 Comments:

  • At 7:10 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    can u write about something other than school? seriously its gettin borin..

     
  • At 1:23 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i like your school stories!

    its makes me proud to know there is such an amazing teacher out there!

    anonymous... u go away!!! :)

     
  • At 1:23 p.m., Blogger FU said…

    i like your school stories!

    its makes me proud to know there is such an amazing teacher out there!

    anonymous... u go away!!! :)

     
  • At 1:23 p.m., Blogger FU said…

    what happened?? why am i anonymous?!

    blogger is WEEEIRD

     
  • At 1:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    u keep writing don't listen to what silly ppl say :)

     
  • At 4:39 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yeah they suck and you rock! mwah.

     
  • At 5:14 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Anonymous: Humph! I bet you're an MLA hater. Now I'll write about school even more so hah!

    Fu: Thanks! Yay! Let's gang up on Anonymous until he/she reveals his/herself.

    Aman: Anette said the birthday card you sent her reminded her of us.. you being the fast one and me the slower one.. *sigh* I'll keep writing.

    Fatima: :D

     
  • At 8:25 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey liya u havent added me to your msn yet...;(

     
  • At 12:42 a.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    OMG MLA is the devil.

     
  • At 12:43 a.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    Since I posted my last comment, I've done some soul-searching and have come to realize that MLA is not the devil. But anything that reminds me of the English essay I just handed in...*shudders*

     
  • At 10:12 a.m., Blogger Z said…

    ha! please i have enough hassles with the SAJHR style!

    http://www.law.wits.ac.za/sajhr/housestyle.html

    but i reckon its indication of how much you love ur job that u can get so excited about this
    very comforting :)

     
  • At 10:45 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have interesting school stories... you make teaching sound fun. :)

     
  • At 5:26 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Faiza: You're supposed to add me, I don't know your email address! My email is myfirstname _ my lastname@hotmail.com

    Asmaa: Wow it only took you one minute of soul-searching to change your mind lol.

    Z: I've never heard of SAJHR style. It must be something foreign and African :D Just kidding, but how many styles are there out there?

    Nauman: It IS fun! I never thought I'd love my first teaching job so much.

     
  • At 4:18 a.m., Blogger Z said…

    :-) South African Journal of Human Rights - one of the journals in which you can find commentary on various legal issues,cases etc

     
  • At 4:26 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :)

    Uh ... huh ... haha
    I'm going to have to sit in one of these classes just to understand the excitement over MLA .... :P

    Anyhooz, hope you're well insha'Allah. Remember me in your du'as during the last few days of Ramadan :(

     
  • At 5:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey liya
    I did add u a few days ago...but it doesnt say u have accepted the invite yet... :(
    I'll try again tho...and I have never used MLA, Profs usually tell us to use APA style for most of our esssays :)

     
  • At 12:47 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Z: Like I said, some foreign African thing :D Hehe. Hmm, are you studying law?

    Squeeky: Please remember me in yours too :)

    Faiza: My sister has to use APA too. You guys suck! Anyways I thought you had added me because I accepted someone new but now I wonder who that could be?! I come on at crazy times. Like now :S

     
  • At 4:01 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    I didn't know your msn changed?! Add me please! I was always an APA girl in university cause I was in Psychology, but I always enjoyed using MLA in my Visual Arts classes cause of the footnotes!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home