To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Ms. Technologically Savvy

Okay so it's still in the beginning stages but I'm feeling proud of the class website [link has been removed for security purposes] I created for my students. I've never been in a class where a teacher created a class website - university professors don't count - so this is a little new to me. Creating the site was free and most teachers have one these days so I thought why not? I'm basically going to use it as a reminder for students, to help them review information taught in class that day, and to update them on what's to come in the future.

I don't know how many of my students will actually check it out (religiously each night before they go to bed as I hope!) but even if it just helps just one of them in any way that's good enough for me. Now to just remember to update it everyday...

Any tips? I'll change the colour scheme and silly icons when I figure out how. For now I'll just stick with feeling good for getting this far. I like what I've accomplished and want to show it off! Who would have thought that me, the girl that didn't know what PC stood for until yesterday, not only has a blog, but this as well (to help, that's HELP students!).

It's one of my students who told me what PC stood for. Really, I learn so much from them. I didn't even know I owned one :D

17 Comments:

  • At 12:51 a.m., Blogger FU said…

    u gave away which school u teach at...

     
  • At 4:51 a.m., Blogger Muhammad said…

    slms! Decent enough site good job :) If you need any help , letme know I'm sure I can assist in some way.

    Wasalaam.

    M.

     
  • At 5:08 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    liya! we need to talk

    meet me on yahoo messenger : my id is sugarsweetheaven

    and my email address is : sugarsweetheaven@yahoo.co.uk

    slaams

    fida

     
  • At 9:37 a.m., Blogger Bilal said…

    well done- nice site:)

     
  • At 2:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nice site, never thought u would get that far (lol)....but you just gave away that whole anonymous thing...

     
  • At 3:16 p.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    my sister is a teacher, and she keeps one too. i think its a great idea.

     
  • At 5:39 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Fu: I know, but I really wanted to show the site off and I didn't know how else to do it. I guess I could have deleted that part and then put it in later :S

    Muhammed: I nned help! I'll ask you when the questions start popping up :)

    Fida: Ok! Are you going to help me too just like Muhammed? The more help the better :D

    Bilal: Thank you! It's not done yet, more to come :)

    Aman: Humph! I can do anything if I really try! Yeah I know I gave it away but because I didn't put the address on my blog it's not like you can really tie the two together right? Anyways my name just automatically became the title and I don't know how to change that :S I think that's how it is with all. Call me!

    Becky: Your sister has the right idea! I noticed that tons of schools in the States us the same program. I just clicked on the little apple in the corner that says Teacherweb and then Find A Teacher and it's like everywhere! Now I wonder why none of my teachers used it. Hmm.

     
  • At 10:13 p.m., Blogger Ek Umeed said…

    Oh, my, I missed two of your great previous postings. So, I will just type my comments for them on this section as well. The one teacher that I really remember and appreciate from elementary school is Mrs. Wells. I don't know what happened to her, but I really liked her for her teaching style and leniency. The two teachers in high school that I really adored were Mrs. Tesauro and Mrs. Shrader. They were just awesome because they were really passionante about their subjects and knew how to reel in students' interest in the subject.

    As far as your clumsiness is concerned, I am clumsy too. However, I have improved quite a bit. But still, when I am clumsy, I am the epitome of clumsiness! Unlike you, however, I do not burn myself but either fall down hard on the ground or run into walls. On the occassions that the latter occurs, I am most of the times looking the other way and then, "Bam. Wall." I know; I know. Stupid! And I believe you mentioned getting ink on your clothes. Well, you just reminded me of my sister in her high school years. I cannot recall any one of her high school shirts or pants that did not carry the marks of ink or permanent markers or paint. It was pretty funny at the time and, well, still is. Ah, trips down memory lane are almost always heartening. (Sighs.)

    Hmm, your anonymity is gone, Liya. But yes, I think the website is nice. Liya, most students are not going to be checking the site as regularly as you hope. But once in a while, they might drop by if they do not want to refer to their syllabus or notes. And yes, an accomplishment for you indeed, "Ms. Technologically Savvy" Teacher! ;)

    Take care, Liya. :) Oh, and I am beginning to believe you are human. (Marvels.) ;) (Laughs.)

     
  • At 11:56 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This post just shows how much things change in two years. You are only 2 years older than me (I think), we went to the same highschool and you never had a class website! I remember I had so many class websites but they started when I was in grade 11...so probably when u left. :) My younger siblings have class websites for all of their classes as well. Your site looks very professional...good job! ;)

     
  • At 12:12 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Ek Umeed: Thanks for your kind comments! Actually you made me realize I didn't even put the syllabus up - I should do that :) Of course I'll have to call it the Course Outline. I just asked my high school sister right now if putting up the syllabus would be useful - her reply - "what's a syllabus?" :S

    "Bam. Wall" reminded me of a time I walked into a sign outside. My glasses feel off my face and broke, I fell down flat onto my back, and I had a crowd of people gather around me. I ended up with a scar under my eyebrow which is not there anymore but took a long time to go away! That just makes me think of how much even longer it'll take my burns to go away!! *Sigh*

    Faiza: I thought I was only 1 year older than you. Now I feel even older lol. Add me to your msn! My email is my first name_ mylastname@ hotmail.com

     
  • At 4:34 p.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:47 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Asmaa: Sorry I had to delete your comment because you said the school's name.. but yes that's where I teach. Why is that interesting?! Do you have some juicy info? Tell me!

     
  • At 10:31 p.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    But the school name is on the website :( hehe I live really near that school, and yes, some of my good friends went there and have juicy stories...but none that are appropriate for a...umm blog. ;)

     
  • At 10:24 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Asmaa: All this time I just assumed you lived downtown, I didn't know you were close to that school. Well I simply must know these stories! Please add me to your msn/email me to share them with me :D

     
  • At 3:05 p.m., Blogger zee said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:25 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Zee: You give some really good suggestions, thanks! Unfortunately I did have to delete your comment because you mentioned my lastname but thank you for taking the time to actually think about ways I could improve the site!

    I'm not sure how I'd be able to really monitor students accessing it because I don't think I could figure out how to do that - or maybe that would be too much work for me? I DO love the idea of the self help section where students can post questions for me to answer. Puzzles, cartoons, and comics sound good too - that's somethng easy I can do lol. Muhammed must be very talented, I shall go to him for advice soon :D

     
  • At 2:49 a.m., Blogger zee said…

    lol, no hard feelings liya...I just thought it was common knowledge seeing that u were willin to show it to us:)))

    sowwy, my mistake...have a splendid day!

    cya!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home