Teaching: the GOOD vs. the BAD
The GOOD:
- My class is really great. And I mean really great. I'm not teaching the IB, gifted, or even academic level kids, but the ones that I'm teaching are interesting, they keep me awake, and they have me laughing with their stories everyday.
- The supply-teaching is really fun. I haven't had any problems like I thought I would and on Friday I actually had a student come up to me in the hall and ask me if I could come supply their class again because I was 'nice' (of course I really didn't remember who she was but it made me feel good). On the same note, a student offered me a free cookie (remember those yummy big cookies the Business class sells?) because she said I was 'fun' when I supplied her class. I did have to decline the cookie because I was fasting but again, another comment that made me think okay 'liya you're doing the right thing. I feel like I know almost the whole school now because of all the supply work I've done.
- When I was teaching my class a student from the yearbook class came and asked if she could take my picture for the fashion page because she liked my shirt! Aww! Again another make 'liya smile comment :D
- My first paycheque put a happy smile on my face that hasn't left yet. Although it's going to get higher soon, I'm still excited over the fact that now I'm being paid real money.
- I love being able to drive again. My dad's car now belongs to me once again and it's like old friends being reunited. I don't know how I managed the last three years without my car. I hope I never have to give up the car again. EVER.
- I like the respect I get as a teacher. As a student teacher I didn't have students hanging on to my every word. The change is cool :D
- I come home and I'm not burnt out. I'm actually energized and ready to go. Only where? I do all my planning during my prep period and I have most of my units already planned in much detail with the fabulous Curriculum Planner program. I seriously want to marry that planner. I love how it organizes everything into neat little boxes for you. I suppose I could always marry like a human being or something. But he's busy.
The BAD:
- Waking up at 6:45a.m everyday after years 4 years of waking up for late university courses is a hard adjustment. And I'm not even including the waking up at 5:30a.m. for fasting. The problem is, I'm always a little "late." Not as in late for class, but late as in I feel very rushed in the mornings because I give myself no time to set up anything in class. I basically do all the setting up during D.E.A.R which I've estblished as a routine for them - which does work out kinda nicely..
- I burned my hand on an iron (not at home, at school!) I now have a nasty looking burn mark. This totally ruins the appearence of my hand and everytime I look at it I feel intensely sick. I absolutely hate scars. I wish I wasn't so clumsy. Who walks into a burning hot iron (on an ironing board) except me?
- I got pen on one of my favourite sweaters. I have a stupid habit of walking everywhere with a pen in my hand which I sometimes forget to close. Now I have to get it dry-cleaned. You'd think I would have learned from the permanent marker incident in the summer (those capris will never be the same) but with older kids you use pen and apparently at some point I used it on myself. Not myself, my very expensive Bebe sweater that V bought me for my last birthday.
- I've only had to send two students down to the office so far. One from my class, and one from a class I was supplying for. I did feel very guilty for doing so, but they had it coming. I can't be nice all the time!
Conclusion: The GOOD seems to outweigh the BAD so I suppose I'll stick with teaching... I knew I made the right decision :D Any advice from my readers for a teacher who has now officially been teaching for only a little more than a month? I guess I better not get ahead of myself. My head is feeling kinda big :S
21 Comments:
At 5:42 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
It's great that you're enjoying your job but now find a useful way to use your time outside of work... shopping doesn't qualify necessarily as a useful way to use that time. :)
At 9:16 p.m.,
nat said…
helloooooooo 'liya! thanks for stopping by my blog and checking out my red shiny shoes :D. Are you teaching basic level kids? Those kids are the sweetest :D I find that they become more attached to the teachers than normal students do, I saw a few I was t.a-ing and they were all telling me that i should not volunteer with special needs and that i should be volunteering with them! lol. Anyway my dear, im sending you an email with my cell phone number. So now Mondays and Thursdays are good for me. and I believe you said you were doing some extra ciricular stuff on fridays. So just gimme a call whenever!
At 11:11 p.m.,
'liya said…
Nauman: I don't use my time shopping? Maybe you heard wrong since you never seem to be listening to me! I said I go to the mall to walk around and get excersize before I go home to break my fast. It's on my way and there isn't any way I can get anything done at home with all the great smelling food my mom has cooking. After Ramadan my daily plan will change InshAllah. Actually if you let me get a word into our conversation once in a while I'd be able to tell you what that plan is (hint: it's a money making plan - isn't it always!).
Nuffy: Somewhere in-between. It's college level English so it's for all those that couldn't get into the university level, those that might not do any postsecondary education after high school and for those that maybe just maybe will end up at a college. Some of the kids are ESL some have specific IEP's. They're great kids though and I really love what I'm doing. You're right, these are the kids that do get more attached to teachers. They really like to talk to you.
I got your email and shall call you soon! Probably on a Monday :)
At 11:23 p.m.,
'liya said…
UPDATE: At the time I wrote this post I only had a small minor burn on my hand from the iron at school. WHEN I WRITE THIS NOW I HAVE A SUPER HUGE BURN FROM THE OVEN on the same hand!! Argh! it hurt so much I couldn't go to mosque for taraweeh :S My mom said this is good because it teaches me to not stick my hand in the oven to test things. I only wanted to see if the lasagna was done!
My hand is sooo ugly now. I really don't know what to do. I think I need to invest in some pretty gloves I can wear all the time to cover this up.
At 12:00 a.m.,
FU said…
i'm so glad u have found ur calling liya.. i'm still bumbling through my day job.. hoping and praying my big break will come...
dont worry about the burn.. just put tonnes of polysporin on it.
At 1:35 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
do u slap the students or punich them (kneeling down .. hands up and stand) if they mis behave?
At 5:08 a.m.,
sara said…
Liya take a picture! I still have a scar on my hand from the burn I got 3 years ago.
At 9:18 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
why did u not have a car for 3 yrs?
use lavender oil and a aloe gel for the scar.
and next time u burn ur hand put lavender oil on it immediately!
- from someone that's always burning a body part :P
At 11:24 a.m.,
'liya said…
Fu: Your big break will come, don't worry, just keep trying and one day I'll be sitting in the theatre munching on my popcorn and I'll see you up on the screen. Then I'll stand up and shout "I know him!!" Well I probably won't do that but still!
I have some polysporin on right now. I'm like alternating burn medications till I find the one that removes the scars. I hate my hand :(
Nabeel: Um I don't know where you went to school but you can't do that in public high schools in Canada lol. If someone is being rude, you simply send them down to the office where they have to deal with the VPs. The great thing is that every room has a phone so I just dial the ext # and then send them to wherever I need to. A lovely system :)
Sara: I will NOT take a picture! DO you know how sad it makes me to look at my hand!! I now have 3 horrible marks that make my hand look like it got beat up really badly. Although I must say, each burn is a little unique.. one is gray and like seared into my skin like a tattoo, one is brown and looks like your typical burn, and one is red bloody and peeling. *sigh* maybe I will take a picture :S
Fatima: Well technically I did have a car but I wasn't allowed to drive it. At the end of my first year of uni I got into a really bad accident (really really bad) and my parents were scared to let me drive. And my insurance was too high. Now things are normal again. It's actually nice to be back in this same car I crashed. This is same car I drove in high school.
I didn't know about lavender oil, I'll have to buy some. I hope it removes scars.
At 1:30 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
hey liya
vitamin E does wonders on healing scars as well. But you have to buy the Johnson and Johnson one for burn marks (it works the best)!!! Last November, I dropped warm wax on my hand and burnt it really bad, like a straight line right across the lower portion of my knuckles. Now, there is only a small circle left in the middle. Its almost been a year but its healing :) I thought my hand was ruined too, and my mom got really mad at me for warming the wax in the first place by myself, but now the scar is like my identity (lol)...feel better!
At 6:50 a.m.,
Saaleha Idrees Bamjee said…
i burned my finger last week when the hair iron clamped on it. It's not a huge wound, but totally ouch.
Now when i crook my finger, it looks like a camel's head because the scar kinda resembles an eye. Ok, really weird image, i was going to blog it, but didnt want to attract that kind of readership:)
At 10:18 a.m.,
mezba said…
Instant relief for burn: egg!
I once (as a kid) ran against a just parked motorcycle and the cylinder was HOT (this was late 80s and the motorcycle had their hot cylinders on the outside). Immediately my dad took me to the nearest restaurant (happened to be a Bengali one and my dad seemed to know every Bengali establishment in our city) and they put an egg - just a raw egg - on the burn and massaged it all over. It stung and then was quite soothing.
At 9:27 p.m.,
'liya said…
Faiza: I don't want my scar to become my identity! The problem with the most recent burn is that it's like really really dark. It looks like someone took a silver marker and made a thick line. I wonder if part of the oven got imprinted onto my hand.. I mean it even has a sligh shimmer :S Vitamen E will probably help the other burn (which is actually two marks) but I don't know if it'll help this one.
Saaleha: lol.. well you make your burn sound more interesting than mine. Mine don't really look like anything specific. The first burn is a curved line and a huge round circle and the second one is a big thick line straight in the middle of my finger. Actually I guess they could represent some sort of tribal markings :D
Mezba: I didn't know that about egg. Well I've tried a whole bunch of things for relief. The one thing that didn't work was honey. I don't know, I kept licking it.. I know I'm weird. Anyways, I don't need relief anymore, I need scar removal! I do NOT want to see these markings everyday for a year!
At 11:31 p.m.,
Umar said…
hey, maybe with the new beta version of blogger you can set privacy levels for your posts?
i havent signed up for it yet, so i dunno exactly what they mean by the privacy thing.
At 8:31 a.m.,
zee said…
hello:)
whats supply teaching?
scars? vitaming e oil....ok i sound like such a woman right now:)
At 10:02 a.m.,
Becky L said…
so sad about the scars! Just a few weeks ago, i burnt myself on an iron too. The scar went away though... So have hope that it might heal!
if you could find cute little gloves, that might work too. hmm.
its so exciting to hear that you are getting along so well with the students. i loved being able to bond with them in a real way, which is why i liked older students better than the young elementary age. I felt like i was imparting a more profound and lasting impression on their lives.
good luck with things as it continues!
At 4:46 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
maybe ur getting the burns because u acquired a big head? Ever think of it that way? (dont mean to be nasty)
At 5:47 p.m.,
'liya said…
Umar: I haven't signed up either and I've noticed it for quite awhile now. I'm just being lazy I really should check it out you're right it might help (I never thought of that).
Zee: Oops.. I just assumed you were female because my sister goes by the same nickname :) Supply teaching is substitute teaching, just the word that's used more often here. The proper name is actually OT (occasional teacher). You know, when a teacher is away and another teacher has to come in to take over. You'd think it doesn't happen much but since the first day of school there's only been 3 days when a supply teach wasn't needed. Crazy. That's what you get when teachers are allowed 20 sick days :D
Becky: Thanks! Yes I totally agree, I have a lot more fun with older students and I have to admit one reason why I decided to teach high school was because after 4 years of university education how can you not? I know it sounds really bad but can you really "lower yourself" to the elementary level then? I can't think of a nicer way to put it :S It's good when you're young and you teach at that level because you're right you do connect better because the students are closer in age to you. I think older people (like 40 and up) are better suited for elementary kids (but that's just my thinking because that's what I've seen work best). I really don't see a younger teacher being able to connect with really young students.
Cute little gloves I shall make my mission :D
Anonymous: Interesting point you bring up. If you read my post till the end you'd see that I did write that I feel like I have a big head. I admit it openly :) I don't think the burns are because of it though.. rather they're because of my own stupidity.
At 8:17 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
ohh man oh mann .. the place i went to school at .. going to the principals office was a student's dream .. we used to get punished all sorts of way .. slapping (on the face) was common .. sometimes we used to laugh when the teacher used to hit slap us (and as a result more slaps) ..
and slapping was easy .. u should see when they used to hit us with sticks .. in cold weather ! .. and well now when i look at it .. i am a pretty straight guy .. no bad habbits .. all thanks to the teachers ! .. and well .. i recevied an award from the school for coming 1st in the class (in exams) (16 times in a row) - 4 exams each year
At 5:50 p.m.,
'liya said…
Nabeel - where did you go to school??? It can't be in North America.. right?!
At 10:46 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
i forgot to mention, for scars, vitamin e oil or tissue oil.
but for immediate burns...lavender oil works best. my sister burnt me with hot water all over my arm and then she put lavender oil on it immediately...and voila...no scarring today!
Post a Comment
<< Home