Them & Us
I just finished reading a paper that a student wrote about how her parents met, fell in love, and subsequently married. It was an interesting read and while it had nothing to do with the topic I assigned, it did get me thinking and inspired this post. Like most people, my parents met at university, however, unlike most, my parents actually saw each other a long long loooong time before that - when they were children - which really is insignificant because it had nothing to do with their actual meeting - but it's kinda cool - and, oh yeah, that first meeting, well it was in a different country.

THEM:
They met at York.
My parents came to Canada from South Africa when they were quite young. Apartheid drove both sets of grandparents and their children here around the same time. They actually had attended the same middle school in SA but didn't know each other at the time. Imagine that! Seeing a little boy or girl everyday and not knowing he or she might end up as your future spouse... what are the chances? What are the chances the you're born on the other side of the world, come to a new place, and meet someone who, just like you, was born on that side of the world too?
Well, my dad and his family moved to Brampton. He attended Brampton Centennial. My mom and her family lived in Toronto first and then moved to Mississauga. She went to Applewood - a neighbouring high school to the school I teach at now. Both of them went on to study at York. Both of them joined the MSA.
My dad fell in love with my mom before he met her. He became interested in her because she was the prettiest South African Muslim girl he had ever seen.
But they both tell different versions of the story:
My dad gives us the sad sob story - "I always saw her walking with her friends... she was so pretty... she never even looked at me, she didn't even know I existed."
My mom tells it funnier - "I didn't even know who he was! How was I supposed to know he was looking at me!"
The South African community in those days was really small and everyone knew everybody else so to my dad's luck, when he mentioned her to his parents, they knew who she was right away and loved his choice.
My mom had a harder time, and this is where it gets good because the best part of this story is that my grandma (my mom's mom), didn't even LIKE my dad at first. Two reasons which she won't admit now: 1 - because she thought my dad was on drugs (his eyes were always red - but that was because he used to play soccer day and night) and 2 - because she thought he was Tablighi Jamaat... in other words, somewhat of an extremist. Both reasons pretty much refute themselves because my grandma thinks everyone is on drugs and she also thinks everyone is an extremist.
And so they got to know each other, fell in love (which according to my dad was a long drawn out process because my mom went back to SA for a vacation and also went for Hajj with her family while my dad was left pining after her), and the rest is history.
You've really got to feel sorry for my dad, my story doesn't do his tale of the events justice. When he tells us the story he reeaalllly emphasizes the fact that my mom would walk past him at school and never glance his way.
When my mom tells the story you feel less sorry for him because she always mentions that the first time his family came to her house to meet, he plopped himself down in front of their TV, tuned in to soccer, and ignored her until they left. His excuse? He was shy. My mom said she kept thinking she could never marry anyone so obsessed with a sport. Well what what do you know, she married him.
Now soccer is his second wife.
After two years of blissful marriage, the next joyous event in their lives as a married couple was the birth of none other than me. And that brought all happiness to an end because I was one cranky and attention-demanding child. I hope I never have a child like me.
US:
We met at Second Cup some 6.5 years ago. Nuffy was present. I remember thinking 'why am I skipping physics?' Now I know that skipping physics is really the sensible thing to do. Dropping physics is even more sensible. Ruby says that "The best way to meet The One, the most tried and true, is through someone else" - okay, so she might be talking about hairdressers, but I never would have met V if it wasn't for Nuffy.
I don't even think we ordered anything. They were playing cards. I was sucking a red lollipop. I liked lollipops then. I still do. I didn't like coffee then and I don't now. V doesn't like it either. Maybe that's why we're together, we both don't like coffee so that's something we have in common. We also don't like tea. Other than that, we disagree on basically everything. We're pretty much a younger version of my parents except that you can substitute hockey for soccer. I give him 3 years, after that I'm betting he'll be asking to take soccer as his second wife too.
On my legs were my most absolute favourite pair of jeans. They were blue and had a slight shimmer. Ever read the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants books? Please don't laugh, I just read the 4rth one in the series last weekend (yes, I do have a life). But these were my magical jeans. Magical things happened when I wore them. Plus they made my legs feel nice and skinny. Maybe that's why things clicked. And they've been clicking ever since though I don't for the life of me know where the jeans are now. I might have given them to my sister when I went to university and decided that shimmer is too teenish.
I didn't say much. I never do. Now he says I say too much. What can I do? All I want to do is talk to him and he says he's tired of my talking.
He stole my red lollipop that day (which by the way cost $1.00), but I stole something bigger. I'm not the type to steal but really it had to be done. I stole his heart. I put it somewhere safe, far out of reach from the grubby hands of other females all wanting to get their share. But I know a good thing when I see it. And I ain't ever giving it back.
V, I love you. I really wish you'd hurry up and finish your exams because I'm dying to call you. My sympathies go out to you and anyone else who is writing exams. You see, I don't write exams anymore, I create them for others to write. I create hard ones (on purpose). Hehe.. no wonder I was an annoying child, I'm an even more annoying person now.
Anyways, I feel my dad's pain of being too shy to approach my mom. I'm more quiet like my dad and V is more outgoing like my mom. I also feel his pain of the long drawn out separation of their engagement. I don't think I even need to explain that. I think 6.5 years speaks for itself.

THEM:
They met at York.
My parents came to Canada from South Africa when they were quite young. Apartheid drove both sets of grandparents and their children here around the same time. They actually had attended the same middle school in SA but didn't know each other at the time. Imagine that! Seeing a little boy or girl everyday and not knowing he or she might end up as your future spouse... what are the chances? What are the chances the you're born on the other side of the world, come to a new place, and meet someone who, just like you, was born on that side of the world too?
Well, my dad and his family moved to Brampton. He attended Brampton Centennial. My mom and her family lived in Toronto first and then moved to Mississauga. She went to Applewood - a neighbouring high school to the school I teach at now. Both of them went on to study at York. Both of them joined the MSA.
My dad fell in love with my mom before he met her. He became interested in her because she was the prettiest South African Muslim girl he had ever seen.
But they both tell different versions of the story:
My dad gives us the sad sob story - "I always saw her walking with her friends... she was so pretty... she never even looked at me, she didn't even know I existed."
My mom tells it funnier - "I didn't even know who he was! How was I supposed to know he was looking at me!"
The South African community in those days was really small and everyone knew everybody else so to my dad's luck, when he mentioned her to his parents, they knew who she was right away and loved his choice.
My mom had a harder time, and this is where it gets good because the best part of this story is that my grandma (my mom's mom), didn't even LIKE my dad at first. Two reasons which she won't admit now: 1 - because she thought my dad was on drugs (his eyes were always red - but that was because he used to play soccer day and night) and 2 - because she thought he was Tablighi Jamaat... in other words, somewhat of an extremist. Both reasons pretty much refute themselves because my grandma thinks everyone is on drugs and she also thinks everyone is an extremist.
And so they got to know each other, fell in love (which according to my dad was a long drawn out process because my mom went back to SA for a vacation and also went for Hajj with her family while my dad was left pining after her), and the rest is history.
You've really got to feel sorry for my dad, my story doesn't do his tale of the events justice. When he tells us the story he reeaalllly emphasizes the fact that my mom would walk past him at school and never glance his way.
When my mom tells the story you feel less sorry for him because she always mentions that the first time his family came to her house to meet, he plopped himself down in front of their TV, tuned in to soccer, and ignored her until they left. His excuse? He was shy. My mom said she kept thinking she could never marry anyone so obsessed with a sport. Well what what do you know, she married him.
Now soccer is his second wife.
After two years of blissful marriage, the next joyous event in their lives as a married couple was the birth of none other than me. And that brought all happiness to an end because I was one cranky and attention-demanding child. I hope I never have a child like me.
US:
We met at Second Cup some 6.5 years ago. Nuffy was present. I remember thinking 'why am I skipping physics?' Now I know that skipping physics is really the sensible thing to do. Dropping physics is even more sensible. Ruby says that "The best way to meet The One, the most tried and true, is through someone else" - okay, so she might be talking about hairdressers, but I never would have met V if it wasn't for Nuffy.
I don't even think we ordered anything. They were playing cards. I was sucking a red lollipop. I liked lollipops then. I still do. I didn't like coffee then and I don't now. V doesn't like it either. Maybe that's why we're together, we both don't like coffee so that's something we have in common. We also don't like tea. Other than that, we disagree on basically everything. We're pretty much a younger version of my parents except that you can substitute hockey for soccer. I give him 3 years, after that I'm betting he'll be asking to take soccer as his second wife too.
On my legs were my most absolute favourite pair of jeans. They were blue and had a slight shimmer. Ever read the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants books? Please don't laugh, I just read the 4rth one in the series last weekend (yes, I do have a life). But these were my magical jeans. Magical things happened when I wore them. Plus they made my legs feel nice and skinny. Maybe that's why things clicked. And they've been clicking ever since though I don't for the life of me know where the jeans are now. I might have given them to my sister when I went to university and decided that shimmer is too teenish.
I didn't say much. I never do. Now he says I say too much. What can I do? All I want to do is talk to him and he says he's tired of my talking.
He stole my red lollipop that day (which by the way cost $1.00), but I stole something bigger. I'm not the type to steal but really it had to be done. I stole his heart. I put it somewhere safe, far out of reach from the grubby hands of other females all wanting to get their share. But I know a good thing when I see it. And I ain't ever giving it back.
V, I love you. I really wish you'd hurry up and finish your exams because I'm dying to call you. My sympathies go out to you and anyone else who is writing exams. You see, I don't write exams anymore, I create them for others to write. I create hard ones (on purpose). Hehe.. no wonder I was an annoying child, I'm an even more annoying person now.
Anyways, I feel my dad's pain of being too shy to approach my mom. I'm more quiet like my dad and V is more outgoing like my mom. I also feel his pain of the long drawn out separation of their engagement. I don't think I even need to explain that. I think 6.5 years speaks for itself.
**
Inshallah, when we get married, we have what my parents have and I hope that God continues to bless us with happiness just as He does them.
33 Comments:
At 1:54 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
What a wonderful post that put me back down memory lane... I remember that day so clearly, you looked wonderful while you were wearing your jean jacket with your Angel necklace. I dont remember so much your jeans, maybe its because u were sitting. I did not steal your lolipop it was offered to me! But then again I dont expect you to remember since it was *****7.5**** years ago not 6.5. Sighhhhhhh when will you learn love....
At 9:18 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
awwwww......what a sweet post :)
Didn't you meet him when we were in grade 11? Do you remember when you made the ultimate decision? I still remember all the whining and crying about how long it had been since you saw v. And the time your mom saw you guys at the library... that was funny :)
At 9:56 a.m.,
Ahmed said…
Two really nice stories. InshaAllah you do have many many years of happiness together.
At 10:29 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
omg...this post gave me tingles. Your love story is so sweet. But tell us more!!!! What happened after u first met? Did he ask u out? Did ur parents know etc? Liya...u cant do this to ur readers!!!! lol...plus ur mom is a beautiful bride.. her nose and lips look like u...lol...sounds strange I know, but that's me!!! P.s.> I have an exam in 1 hr and 30mins...and look what I'm doing. lol
At 10:50 a.m.,
Sarah said…
Your parents' story is so cute... and it's pretty crazy that yours is so similar. Isn't it funny how you remember that day differently than he does? Good luck with the wedding and may Allah (SWT) bless you both with all the happiness and love in the world. Ameen!
At 11:17 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
All the best in your marriage and I hope you are blessed with all the happiness of this world and the next. But realize that these days of innocence will come to and end and with age you will see that this type of illicit relationship which goes ageist the orders of Allah brings nothing but regret and sorrow in the end. When you have children is when you will come to the awaking that there is no obedience in the disobedience of Allah and that the ends never justify the means. That one day you will have to stand before your maker and give an account for every second of the life and on that day man will be an enemy of himself. That no husband or wife or "girlfriend" will be of any use, it will be just you, your creator and the deeds that you have brought before him.
At 12:44 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
That was such a sweet post liya! Your parents story is so cute! Your mom was a beautiful bride and I have no doubt you will be too. I hope you and V share nothing but love, happiness, and the best of blessings everyday for the rest of your lives.
At 12:46 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Oh and for the mention in your post...
I HAVE ARRIVED! YEAH!
Ok. That was all.
At 1:15 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Aw that was so CUTE and SWEET and I'm feeling so mushy right now.
Your parents sound too awesome.
And being the curious creature that I am, I'm wondering what SA school that was!
(So typical of me)
I like the story of how you and V met.
I had pants just like that! The shimmer jeans! It worked wonders....but it stretched so much after the millions of washes that my sister started using it in her first few months of pregnancy. Lol.
But I have a replacement for those pants :)
I'm still feeling all mushy ;)
At 1:51 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
anonymous, are you the same anonymous who keeps on coming back with the negative comments????? Keeps your opinions/beliefs to yourself cuz no one is interested in them..liya is a wonderful person and has not done anything that she might have to regret! You must have a very sad life and that's why you insist on ruining others' happiness.
Liya, don't worry about what silly ppl have to say, you and V will have an amazing life together, just like your parents (until a kid like you comes along lol)
At 5:10 p.m.,
'liya said…
Agent: Hey! Aren't you supposed to be studying?! Well you BEST remember how I looked since I remember exactly how you did! That jean jacket I gave to Z a long time ago and that Angel necklace, I still have, but it's broken!
And are you sure it's 7.5? Fine! This is why I'm an English teacher and I leave the maths/sciences to you. Yuck, 7.5 makes me feel old :(
Aman: LOL yeah my mom was actually talking about that the other day! Was it grade 11? I trust you know! You know how bad my memory is :D I've been telling my students grade 11 but I thought it was grade 12?
Ahmed: Thank you, I hope so too :)
Faiza: Her nose and lips look like me? You must be blind! My nose stands along lol. Let's just say it's very unusual! My mom has normal features and so does my dad so I must have inherited my nose from a crazy ancestor.
Good luck on your exam!
Sarah: Thank you so much for the sweet comment and welcome to my blog :) It is funny how we remember differently. I think I might have been more focused on skipping physics lol.
Anonymous: Thank you for informing me about this "illicit relationship" you have convinced yourself that I have. I'm aware of what is to happen on the Day of Judgement and I hope that God forgives me if I've done anything wrong in my life. I also sincerely hope that YOU look at yourself before YOU give others advice and that YOU pray for forgiveness as well because like YOU said, it is just YOU and the Creator and YOU as well will have nobody to help YOU. I hope I emphasized YOU enough because YOU need to help yourself before you can help others. Yeesh.
Ruby: Hehe, yes you have arrived, thank you for gracing us with your lovely arrival! I just had to quote you on that One! Thanks :)
Fatima: I think I've been having too many mushy posts lately lol.
I'll email you to tell you the name of the school - there was only one though right? The one where all the brown people were sent! And you know what, my shimmer jeans did stretch out too but only because as the years went on (I wore them all throughout high school), I guess my bum/thighs kept expanding :S I need a replacement.
Aman: I definitely don't regret anything in my life - well maybe I could have been a little nicer to my sisters growing up (and now lol) but that's it.
The sad thing about this anonymous person (who seems to have created some kinda 'illicit love story' about me) is that her comments leave a very negative portrayal of Islam and God in general. I hope that anyone who isn't Muslim and reads the comments she leaves, doesn't get the wrong idea about the religion. If I wasn't Muslim and I read that comment I'd for sure be very turned off - I'm very wary of people who preach (anonymously) but are not very good people to begin with. That's all.
Call me, I miss you :)
At 5:58 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
that is (well....both stories are, really) an awesome story. tingles and butterflies and heebie-jeebies all rolled into one!
exams are the worst times, so pray for ALL the poor saps out there (including your guy) that they do well!
on another unrelated note, prayers for the VT people affected... aren't you lucky you teach in canada?!
At 7:16 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
a bit excessive aren't we? (this is directed to the first anony comment) .. what do u want her to do ? leave the man she adores? if u met a man u thouht was your perfect match what would u do? jus out of curiousty...
At 7:20 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
whoops.. how do i delete/add to the previous comment?
add this too: i find myself in a similar sit. as liya and i'm jus curious as to how u met your partner. cause u do know that people meet people in different ways? i assume you'd know that.. so what makes one way better than the others? i'm sorry, i think u jus need to be a bit more open minded there
At 7:48 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Awww...its such a pretty story to tell your children and grandchildren someday...well i couldn't be more happier for you liya....i wish my own love story would soon come into my life....your on the lookout for me right?!...lol....how sweet that you guys remember the little details of the first meeting....liya i so have to come to your wedding....my hot nerd in crime is all grown up and i def deserve to see her on her most beautiful and happiest day!....at least you've given me some hope for finding my own "v"...
At 8:01 p.m.,
'liya said…
Isheeta: Thanks for stopping by, I've read your writing before via Mezba's so maybe now I'll stop being lazy and leave a comment :)
I do feel very lucky to be teaching in the school that I do, but it's something we still need to be careful about here. Just last week we had a practise lockdown drill and while the students were annoyed that they had to get down on the floor, when I heard about this recent tragedy, I just couldn't help thinking we need to have a lot more of those drills. The high school that I mention my dad went to was actually the one where there was a shooting .. way back when he was there... scary stuff :(
Anonymous: "what do u want her to do ? leave the man she adores?" good question :) I would never leave him though.. we're planning to get married - as soon as he's done those annoying exams! Tell me more about your situation? Mine is that we want to finish school and be stable working/financially before we get married. I've done my part lol.
Samia: I definitely expect to see my hot nerd in crime on that day :D And I totally think that you'll meet a hot nerd of the male kind on your trip to Miami soon (how many days counting down now?) So, if you do meet a guy there, and let's just say you do end up marrying him one day, I can use your home as a kind of summer vacation place right? Then you'd be my hot nerd in crime living in hot Miami! I'm SO jealous!
At 8:21 p.m.,
Becky L said…
my parents knew eachother when they were kids. actually, my mom was best friends w/ his brother. And at that time, she REALLY didnt like my dad; she thought he was annoying.
HaHa. They met several years later. And then they seemed to 'click.'
At 8:42 p.m.,
Recovering D said…
Aww those are such sweet stories! I hope you and V enjoy many years of marital bliss, just like your parents and that you are blessed with little ones JUST LIKE YOU GUYS. We need more people like you in the world! :)
At 11:14 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Someone said that you look like your mom and I have to say that I agree. Now I want to see how your dad looks to compare :-) Liya your mom looks beautiful and I'm sur eyou'll look just as pretty!
Good luck with the preparations... keep us up to date, I'm so excited for you!
- Bilqis
At 1:03 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Hey Aaliya...I've often stopped by and read your blog but I haven't commented but today I feel compelled to, based on the comments made by "Anonymous #1".
If we as humans were made to pass judgement, we'd be on the same level as God, and Astaghfirullah, we can never be. It is He that is the Judger of mankind and should we feel the need to find fault in someone, we should always look at our character first, since none of us are perfect. There is a prophetic saying (among many) which says:
Ibn'Abbas said:
"If you wish to mention the faults of your friend, mention your own faults first." [Bukhari]
Anonymous, I would understand if you feel that you're doing service as a Muslim to remind a fellow Muslim of his/her responsibilites. But unfortunately the way they comments have come out negate any positive effects you might have been looking to get across, whatever they might be. Let me also remind you that the Prophet (SAW) himeself did not use harsh words but treated everyone with kind and gentle reminders. And he is the best example of mankind and we should follow in his footsteps.
To Anonymous, if I have said anything to offend you then please forgive me as it was not my intention to do so.
And Aaliya, sorry for rambling :) but keep up the blogging, it's an interesting read!
At 2:27 a.m.,
M&M said…
awwwwww..
ur parents story sounds like straight out of a movie, Mashallah:D its soooo cute.. and urs is just as adorable... inshallah urs will be as good as how it sounds like for ur rentz
lol.. if that can happen to the rest of us... the fairytale way ..wudnt that be nice... i m glas to read that such do exist in real life.. hope for the world:D
i love ur momz wedding pic..mashallah sooo pretty
At 9:28 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
What a beautiful post :)
It's so beautiful to be reminded of the lovely side of life :)
May Allah ta'ala bless your marriage with many many many happy years, ameen :)
At 9:30 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
ps: When you get married ofcourse ;)
At 4:13 p.m.,
Abigail S said…
I love love stories! They give me hope!
At 5:11 p.m.,
'liya said…
Becky: Hehe she thought he was annoying.. you know that's interesting because it seems that usually the people that 'annoy' us seem to be the ones we really like. V annoys me to death!
ABCDlaw: Thanks hehe "little ones" ...that's a long long way from now lol. When we do have children one day I hope that we get more little V's than 'liya's cause I really don't think I could handle a child like me. My mom is a patient woman! :D
Bilqis: Really? You think I look like her too? Most people say I look like my dad and I'd have to agree with them but I take it as a compliment if you say I look like my mom so thank you! I'll definitely keep you up to date :)
Shazia: Thanks for reading and for the detailed comment that I hope clears things up for all the anonymous lurkers who feel compelled to leave their judgements behind. I think you explained what I would have liked to say except didn't know how, in a way that makes more sense than what I could have said.
Funny you should pop up since I've kinda just discovered the really nice blog of a close friend of yours. It's a small world! And I see you've re-started yours again, I'll be by :)
M&M: I'll agree with you that my mom looks pretty hehe. About the fairytale, hmm well my parents have that interesting twist to theirs so they count, but mine is kinda boring no? That's what I thought anyway. Skipping physics? lol.
Taqdeer: Thank you! I was just about to say I'm not married yet and then I saw your second comment :)
Abigail: Yay! I was so curious about how other people/their parents met, that I gave the class the option of submitting a story to me for extra credit. You should ask that question on your blog!
At 5:58 p.m.,
AKA said…
Shazi?? I swear Liya it's like she and I communicate by telekinesis sometimes...I hadn't even had a chance to mention I'd found your blog and here she is!
What an adorable story your parents and you have been blessed to have! If I'd known that the Second Cup near our high school was good for meeting people, I'd have skipped class and gone more often lol. Mushy or not, it's nice to hear stories like this in an age where any type of love is hard to find and hold on to.
At 9:43 a.m.,
mezba said…
Your parents have a wonderful story. Very touching. Someday, when Blogger figures out how to password protect certain posts only, I will share my parents'.
At 2:36 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
hehe...which area in SA were your parents living in?
CT? JHB? DBN?
At 7:11 p.m.,
'liya said…
Aka: Maybe Shazia's presence is trying to tell you that she wants you to visit her before you head off to your sunny destination? :)
I suppose Second Cup had its value in that way lol. You know, I don't think I ever bought anything from Second Cup, maybe I should be supporting it?
Mezba: Sounds intriguing - you can't leave me hanging!! When I typed this post I was planning to ask everyone to share their parents stories, then I forgot to include that and now I wish I hadn't because I'm sure everyone has some interesting things to tell!
Fatima: I emailed you the name of the school? :S Or maybe I didn't ? I can't remember, I'll email you now. I think I start losing my mind when I read my email at work because I'm doing too many things at once.
At 2:58 a.m.,
qdee said…
i absolutely love this blog! ill visit more often :)
At 7:47 p.m.,
'liya said…
QDee: Thanks! & welcome :)
At 5:22 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
"They actually had attended the same middle school in SA but didn't know each other at the time. Imagine that! Seeing a little boy or girl everyday and not knowing he or she might end up as your future spouse... "
- i love that thought; how u could know someone, or have been around someone long long ago - without knowing them (or knowing them well), and end up that they're the person you marry.
thanx for sharing the stories. a lot of guys can relate to your dad's situation back then; and its nice to hear a story that ends the way it did :)
and as for being an annoying child (and more annoying now), well, kids learn from their parents and do tend to carry on certain characteristics.
whether its biological / genetic, or a learnt behaviour, just keep in mind that, insha-Allah, when you do have kids, they're gonna be mini versions of you and V, and if u don't like some of what's in the mirror, u gotta make the change within yourself.
may yours be as wonderful as your parents' marriage :)
At 8:25 p.m.,
'liya said…
Dreamlife: Hehe.. Neither of my parents are annoying so I must have gotten it from my grandparents!
Thanks for the comment, welcome to my blog :)
Post a Comment
<< Home