Dear Student Reporter:
While I appreciate being included in the New Teachers article in the school paper, I resent the fact that it states that I just graduated from university! The next day my students (with their new-found interest in math) had calculated my age. I guess eventually I knew they'd figure me out. I was only hoping that it wouldn't be so soon.
Well word spreads... and now with every class I walk into for supply teaching, I hear same whispering when I turn my back to the class to write on the blackboard:
"Ooooh I heard she's only 22"
"I knew she was new!"
" I wonder what she eats for breakfast?!"
Sadly enough, I'm serious about the breakfast comment.
Apparently the average age of a new teacher in Peel is 30. I read this information in the teacher's monthly newsletter with interest.
I can't picture myself at 30.
I also can't picture myself at 23.
I better start picturing myself at 23 soon enough because in two weeks I ain't gonna be 22 no more.
So I did what any normal person would do and turned around to face the class... and calmly announced that I eat children for breakfast. That should give them something interesting to write about for next time.
Well word spreads... and now with every class I walk into for supply teaching, I hear same whispering when I turn my back to the class to write on the blackboard:
"Ooooh I heard she's only 22"
"I knew she was new!"
" I wonder what she eats for breakfast?!"
Sadly enough, I'm serious about the breakfast comment.
Apparently the average age of a new teacher in Peel is 30. I read this information in the teacher's monthly newsletter with interest.
I can't picture myself at 30.
I also can't picture myself at 23.
I better start picturing myself at 23 soon enough because in two weeks I ain't gonna be 22 no more.
So I did what any normal person would do and turned around to face the class... and calmly announced that I eat children for breakfast. That should give them something interesting to write about for next time.
19 Comments:
At 11:54 a.m.,
Ahmed said…
Peel! I'm from Mississauga!
lol at the I eat children comment. What grade do you teach?
I don't suppose you teach at any of my old schools, Erindale, Erin Mills, Brookmede, or Elm Crest?
At 12:03 p.m.,
Asmaa said…
I knew you ate children! You...you...you child-eating monster!
You're 22 and teaching, yup they're now going to eat YOU.
At 5:19 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
do you have a master's degree? because shouldn't a teacher have a master's in a field of study .. perhaps you do .. just confirming.
At 5:36 p.m.,
FU said…
hahahhaah
look at u.. u child eater.
great comeback!
At 5:51 p.m.,
'liya said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At 5:53 p.m.,
'liya said…
'liya said...
Ahmed: I teach grade 11 English and no I don't teach at any of your old schools (I've haven't heard of the last one you mention)... but I can say that my school is fabulous and I love it there! Peel is the best!
Asmaa: I knowwwww... which is why I didn't want them to know my age! I swear, EVERY single class I've walked into this week I've heard comments about it. Today I was supplying a grade 12 class and some of the students were 19 and 20... there were MANY comments about my age in relation to them :S
Nabeel: In Ontario you need to have your B.Ed to be qualified to teach. In fact, I think that's how it is for all of Canada. I know the U.S has lower standards though because you don't even have to be qualified to supply/substitute teach there. To confirm, I have my B.A and B.Ed -yes, 4 years.. I did them concurrently which is what most universities offer now. I'm lucky I got into the program in my first year because it's quite competitive.. which is probably why most people are older. I'm qualified to teach English and Visual Art..
Fu: I think so too! I don't think the students got it though. Grade 9's, what do they know.
At 7:41 p.m.,
mezba said…
I found that I mentally grow in spurts. Like till I was 19 I didn't feel a day older than 16, then all of a suddent I was like hey I am 20 and life is good. Then I was 20 for another 4 years. And so on.... Right now I am 2 years younger than I am.
As a teacher you will probably find something wrong with this fault logic :-)
My youngest teacher in high school was 30 years old, and in university was 46 (I used to TA for her, that's how I know).
At 8:35 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
can you please not mention that we are gonna be 23?!?!?....well at least i get 6 extra days befo i get old...lol....though maybe u should also do tha weeklong bday celebration...it'll help...well hopefully it will help....im relyin on it....and as tha VP in ur fanclub..shouldnt i have been notified that u eat children?!..lol....
At 10:54 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
do your students hit on you?
At 11:31 p.m.,
'liya said…
Mezba: I find nothing wrong with your logic. You forget, I'm not a math teacher lol. What you say sounds perfect to these English ears. Kinda metaphorical! Hehe, I truly believe I'm still 16.
BTW How did you know the age of your high school teacher? Being 30 fits with the Peel Board's statistics at least..
Samia: Those 6 days will be over so fast you might as well celebrate your birthday on the same day as me :D and.. oh, didn't you get that memo I sent you about my eating habits? We need a better secretary around here!
Anonymous: I'm going to lie and say no.
At 2:15 a.m.,
FU said…
u know what i like?
that you respond to all your comments.
ur going to respond to this one as well. i can tell.
:)
At 2:27 a.m.,
mezba said…
We knew she was 30 as she was once telling us a story and said "when I was 10 in 19xx ..." that's how we knew...
At 12:38 p.m.,
Solz said…
hey moving from 22 to 23 aint a big thing. duz 1 day count? make u much older? i mean age is in ur mind. ur as old u want urself to b!
so wot do u have for breakfast? hehe
At 11:32 p.m.,
'liya said…
Fu: You know what I like? Your nice comment. You tell right. I like to reply!
Mezba: That makes sense.
Solz: .. maybe so, but still!
My breakfast routine changes every 6 months (I don't know why, I just get tired of the same thing but hate having different things everyday). Right now I'm into yogurt but I eat half of my lunch in the car on the way to work so you can count half a sandwich in there too!
Clairissa: Well a B.A yes. But I meant a B.Ed. For substitute teaching you don't need to have one there (one of my unqualified friends taught there for a bit).
There was a very interesting show on 20/20 (I think)awhile back that was about the standards of education in the States. Yesterday (on 20/20 I think again) there was something about how many universities don't let students in for their high grades, but rather for what they can pay.. of course that's not for high schools though (I hope! lol). I'm reading a very interesting book called The Underground History of American Education - will let you know how it turns out!
And I shall check back to your comment asap!
At 1:11 a.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
Why would they want to know what you have for breakfast ... haha silly students. I like reading your stories about your class, because the stories are so different from my class! Although, that breakfast comment sounds more suitable coming from a 4 yr old :S
I think you'll like being 23, it's a nice age :)
At 8:47 p.m.,
Becky L said…
you eat children-- thats a hilarious response.
Yeah, its weird thinking about what you'll be like in the future. I still find it hard to believe that i'm 25, married, and have a daughter [who's not a baby anymore!!!]. i wonder what life will be like when i'm 30? so odd...
At 12:32 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Lol...your students are funny. At turner, I had a chemistry teacher in grade 10, Ms. Ahmed and she was 26. My friends and I used to talk about her like your students are talking about you. lol. But, how can high school students be 19 and 20, that would mean they failed/got left behind for 2-3 years....I was in second yr Uni at 19, and 3rd at 20. And I still dont see your avatar even tho I refreshed my page...
:)
At 7:49 p.m.,
'liya said…
Squeeky: We'll see when 23 gets here :S I would hope that our students are different! .. there ARE at least 13 years between their ages ...
Clairissa: That's what the show was about - how better education is for those who can afford it rather than it being equal all around like it's assumed (and should be). Actually, if I remember correctly, some parents had to buy their way for students into some high schools in better areas because they didn't want their students to have a poorer education in a not so nice school with not so nice teachers. So I guess it's not only universities that do that.
Becky: Your comment only reminds me of my upcoming deadline of my goal of at least being engaged to be married before turning 23 :S Only 10 more days...
Faiza: I want you to see it! Kick your computer! Well I know this sounds weird but some students are university students who have come back to take other high school courses so that they can get into other university programs .. some others are yes ones that have failed and then there are othes who are new to the country and need to get their credits even if they're older than the typical high school student ... which all in some cases means I'm teaching people who at the same age of some of my own friends :S
At 3:01 p.m.,
zee said…
*gasp* 22!???? a teacher at 22...cant be!:0
Post a Comment
<< Home