Just smile and nod...
Within the first 60 seconds after the bell, when students start coming into the room in one big loud and endless stream, I get a range of greetings:
Student: Nice shirt!
Me: Thank you
Student: Did you buy it from Guess?
Me: Yes..
Student: I know, I have the same one!
Me: Oh--
"Hi Ms. --------, did you do something different to your hair?"
"Hi Ms. --------, sorry I'm late!"
"Hi Ms. --------, is something due today?"
"Hi Ms. --------, can I go to the washroom?"
"Hi Ms. --------, I left my books in my locker, can I go get them?"
"Hi Ms. --------, sorry for skipping yesterday."
"Hi Ms. --------, is it okay if I ask for an extension...?"
"Hi Ms. --------, can I get a drink?"
"Hi Ms. --------, I forgot my textbook, do you have an extra one?"
"Hi Ms. --------, I'm going to be away tomorrow, can you give me work to catch up?
"Hi Ms. --------, I just beat up my friend, can I go help him clean the blood?"
etc.
I've discovered sometimes it's good to just smile and nod, otherwise you just don't understand what the hell is happening - especially period one, when you're still half-asleep.
***
It took me an hour and a half instead of my usual 25 minutes to drive to school today because of the snow. It was a nightmare! My car skidded twice and both times I was more scared for my car's life than my own. Thank goodness I wasn't teaching first period today because I was half an hour late :S
Student: Nice shirt!
Me: Thank you
Student: Did you buy it from Guess?
Me: Yes..
Student: I know, I have the same one!
Me: Oh--
"Hi Ms. --------, did you do something different to your hair?"
"Hi Ms. --------, sorry I'm late!"
"Hi Ms. --------, is something due today?"
"Hi Ms. --------, can I go to the washroom?"
"Hi Ms. --------, I left my books in my locker, can I go get them?"
"Hi Ms. --------, sorry for skipping yesterday."
"Hi Ms. --------, is it okay if I ask for an extension...?"
"Hi Ms. --------, can I get a drink?"
"Hi Ms. --------, I forgot my textbook, do you have an extra one?"
"Hi Ms. --------, I'm going to be away tomorrow, can you give me work to catch up?
"Hi Ms. --------, I just beat up my friend, can I go help him clean the blood?"
etc.
I've discovered sometimes it's good to just smile and nod, otherwise you just don't understand what the hell is happening - especially period one, when you're still half-asleep.
***
It took me an hour and a half instead of my usual 25 minutes to drive to school today because of the snow. It was a nightmare! My car skidded twice and both times I was more scared for my car's life than my own. Thank goodness I wasn't teaching first period today because I was half an hour late :S
10 Comments:
At 1:28 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Just followed you through the comment. A teacher han? Cool. I always wanted to be a teacher. Ordering, err I mean teaching, young people is fun. For now, being a TA is close enough.
At 11:11 a.m.,
Becky L said…
"I just beat up my friend, can I go help him clean the blood?"
thats hillarious. I hope no one ever actually said that to you.
I feel your pain about driving in snow. it is really scary. We dont have any right now... but last week was awful.
At 12:12 p.m.,
Ahmed said…
I can't wait for it to be summer again.
At 1:11 p.m.,
mezba said…
My car skidded twice and both times I was more scared for my car's life than my own.
I can so relate to that. I skidded once and all I could think of please let nothing happen to my car.
At 2:50 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
hey liya
it wasnt such bad weather yesterday?! was it? I mean, it snowed a little but by the time I woke up (11am...LOVE reading break)there was nothing on the ground or nothing falling. When my family came home and said the weather sucked, I was like...umm..no it didn.t...lol...
At 5:53 p.m.,
'liya said…
Aliana: Ordering, err I mean teaching, young people is fun for sure .. hehe :D
Becky: A student did say that! It was one of my "joker" students - both him and his best friend are in my class so they're either always trying to kill each other (which I suppose happened in this situation), or they're always trying to compete with each other for marks. Sometimes I'll write a ".1" extra on one of their papers just for entertainment purposes (I don't put the .1 in the computer when I enter the marks).
Ahmed: Me too :(
Mezba: I know eh! Well seriously though, if anything happened to my car, I KNOW my parents would take it away from me again, like when I had my first accident and they took it away from me for 3 years!!! Can't let that happen again - a 23 year old teacher shouldn't be taking the bus to work or getting a ride from her parents :S
Faiza: *Sigh* but what you do know, sleeping in and everything! I saw about 5 accidents on my way to work (which only scared me more). Plus my wipers are breaking down so I had a hard time seeing. It was so bad I seriously thought school would be cancelled. But hey, your reading week ends this week... and my March break is approaching, haha just kidding, hope you had a great week :D
At 11:33 p.m.,
Abigail S said…
I know how you feel about being bombarded w/ students. It's quite confusing!
...Eek! Sounds like bad weather. Glad you got there ok!
At 3:05 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
so you bought that shirt from guess? Now I know for sure it wasn't $35.00.
your such a lier!
At 3:36 p.m.,
'liya said…
Abigail: I'm guessing you do the 'smile and nod' thing too sometimes :D
Anonymous/V: How do you know which shirt I'm talking about - I don't even give any details! The one I wore yesterday wasn't the same one! The shirt I was wearing yesterday was from Le Chateau, I'm not lying, it WAS $35!!!!
At 7:19 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
u seem like a really cool teacher...
Post a Comment
<< Home