To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Friday, December 01, 2006

The Age Factor

You know what struck me as really weird today? The student teachers who are placed at my school from different universities are all older than me... I can't help but keep coming back to this age issue because it just keeps coming up ALL THE TIME. I can't wear my heels forever! I want to go back to wearing flat shoes so that I don't have to worry about knee/back problems when I'm 40. I have a lot of cute flat shoes but when I wear them I'm just too short .. I miss wearing my running shoes everyday like I did in university. I knew I should have become a gym teacher! Now I have to accept only wearing them on Fridays... I do have to plan my Friday wardrobe better though - a student today was wearing the same Hollister shirt as the one I was wearing -and everyone made sure to point this out to me. At least they think I have style!

Anyways, my students are counting down till I get my engagement ring. They all think I lead the most fascinating life. Every Monday they demand to know what I did on the weekend. Little do they know... but we do have the most fascinating discussions about America's Next Top Model and how to skip class without getting caught. I don't know, maybe I should just embrace being young? I can't imagine having these discussions if I were an older teacher .. I really like when my class gets off topic. It's fun. Our latest novel study is going really well. Everyone is so into the book that they're all reading ahead. I feel as though I'm doing all the right things. It's because of that that I let them have fun.

I have so many teachery things to blog about but I don't know what to start with, so you tell me - do you want to hear something funny? embaressing? happy? sad? disturbing? Do you want comedy or tragedy? I'm bored! I shouldn't be. I'm happy that I FINALLY received my category rating. For the non-teachers out there it means my salary went up because my university courses were FINALLY evaluated (they weren't joking when they said 8 weeks!). I'm going to get back pay on all my previous cheques now. I can't wait to receive the next one -- Sara, you'll be home in time for shopping :D

12 Comments:

  • At 11:40 p.m., Blogger FU said…

    oh ur one of thooooose teachers...

    they get all sidetracked and spend the whole hour talking about their cat or their lunch or their nephew.

    i used to have teachers like that and we would purposely ask questions like that so we wouldn't have to lurn. and i turned out grate. :D

    i say embrace your youth. when ur old u'll have to wear flat shoes coz u'll fall and break a hip if you dont.

    hooray for back pay!

     
  • At 9:21 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    You guys are supposed to tell me what you want to read next!

    Fu: Maybe my students don't want to lurn either. But our off topic discussions always find a way back to lurning. So I have no doubt they'll turn out grate (most of them! - the others will just turn out great hehe).

    Clairissa/Fu: Thanks for having so much confidence in my old age abilities lol. Okay, I will wear the heels! Now I need to buy boots with a nice heel. Hmm I think Aldo is having a sale this weekend... I should have checked with my students, they let me in on all the good deals :S

     
  • At 10:43 a.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    funny, embarressing, happy, sad, disturbing, comedy, tragedy...

    how about something disturbing. ha, that might be fun..

     
  • At 2:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations on your category-promotion.

    Go for happy/funny posts...

     
  • At 9:00 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Becky/Nauman: You know what, I think I'm going to combine both and go for funny-disturbing. I have the perfect story. Now to type it out. But I'm lazy right now. Later!

    Nauman: Thanks, I think I told you about it before when I complained that it was taking so long - either way it's being finalized right now (it better be grr) because I got the letter! One more category to go!

     
  • At 9:11 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love teachers that get sidetracked. always have great discussions like that.

    i want to read embarrassing stories! woot!
    :P

     
  • At 9:12 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yeah! Congrats!
    Here, have some Romany Creams on me :P

     
  • At 3:18 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Fatima: You must have read my comment on Sara's blog lol. I'm absolutely DYING for some Romany Creams! When I get cravings they don't go away till satisfied :S

    Embarassing story coming up lol.

     
  • At 10:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Something funny. I think we could all use a good laugh right about now :)

     
  • At 4:50 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    Pilly, i CAN'T WAIT to go shopping! I'm so glad you like Hollister, thought it would be too surfer chic for you!!!!!!!!! Do we still have to go to Eaton Centre to shop there or have they opened up other ones?! And Aritzia, Parasuco... ohhh I just can't wait! Two more weeks left!!!! Haven't bought your cookies (they call em biscuits here :P) yet, wanna buy them fresh the day i'm leaving (yes i know they will still be months old from the factory, but still)!

     
  • At 5:44 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :)

    Aww, that's excellent, congrats!
    There's a student at the school who loves to rub it in that he's so much more taller than me :(

    But hey, we'll always look forever young insha'Allah tee hee

    PS - I'd like to hear an embarrassing story

     
  • At 8:07 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Sara: I like it a bit - I just don't like how the store smells like cologne! But nope it's only at Eaton Centre (along with that other store by the same people which also smells like cologne - can't remember the name). ... I used to call cookies biscuits when I was a kid but then one of my friend's told me that only dogs eat biscuits so I stopped :S I should have more pride in my background. Maybe the um biscuits you bring will inspire me!

    Squeeky: As long as we don't get wrinkles or anything like that! An embaressing story coming up - especially after my last post, I think we all could use a laugh lol.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home