Funny-Disturbing
For the past 2.5 months I've been teaching full time everyday (my own class plus substituting for 2 periods each day). On the fateful Friday that this little funny-disturbing (but more disturbing than funny) incident took place, I happened to have a lunch period followed by a prep period. Being the resourceful person that I like to be, I decided to make use of my now "extra long lunch" period and go out. What could go wrong? It was a beautiful day for November and I was feeling great because the classes that I had substituted that morning were two of my favourite... little did I know about the tragic events that would soon unfold.
So I'm being a little dramatic. At the time it was tragic though!
Lunch was fine.
I got back from the pathetic little place that calls itself Rockwood Mall and swung into the first available parking space I saw, with about 15 minutes to spare before my own class. As I was pulling into the space I heard a HUGE scratching sound under my car. Right away my heart skipped a beat (seriously) and I thought I would die! Like what the hell was that and whyyyyyyy?
Did I drive over some huge rock? A student? Was someone shooting at me - from under my car? Did I drive over glass that would cut my tires and leave me stranded there forever?
As you can tell I wasn't really thinking clearly.
The problem:

See it? See that little brown stump on the concrete barrier in my fabulous artistically rendered picture? Well it's some some sort of big rusted nail. Not pleasant. In my quick attempt to park I hadn't noticed it and the front of my car had gone right over the concrete, driving the nail into my car's internal organs (or whatever the under side of the car is called).
After my tense inspection I decided I better get the hell out of there and find another parking spot. But when I got back in the car and began to reverse, there was only skrrchhh. My car was dragging the ENTIRE concrete barrier with it! How embarassing!
I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. I got out of the car to assess the bottom again. Now the nail was pushed up against the bumper(?) of my car and my car had dragged the concrete barrier out of its position and halfway across the parking space. It looked ridiculous! The tears fell. All I could seriously think about was how my car would fall apart if I tried backing it up more. More tears. I began to feel dizzy. I got back in the car and shut the door. I didn't want any of the students hanging around outside to see my dreadful situation. Or see a teacher cry.
Inside the car I began to do breathing exercises. I'm serious, I was really panicking! Why?
My car would fall apart if I tried to reverse anymore... it might even explode...if I did any damage to my car my dad would take it away from me again! If he took it away I'd have to take the bus to work. Students would see me break down my own car and would think that I don't know how to drive. .. They'd be sitting beside me, their teacher on the bus! I'd get in trouble or be looked down upon by the administration who would think why did we ever hire this silly new teacher who can't even park like a human being..
I think I worked myself up to such a frenzy that if I had stayed in the car any longer I would possibly begin hyperventilating. But more likely I'd just black out for a few seconds. I felt like death!
So I did what I always do when I think I'm going to die. I prayed. Then I called my parents.
I begged them to come save me.
My dad's first response: "Did you forgot to say bismillah when you got in the car?"
My mom's first response: "Call CAA! quick call them - I'll call them for you!"
Luckily my dad was on his way to mosque and promised he would stop by the parking lot afterwards. He also had a spare key to my car. Thankfully it was a Friday! If it had been any other day he would have been at work and I'd have no hope but to pass out and die from lack of ozygen inside.
I was still scared though. And deeply embarassed. Anyone driving by would be able to see the mess I had made. The concrete barrier had been pulled so much by my car that a huge pile of leaves had gathered underneath and looked like some kind of leaf explosion. Whoever would be parking beside me would definitely notice and might even contact the authorities! Not wanting to spend the night in jail, I ran into the school looking for the VP that I knew would help me calm down. I couldn't find him! I then went to the department office and sat down at my desk realizing that my class would start in 5 minutes. I decided I couldn't go through with the fun group activity project I had planned. I just wasn't up to it. I quickly ran to photocopy some worksheets so that my students could do quiet seatwork so I could rest my poor self and gather my thoughts in an attempt to think rationally.
The end.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sitting at my desk in the classroom and all the students are working ever so quietly like little angels and then all of a sudden this LOUD voice from the back of the room breaks the silence:
"MS. C -------, someone is thiefing your car!!!!!"
24 faces look up at me.
25 bodies run to the window. I was one of them.
Obviously it was my dad, but being in the state that I was in, I couldn't even put the two together until I got to the window. I had forgotten that my entire class knows which car I drive. I had also forgotten that I had parked in plain view from my classroom window. I had also forgotten that my students in the back row love spending every single second of class time looking outside. Eek! Seeing that I wasn't panicking they then demanded explanations.
So they got explanations. I confessed to the parking problem and admitted that my daddy had to come save my day.
They laughed. They asked me why I hadn't asked a student to help me out. They asked me why I hadn't tried moving the concrete barrier myself. They asked me if I was drunk.
One student had the wonderful idea of opening the window to yell out "hi" to my dad and invite him to come into the classroom. I quickly extinguished his hope of meeting the father of poor Ms. C. We watched my dad reverse and then park my car into a new spot, then get back into his van and drive away. Of course I couldn't say anything to him in the process. Not professional! Plus he had no idea that we were all standing by the window watching.
3:15
I came home.
My dad asked me why I didn't just reverse the car. I told him I had tried but the barrier had begun dragging back with me. He told me he had just put the car in reverse and backed away. Then he began complaining that he had come all the way just to reverse my car for me - something I could have easily done on my own. Great.
My mom gave me a big lecture about panicking. She then told me she's going to start giving me more spinach to make me stonger :S
Lovely, just lovely.
I had tried reversing, it didn't work!!!!
P.S There's a tiny little dent at the bottom part of the car (not noticeable at all unless you're sleeping under the car).
So I'm being a little dramatic. At the time it was tragic though!
Lunch was fine.
I got back from the pathetic little place that calls itself Rockwood Mall and swung into the first available parking space I saw, with about 15 minutes to spare before my own class. As I was pulling into the space I heard a HUGE scratching sound under my car. Right away my heart skipped a beat (seriously) and I thought I would die! Like what the hell was that and whyyyyyyy?
Did I drive over some huge rock? A student? Was someone shooting at me - from under my car? Did I drive over glass that would cut my tires and leave me stranded there forever?
As you can tell I wasn't really thinking clearly.
The problem:

See it? See that little brown stump on the concrete barrier in my fabulous artistically rendered picture? Well it's some some sort of big rusted nail. Not pleasant. In my quick attempt to park I hadn't noticed it and the front of my car had gone right over the concrete, driving the nail into my car's internal organs (or whatever the under side of the car is called).
After my tense inspection I decided I better get the hell out of there and find another parking spot. But when I got back in the car and began to reverse, there was only skrrchhh. My car was dragging the ENTIRE concrete barrier with it! How embarassing!
I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. I got out of the car to assess the bottom again. Now the nail was pushed up against the bumper(?) of my car and my car had dragged the concrete barrier out of its position and halfway across the parking space. It looked ridiculous! The tears fell. All I could seriously think about was how my car would fall apart if I tried backing it up more. More tears. I began to feel dizzy. I got back in the car and shut the door. I didn't want any of the students hanging around outside to see my dreadful situation. Or see a teacher cry.
Inside the car I began to do breathing exercises. I'm serious, I was really panicking! Why?
My car would fall apart if I tried to reverse anymore... it might even explode...if I did any damage to my car my dad would take it away from me again! If he took it away I'd have to take the bus to work. Students would see me break down my own car and would think that I don't know how to drive. .. They'd be sitting beside me, their teacher on the bus! I'd get in trouble or be looked down upon by the administration who would think why did we ever hire this silly new teacher who can't even park like a human being..
I think I worked myself up to such a frenzy that if I had stayed in the car any longer I would possibly begin hyperventilating. But more likely I'd just black out for a few seconds. I felt like death!
So I did what I always do when I think I'm going to die. I prayed. Then I called my parents.
I begged them to come save me.
My dad's first response: "Did you forgot to say bismillah when you got in the car?"
My mom's first response: "Call CAA! quick call them - I'll call them for you!"
Luckily my dad was on his way to mosque and promised he would stop by the parking lot afterwards. He also had a spare key to my car. Thankfully it was a Friday! If it had been any other day he would have been at work and I'd have no hope but to pass out and die from lack of ozygen inside.
I was still scared though. And deeply embarassed. Anyone driving by would be able to see the mess I had made. The concrete barrier had been pulled so much by my car that a huge pile of leaves had gathered underneath and looked like some kind of leaf explosion. Whoever would be parking beside me would definitely notice and might even contact the authorities! Not wanting to spend the night in jail, I ran into the school looking for the VP that I knew would help me calm down. I couldn't find him! I then went to the department office and sat down at my desk realizing that my class would start in 5 minutes. I decided I couldn't go through with the fun group activity project I had planned. I just wasn't up to it. I quickly ran to photocopy some worksheets so that my students could do quiet seatwork so I could rest my poor self and gather my thoughts in an attempt to think rationally.
The end.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sitting at my desk in the classroom and all the students are working ever so quietly like little angels and then all of a sudden this LOUD voice from the back of the room breaks the silence:
"MS. C -------, someone is thiefing your car!!!!!"
24 faces look up at me.
25 bodies run to the window. I was one of them.
Obviously it was my dad, but being in the state that I was in, I couldn't even put the two together until I got to the window. I had forgotten that my entire class knows which car I drive. I had also forgotten that I had parked in plain view from my classroom window. I had also forgotten that my students in the back row love spending every single second of class time looking outside. Eek! Seeing that I wasn't panicking they then demanded explanations.
So they got explanations. I confessed to the parking problem and admitted that my daddy had to come save my day.
They laughed. They asked me why I hadn't asked a student to help me out. They asked me why I hadn't tried moving the concrete barrier myself. They asked me if I was drunk.
One student had the wonderful idea of opening the window to yell out "hi" to my dad and invite him to come into the classroom. I quickly extinguished his hope of meeting the father of poor Ms. C. We watched my dad reverse and then park my car into a new spot, then get back into his van and drive away. Of course I couldn't say anything to him in the process. Not professional! Plus he had no idea that we were all standing by the window watching.
3:15
I came home.
My dad asked me why I didn't just reverse the car. I told him I had tried but the barrier had begun dragging back with me. He told me he had just put the car in reverse and backed away. Then he began complaining that he had come all the way just to reverse my car for me - something I could have easily done on my own. Great.
My mom gave me a big lecture about panicking. She then told me she's going to start giving me more spinach to make me stonger :S
Lovely, just lovely.
I had tried reversing, it didn't work!!!!
P.S There's a tiny little dent at the bottom part of the car (not noticeable at all unless you're sleeping under the car).
17 Comments:
At 11:14 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
u have a spelling mistake and u call urself a TEACHEr hahaha
At 11:18 p.m.,
'liya said…
I'm glad that you're reading my blog so closely! I honestly couldn't care less if I had a spelling mistake - it's a BLOG, not an essay worth 25% :D
At 2:50 a.m.,
Bilal said…
lol:)
shame, funny story...
At 10:12 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
ha ha ha...that is such a typical girl story...I could imagine myself in the same situation...but u were more professional, u actually went to teach! I would have sat in my car...lol...and the parent lecture...ha ha ha...my mom would say the EXACT same thing!!! Are all Mom's like this or just ours? lol
But my dad would have come into my classroom for sure...lol
At 10:43 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Having a good laugh at your expense. It sounds so typical girly behaviour (sorry, male chauvinist here).
I just hope your car is ok and gas fuel intake pipe didn't get punctured (check if you are leaking - park the car at one spot for the night and see). Your dad sounds like mine, the day when he heard I was in an accident he asked me did I say 'subhanallah sakharalana haza....' dua, while my mom went into auto-panic mode.
At 11:01 a.m.,
FU said…
ur such a chick.
:)
At 12:38 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
What a story!
I feel so embarrassed for you!
I can only imagine you getting all hot in the car and hyperventilating. Because it's happened to me when I made a "blonde" scratch against the car.
Haha! Typical parents! My dad would have told me the same thing and my mother would have given me Calcium tablets or something.
Thanks for sharing Liya :)
At 4:38 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
LOL...i kno its not funny...but it is funny....lol....well its okay....we all have those moments...more so when we're girls...why i dun kno....but i woulda prolly done tha same thing...but prolly call one of my guy friends first..cuz i kno my mom would fly ova there so fast and panic tha whole way there...than id havta deal wit her hysteria on top of mine...lol...well thank you for tha laugh!...=)
At 4:42 p.m.,
'liya said…
Heyyyyy what's with all the comments on my gender! Being female has nothing to do with this! I can easily imagine this happening to a guy and seeing him sit in his car and cry. Okay actually I can't, but still. Funny that should come up though because when I told my students I heard one of them mutter under their breath but loud enough for us to hear "female drivers" .. but again, in the confusion I don't know which student it was ..
Clairissa: Eek you ran into the wall with the side mirror? I'd faint if that happened to me! But what's this about you always go over concrete barriers?! Okay well the difference with mine was the that stupid nail was sticking out and got attached to something under my car! Usually when I parked I go a little bit over them too but from now on I park way back :S
Bilal: Glad you found it amusing :)
Faiza: I had to be professional - I was thinking I'd be fired! New teachers don't want to make any mistakes. Especially mistakes that don't even have to do with teaching lol.
Mezba: I usually say that but I guess in my excitement in going out for lunch I forgot.. and actually when this happened a tiny voice in my head told me this is what I get :S
Fu: *Sigh*
Fatima: Hehe calcium tablets. All parents must be the same. I think dads just usually stay calm while moms go crazy and then blame it on our body/health (when what does how strong I am really have to do with how I park/drive/react?!!)
At 4:45 p.m.,
'liya said…
Samia: Glad you found it funny too.. at least now I can look back at it and laugh (but also cringe)but why do you say we have these moments "more so when we're girls" -- you should be sticking up for our kind!!!
At 8:35 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I've been telling you for years that you panic too much - every morning, you're running late and whining about how you're going to be late, how the principals will see you, your students will notice you're late, etc...
Relax - it's not the end of the world... just breathe some "ozygen" and keep yourself cool and you should be okay.
At 1:05 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
LOL...i kno i should b stickin up for "its not a girl thing"..unfortunately i have way too many examples of my GIRL friends damagin their car in some crazy way that only they can do...tho now to think of it...i have this one guy friend Yuv who once was backin out of anotha friends driveway and there was a pole stickin out from somewhere....and it sorta went thru his back windshield...i mean how do u not see a pole stickin out and how do let it go thru ur window?!...lol....actually now to think of it...im sure guys do tha same thing but keep it on tha DL and not mention it to neone...i guess tha only fault that we girls have is that we voice our emotions on how it sux that suttin like that happened to us....so i guess girls are better cuz we're not afraid to get laughed at?...lol
At 5:37 p.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
Wow, you worry a lot! But I don't blame you. I'm sure I would have been worse if I was in your situation. One of the reasons why I am so hesitant to drive myself :S I know I'll wind up in some situation I can't handle haha And then I have to remind myself that that is no excuse, I must learn ... argh
Anyways, thank goodness for daddies :)
At 5:53 p.m.,
'liya said…
Clairissa: Hehe I wouldn't tell him .. unless he were to do something worse, then you could see it as a time to "confess!"
Nauman: That's because every morning I AM RUNNING LATE!! Even when I wake up earlier, I still leave my house at the same time :S
I'll will try to breath more "ozygen" now though .. hey the 'x' key is right beside the 'z' .. I don't proofread these things!
Samia: That's true, at least we're not afraid to admit when something happens! Um.. how could he not see a pole.. :S
Squeeky: You don't drive???!!! lol .. learn! Don't worry, bad things only happen to me!
At 4:31 p.m.,
'liya said…
Clairissa: LOL don't worry :D
At 8:53 p.m.,
M&M said…
its alrite 'liya. everyone has those moments, guys or girls. but I agree guys tend to not talk about them that much. and ya your parents' response is exactly what my parents would say lol. haha and ya in highschool everyone knows about teachers cars especially if they are super cool or super dingy.
I know of a guy who was told by his dad that whenever reversing he should drive forward like an inch and then reverse for good luck ( i think its some cultural/superstituous practice) and one day he gave the car too much gas and his car crashed inside his garage and he messed up his car.
ouch.
At 11:04 p.m.,
'liya said…
M&M: When I was in high school I didn't know any of my teachers cars :S
Post a Comment
<< Home