Some Business
My dad read 5th Business in high school.
My mom read 5th Business in high school.
I read 5th Business in high school.
Both my sisters read 5th Business in high school.
The grade 12 student I'm tutoring is reading 5th Business.
One day my poor brother will have to read 5th Business in high school.
If you went to high school in Canada, you will without a doubt, have read 5th Business by Robertson Davies at some point during those 4 (or 5) years. I can just say one thing, it sucked when I read it the first time, but now reading it for the second time round, I'm really starting to appreciate it for the great work of literature that it is. Or maybe my major in English just made me open my eyes to the fact that there are many worse books out there, and that on a scale of 1-10, this book fares pretty well. Anyways, what was the best book that you had to read in high school? Do you even remember? I was never satisfied with the books we had to read. Okay, well on the Canadian side I liked some of the Margaret Atwood stuff but that's about it. What I REALLY enjoyed was Shakespeare ... I would love to teach any Shakespearean play to my students... but unfortunately that's not on the agenda for 3C'ers.
An update on my "business:"
In addition to my teaching and full-time supply work, I'm also tutoring a grade 12 student (who goes to a different school), and I'm also marking another English teacher's work for him. Of course, I'm getting paid to do these things, I don't work for free! The tutoring is something I've wanted to do for awhile now. I like helping students one on one to gain a better sense and understanding of where their problems lie and how they can be helped. I'm looking to expand my "client base," but starting with one student seems good for now. The marking work for the other teacher at my school is great for two reasons. #1, the extra $$$, and #2, the teacher has agreed to mentor me in my teaching. According to all new Teacher Induction Program, new teachers are required to have a teacher mentor for their first two years of teaching. However, because I only have one class of MY own a day, I didn't get one... sure I'm managing just fine on my own and I don't really have any problems or questions, but it's always nice to have someone give you suggestions.
I saw this written on the board one day this week when I entered my classroom: "Ms. C-------- rocks!" It was followed with a flowery design and some hearts. It made me smile and almost get teary-eyed but then another student came into the room and ruined the moment.
My mom read 5th Business in high school.
I read 5th Business in high school.
Both my sisters read 5th Business in high school.
The grade 12 student I'm tutoring is reading 5th Business.
One day my poor brother will have to read 5th Business in high school.
If you went to high school in Canada, you will without a doubt, have read 5th Business by Robertson Davies at some point during those 4 (or 5) years. I can just say one thing, it sucked when I read it the first time, but now reading it for the second time round, I'm really starting to appreciate it for the great work of literature that it is. Or maybe my major in English just made me open my eyes to the fact that there are many worse books out there, and that on a scale of 1-10, this book fares pretty well. Anyways, what was the best book that you had to read in high school? Do you even remember? I was never satisfied with the books we had to read. Okay, well on the Canadian side I liked some of the Margaret Atwood stuff but that's about it. What I REALLY enjoyed was Shakespeare ... I would love to teach any Shakespearean play to my students... but unfortunately that's not on the agenda for 3C'ers.
An update on my "business:"
In addition to my teaching and full-time supply work, I'm also tutoring a grade 12 student (who goes to a different school), and I'm also marking another English teacher's work for him. Of course, I'm getting paid to do these things, I don't work for free! The tutoring is something I've wanted to do for awhile now. I like helping students one on one to gain a better sense and understanding of where their problems lie and how they can be helped. I'm looking to expand my "client base," but starting with one student seems good for now. The marking work for the other teacher at my school is great for two reasons. #1, the extra $$$, and #2, the teacher has agreed to mentor me in my teaching. According to all new Teacher Induction Program, new teachers are required to have a teacher mentor for their first two years of teaching. However, because I only have one class of MY own a day, I didn't get one... sure I'm managing just fine on my own and I don't really have any problems or questions, but it's always nice to have someone give you suggestions.
I saw this written on the board one day this week when I entered my classroom: "Ms. C-------- rocks!" It was followed with a flowery design and some hearts. It made me smile and almost get teary-eyed but then another student came into the room and ruined the moment.
24 Comments:
At 1:12 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I want to rock you!
At 1:29 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Hey liya
I went to the same high school as you and I have never read the 5th Business. My parents have never read it, my older sister has never read it, and now my younger sister is in Grade 11 and so far she hasnt read it. Maybe because we were all in IB...I dunno...
Well, the best book I read in high school was "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia....it was amazing. Now my younger sister is reading it and I read it again just to help her out and I love it even more. I suggest you read it.
At 2:56 p.m.,
'liya said…
Anonymous: I know who you are!!!!! lol.
Faiza: What!! Okay well the IB kids in my school have to (I think) but that's not fair that you guys didn't! One Hundred Years of Solitude is a great book - but again, that's not fair because I didn't get to read it in high school, I only read it afterwards :S
At 2:58 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I never read this 5th Business book or even heard about it.
It's good that you're tutoring since it helps supplement your income and gives you a better perspective on teaching. Keep up the good work.
At 3:00 p.m.,
'liya said…
Nauman: You didn't read it either???!!! Fine, maybe it was just a curse on my family!
At 6:25 p.m.,
M&M said…
lol I read that book! it isnt my favourite but when we analyzed it, it didnt sound THAT bad. but I barely remember much about it. My younger sister didnt read that book though, she read some book about a guy who goes mental at war and his homosexual relationships I think, etc, i cannot remember the book's name right now.
But wow, ur parents read that book too!.. :S. shouldnt the curriculum stuff get updated every once in a while:P
At 10:19 p.m.,
FU said…
what the hell is a 5th business? what remedial program are u teaching?
are u in the projects? is 5th business street for dealing crack?
are u really a drug dealer and this blog is just a metaphor? your students are really your junkies?
ur evil my dear. evil.
At 11:00 p.m.,
Asmaa said…
Sorry liya, I've never heard of that book...and I'm an English major :(
At 9:34 a.m.,
'liya said…
M&M: Finally someone else!! Hmm maybe the book your sister read was The Wars by Timothy Findley? The curriculum doesn't tell you which books to teach lol .. that's something a teacher decides.. but Fifth Business is suppposed to be a Canadian classic.. which is why everyone in my family read it.. and I assumed everyone else would have too!
Fu: It isn't a remedial class!! It's grade 11 college! NOT REMEDIAL!!! But yes, I can't believe you figured me out, I'm really a drug dealer.. don't tell V :D
Asmaa: It's considered one of the Classics of Canadian lit!!! *sigh* I even had to read another book by that same author in uni!
At 9:36 a.m.,
'liya said…
Here people! :
http://www.vpl.ca/branches/LibrarySquare/lit/pdf/canadian.pdf
I expect people to agree with me on this book and practically nobody's read it! Go to a library and pick up something Canadian!! (and notice this book under section 1970s).
At 11:26 a.m.,
M&M said…
yup it was The Wars. And lol my class was grade 11 academic.... university and we read the book. My teacher always called it a classic. The author's actually a pretty ok writer, a great forshadower.
In my high school, we had (and still do even when I am gone) two main senior English teachers, one's been teaching 5th business for years and the other teaches The Wars. One smart thing my teacher did(well it sucked for us) with 5th business was since its not used by many high schools, there is practically nothing online. NOTHING on sparknotes on anything. So every student HAD to pay attention in class
and I did not know the teachers chose the books themselves, interesting. :)
At 4:28 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At 4:36 p.m.,
'liya said…
Nauman: Your comment is so fascinating that I'm going to copy and paste it here for everyone to read. My name has been deleted and inserted with 'Liya :D
Nauman's comment:
Yes, FU, 'Liya is a drug dealer... it definitely explains why she was so whack in high school when she talked about fairies and princesses all the time. It also explains how she got V - clearly, he's her best customer and is close to broke thanks to her. It also explains why she panics so much because the drugs cause her to lose her ability to cope with day-to-day problems such as parking her car. She has these "students" who she supplies a constant dose of "5th business" to and thus, they love her. Lastly, she's known as "Miss C" not because her last name starts with C but rather because C stands for CRACK or COCAINE - depending on which she has available since she has it imported through South Africa originating from Afghanistan.
It all makes sense now... we've figured you out, 'Liya!
At 4:40 p.m.,
'liya said…
M&M: I feel bad for your sister, The Wars sucked - although it IS another classic lol. There's STILL nothing on Sparknotes about 5th Business - which shows the rest of the world doesn't care about what we read up here - so students still have to pay attention in class :D
At 8:28 p.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
Okay, after Nauman's comment, I'm a little scared of you ... :S
haha I also have never heard of 5th Business but because there is so much talk about it here haha I'm going to look it up and give it a go :)
At 3:02 a.m.,
sara said…
I've never read or heard of 5th Business either but I'm with you on the Atwood. One of her newest releases, Oryx and Crake, is my new favorite book (aside from Jane Austen's Emma)
At 9:52 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
First time hearing of the book, but then I didn't go to school here. For us, a book that our parents, grandparents, and us read, would be unfortunately Romeo and Juliet. Oh God that sucked.
At 12:38 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I never had to read 5th Business either. It was one of several options but I choose something else I can't recall what. My favourite required read was A Handmaids Tale, To Kill A Mockingbird, and A Midsummer Nights Dream.
Oh and Angela's Ashes but that was only semi required since its what I choose for my ISU in OAC English.
At 5:23 p.m.,
'liya said…
Squeeky: Run! LOL well definitely check it out, you probably would have to read it twice to like it though! All I remember from high school was SYMBOLISM and the fact that a simple snowball can set so many events into motion :D
Sara: I still have to read Oryx and Crake - do you have it? I'd love to borrow it :D The best Maragaret Atwood book that I read in high school was The Robber Bride - not one of the more famous ones, but I found it so unique. I think I had to read something of hers every year.
Mezba: What are you talking about! Romeo and Juliet is awesome! It's my second favourite Shakespearean play (the first is The Tempest). But I must admit Romeo and Juliet in high school did kinda suck because it just covered the basics. In university we got to dig deeper into it and that's where I fell in love with it.
Ahmed: A Handmaids Tale - great.
To Kill A Mockingbird - great.
Angela's Ashes - great.
A Midsummer Nights Dream - totally hated it! - worst Shakespeare play I ever read.
At 1:58 a.m.,
sara said…
It's on my bookshelf in Canada, i'll give it to you on the weekend ;)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At 8:55 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
well, i guess i'll join the ranks of those who have never heard of 5th business. probably b/c i'm not from canada.
you mentioned liking Shakespeare. I really loved hamlet.
when i was in 11th grade, we read a bunch of the "great american novels." Most of them i really liked... Dandelion Wine; My Antonia; ... and of course, i cant think of what the other ones were.
My sister and I were probably a teacher's worst nightmare... Since we're twins and were reading the same books, she would read one and tell me all about it. Then i'd read the next one and tell her all about it. So i never read The Scarlet Letter [thank goodness, b/c it was stupid], but i got stuck reading The Old Man and The Sea [which i actually really did love... though everyone else hated it].
At 9:35 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
I remember 5th business and i also remember that i never finished it for the exam :P I think the worst book from high school had to be the lord of the flies, remember that liya with mrs woodley?
Nauman's comment just brought back memories of "fairy dust products" how many ppl did u rip off with that? :P
The robber bride, tamarind mem, hamlet were all good..hate king lear...
At 6:42 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At 8:25 p.m.,
'liya said…
Sara: Yay! Can't wait to have you back.. and can't wait to eat those cookies :D Make sure nobody steals them on the plane!
Becky: I always wanted to take an American literature course in uni but never did get to - so I've never read any of the ones you mentioned (and never heard of any except for The Scarlet Letter). Hamlet is fabulous, and I have a good reason for thinking so.. one of my Hamlet essays won me some $ so that made me like it even more hehe. But no, that's really one of the best plays!
Aman: My sister had Ms. Woodly twice! I hated Lord of the Flies in high school but I love it now. There's so much to teach with it.. I taught some lessons on it at one of my placements and loved it. I guess it depends on how its taught to you. Ms. Woodly wasn't exactly the most um interesting person lol.. although I thought she was very nice. Same with King Lear, hate it in high school, but fell in love with it at university.
I ripped off quite a few people with my FairyDust products - were't you one of them? hehe
Anonymous: I deleted your comment because well you mention a name that I prefer not to reveal :)
Post a Comment
<< Home