Wicked was WICKED!

Wicked. LOVED it! Thanks V for such a nice birthday present :D
I'd recommend this musical for any girl who loves the theatre, adores fairytales, and has always wanted a pair of red ruby slippers... because...

.. and aren't you curious to find out the true story? :D
Question of the day: What's your favourite fairytale? I've always loved The Little Mermaid, and still do. I think I must have been her biggest fan. Actually, I know I was! I had at least five different versions of Ariel dolls, paperdolls, colouring books, sticker books (and stickers), clothing, accessories (including a very cute watch), a bicycle, kitchen utensils, storybooks, tapes, .. you get the picture.. everything. The only thing I lacked was a little mermaid costume because my parents thought she looked a bit scandalous in that skimpy shell bra she wears. But I had a Little Mermaid toothbrush (where Ariel would move inside the plastic part while I was brushing) so that made up for that! I was obsessed, and I know exactly why I loved her. It was because of her long red hair. I thought it was the most beautiful thing. I was enchanted by it. I had dreams of dying my own hair red to be just like her (never got there). I also kinda believed I was related to her because whenever I went swimming I'd pretend to be a mermaid.. and it felt so real...
In case you don't already know, I had a HUGE imagination as a child and in some ways I still do. I think it's really important to play make-believe. You develop a lot of skills that way and you learn how to be creative. Creativity is something that I find lacking in a lot of people. Some people refuse to have any sort of imagination and I find that a little sad. Okay, a lot sad. It makes them BORING! I don't know where V and I would be if Mr. Nice, Mr. Buns, Sucker, Atlantica, Pacifica, and the fabulous Ms. Caravelli didn't exist - all figments of my fabulous imagination :D
So, which was the fairytale you absolutely adored? Male readers I want you to answer this question too! Okay, let's make this question more guy friendly: Which Disney character did/do you like the most?
I want to know.
15 Comments:
At 10:32 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Favorite fairy tale character? I think it has to be Pied Piper of Hamelin. Something about having a flute that lets girls follow you (I modified the story in my head) appeals to me.
As for favorite Disney character - has to be Aladdin.
"Prince Ali... Handsome is he.. Ali Ababua..."
At 11:08 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Yes I heard about the show too .. Wicked .. I think it originated in Chicago no? Hmm @ fairy tale .. I used to read Omro Ayaar stories.
At 11:14 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Favourite fairy tale character... I don't know if I have one... I liked Mufasa from Lion King...
Your imaginary characters sound scandalous... and yes, you definitely have a very active imagination. Creativity is a skill that many people lack but mash'allah, you seem to have gotten it in abundance. I just hope that you don't let fantasy delude you from reality like some people do who are blessed with creativity...
At 12:06 a.m.,
FU said…
Genie
Also Simba and Rafiki.
But if we are talking about "fairy tales" I guess Ninja Turtles would be the guy equivalent.
I liked them in the following order: Raphael, Donatello, Leonardo and Michaelangelo.
TURTLE POWER!
At 10:25 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Oh wow...I LOVED Cinderella...I'm surprised no one else has mentioned her. It just showed that no matter what anyone does as long as you are kind hearted and nice, in the end you will be given happiness. I also liked Jasmine from Alladin...I dunno her appearance reminded me of myself...;) lol
At 3:45 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I don't think theres a fairytale I absolutely adored. I guess I kind I like the old fairytales my Nani and my Mom use to tell me.
Of the mainstream/widely known ones I liked The Three Billy Goats.
Disney character I like? Hmmm...Uncle Scrooge hehe. Can I pick Kermit the frog? He was cool too. Oh and Lion-o from the Thundercats. Oh and of course He-Man!
At 6:37 p.m.,
'liya said…
Mezba: LOL I like how you modified the story but somehow I don't see girls being that interested in a flute player :D Jasmine did good going for Aladdin. Others boys have boring cars but he had the carpet!
Nabeel: It probably did. I don't know what Omro Ayaar stories are - I'll have to look into it!
Nauman: Don't worry, I'm quite in touch with reality. You must have balance! Mufasa is good. Whenever I used to watch The Lion King I'd cry when he died.. poor poor Simba :(
Fu: I've never watched Ninja Turtles but I remember it used to come on either before or after one of the girly shows I did watch. I find it fascinating how they're each named after famous Renaissance artists. Do you know why ? (I don't).
When my brother was a baby I used to pretend my brother was Simba and would hold him up to the sky like Mufasa does in the beginning of the movie :D
Faiza: I don't think anyone else mentioned Cinderella yet because all the other comments are from guys! - which kinda surprised me - but made me happy too :)
I always thought Jasmine's ponytail was a funny shape. I used to think that my cousin Yasmine was her (like when I was a kid, not recently), I think I just used to identify people with different made up characters.
Ahmed: Kermit the Frog?! - That's Sesame Street - not fairytales! - but yes you can pick him :) The Three Billy Goats Gruff is good.
At 9:19 p.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
Wicked ... I must admit, that sounds very interesting, I'd definitely check it out if I could. And I was crazy about The Little Mermaid too! I think all little girls were. I used to draw her all the time and incorporate her character into all my work in elementary school haha Oh, and I had a crush on Aladdin tee hee
PS - I LOVED NINJA TURTLES! CAN'T WAIT FOR THE MOVIEEE
At 5:50 a.m.,
sara said…
I too loved Cinderella, always waiting for Prince Charming to come sweep me off my feet. And Jasmin was cool too, but mainly because of her pet tiger, never hurts to have a wild cat by your side. When I was very little and lived in SA, I was obsessed with Strawberry Shortcake. I had ALL the paraphenalia, from a stroller to an umbrella, to clothing to dolls, themed birthday parties, etc etc etc. As for disney crushes, gotta say mine was Tarzan.
At 10:12 p.m.,
'liya said…
Squeeky: Maybee, but I think I was a little obsessed with her .. because.. well what if I were to say I still am :S But aww a crush on Aladdin, how sweet! LOL And a Ninaja Turtles fan? Okay well do you know why they're named after famous artists?! I want to know!
Sara: Tarzan.. I thought he was cute too lol. I remember Strawberry Shortcake but I was never as obsessed with her as I was Ariel. I remember having some scratch a sniff doll that was supposed to be her friend. Did she have a friend named Chocolatey or something?
At 10:38 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
i kno its late..but i LOVE LOVE disney so i had to comment..and i also LOVE LOVE ariel..little mermaid is my fav too...and i also like Belle...mayb cuz she reads alot too..and well shes pretty...and she saw past tha Beast exterior and all that good stuff...man i wanna b a kid again...=/
At 10:48 p.m.,
'liya said…
Samia: Beauty and the Beast is my 2nd fav. I had a million things with her picture plastered on it too but not as much as my Little Mermaid stuff. Gotta love her yellow dress *sigh* oooh and the library in the castle - that's the best! :)
At 1:21 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
So, this is a girly thing? I saw the banner ads downtown and wanted to go.
At 1:26 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
That's a pretty hard question though. I don't think I have a clear favourite, I liked Aladdin, but I have always been pro-villain. Jafar and Scar are probably my favourites... Simba's a loser.
At 12:44 a.m.,
'liya said…
Shan: Simba is NOT a loser!!! He's adorable. If I were a lion I'd be attracted to him! But definitely go see Wicked if you can. While it was very girly, I think boys can appreciate it too - plus it was funny and it had a surprise ending. I won't say anything else :)
Post a Comment
<< Home