To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Friday, January 12, 2007

For the love of READING!

I let the students decide. They could either read a 600 page graphic novel about love/sex/relationships, or they could read a 200 page one about drugs/violence/gangs. The girls all started with the first, while the boys were more interested in the latter (surprise surprise). However, the boys did flip through all 600 pages to find as many "inappropriate" pictures as possible first (there were many). Now that's all fine and normal, but what pleasantly surprised me (actually more like made me ecstatically overjoyed), was the fact that most students ended up reading both - they loved the books that much! That made me feel (and look) really good especially since these books were ordered specifically for my class, were quite pricey, and we weren't sure whether they would arrive before the semester ended.

What with all the problems getting high school boys to pick up a book and read these days (it's no secret that girls excel in English), it's music to an English teacher's ears to hear "Ms., why can't we have more books like this?" and "This was the best book I ever read!" and "Ms., can you stop talking so we can read?!" Yay! I call this short chapter of my life The Success of the New Teacher - in other words, getting the idea through to them that reading is great stuff :D

I should mention that one of my male students had the crazy idea of sniffing the 600 page novel before he read it (probably inspired from the drug-themed first book he read), - and that inspired all my male students to become book-sniffers. They told me it smelled like gas and continiously sniffed as they read. Like the (more mature) girls, I ignored them throughout the period, but at the end of class when everyone left the room, I couldn't control my curiosity any longer and inhaled deeply. Nothing. It just smelled like a new book. Disappointed (but also relieved), I packed up my stuff and went home. However, once in the car and driving, I couldn't help but admit to myself that I felt a little light-headed :S

12 Comments:

  • At 1:47 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it doesn't smell like gas .. they were smelling the new book smell .. Yes I think reading is good .. and this is an early stage to build reading habits among ur students. The only thing .. is that you can also drive their interest from reading if let's say a subject matter doesn't interest them. So be careful & be smart .. good idea to that u gave 'em a choice.

     
  • At 5:26 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    maybe you just got high on reading.
    (ha, ha)

    and man, your class... what nerds!

     
  • At 9:22 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    haha! that's hilarious. What books were they?

     
  • At 1:00 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nabeel: Duh! Obviously it was the new book smell! But this isn't an early stage to build reading skills... this is a late stage!! This is something they should have been taught and be used to from elementary school... well that's the goal anyway... but kids today, they just...don't read... :S

    Umar: "High on reading" I like that. I should write that on a poster and stick it on the door. Seriously! And my class is not the nerdy type at all - which is why the sudden change was quite a shock and complete happiness for me lol. It was totally out of character for them to read both books.. I'm still trying to believe it!

    Nab: The 600 page book is called Blankets and it's by Craig Thompson and I can't remember the title or author of the second one - it's just completely slipped my mind. I definitely recommend you read it, it's a beautiful love story - just a bit racy for high school students, not your typical novel study book... (my opinion anyway) - but it held their attention and that's what counts right?!

     
  • At 8:12 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i "googled" the book you mentioned [blankets] and was able to find excerpts from it.

    thats really interesting. I never got to read graphic novels in school. We had to read books like "the old man and the sea," and "the scarlet letter," and "of mice and men."

    i love reading, so i didnt mind it much. but other classmates absolutely hated it. i'm sure they would have prefered something like what your students are reading.

     
  • At 8:14 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    btw... i know you've been a teacher for a little while now, but it just struck me... its really cool that you're a teacher. once erica is old enough, i'd love to teach. though, i like middle school better than high school.

     
  • At 9:51 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the old book smell.

    Not saying anything more.

     
  • At 9:51 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    PS. What's your email? I wanted to email you something but it's not on your profile. I think I ran into a friend of yours.

     
  • At 2:50 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I SMELL BOOKS TOO!!!

    i thought i was the only one.


    new book smells give me a headache!

     
  • At 5:22 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Becky: I never got to read graphic novels either and now they're all the rage. But guess what, I taught Of Mice and Men this year!! I'll definitely have to remember that book (although I didn't like it that much) since it was the first one I ever taught.

    Definitely think about teaching! It's fun and SO rewarding :D (are you sure you want the middle-schoolers though? That's when they go through their changes and awkward stages :S)

    Mezba: I guess old books don't smell "gassy" like new ones. Or maybe they do :D

    I don't want to type it on here but my email is my firstname_my last name@ hotmail.com (my full first name, not just 'liya') umm if you don't know it, tell me yours and I'll email you first (I couldn't find yours on your blog anywhere too).

    Fu: So does that mean you like old book smells?

     
  • At 1:02 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    RIS pictures should be up on Flickr in the next day or two. (I know, I know... it's been more than 2 weeks).

    In the meantime, I've put up 3 on my photoblog. Do check it out.

     
  • At 4:50 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Umar: Okay! I'll check now, I'm sure your pictures are amazing :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home