For love or the $$$ ?
I'm feeling loved because It's been hinted to me several times to stay for the second semester at the school where I teach because I'm liked. My contract was only for one semester and soon it'll be up, however, the option is mine of course. The problem is, the only course that there's an opening for at this school is not an English course nor is it an Art course. It's back to the Careers course! Apparently most teachers have had to teach this course at some point or other so right now it's my turn to go through with it.... BUT there's so many tempting English positions that have opened up just in the past week for various high schools in Peel for semester two. And these are all full-time positions of 3 classes of English whereas if I were to stay at my current school, the position is only for one section of Careers and the rest of the for periods supply work again.
What do I do?
I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE THE SCHOOL WHERE I'M AT. It's an amazing school and the staff are amazing and the students are great.. and I know where everything is (especially since I've supplied in almost every classroom).. and I know how things are run.. I don't want to have to learn all this stuff over again. Plus this is my first school... and it's where I had my first class...
But all those English positions are looking awfully tempting...
...Erindale...Fletcher's Meadows...Cawthra Park...Bramalea Secondary... all familiar names... and last but not least, Applewood - the high school my mom attended. That would be weird though, teaching at the school my mom attended?! But years ago my uncle attended my current place of work and now he's a married man in his early 40s with 3 children. I can't really picture him as a teenager sitting in the classrooms I've been teaching in :S
But back to the point. This all comes down to a question of money or happiness. Money, due to the fact that if I was accepted for one of the jobs from one of the above-listed schools (which I'm confident I would be because I now have fabulous references in high places!), I'd be paid as a full-time TEACHER. Whereas, if I stay at my wonderful school right now, I'm getting paid as a part-time teacher but also as a full-time supply teacher. Does that make sense? It's not that much of a difference, but there still is some change. And happiness because, well obviously I'm happy here.
What would you do? Leave for the better pay (and the fact that I can teach a subject I adore again) or stay for the job satisfaction but not the subject you had in mind?
I've already told the school admin that I'm going to stay since I can't bear the thought of leaving, BUT I can still change my mind...
I'm confused :S
Any advice/opinions or simply a hug would be greatly appreciated.
What do I do?
I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE THE SCHOOL WHERE I'M AT. It's an amazing school and the staff are amazing and the students are great.. and I know where everything is (especially since I've supplied in almost every classroom).. and I know how things are run.. I don't want to have to learn all this stuff over again. Plus this is my first school... and it's where I had my first class...
But all those English positions are looking awfully tempting...
...Erindale...Fletcher's Meadows...Cawthra Park...Bramalea Secondary... all familiar names... and last but not least, Applewood - the high school my mom attended. That would be weird though, teaching at the school my mom attended?! But years ago my uncle attended my current place of work and now he's a married man in his early 40s with 3 children. I can't really picture him as a teenager sitting in the classrooms I've been teaching in :S
But back to the point. This all comes down to a question of money or happiness. Money, due to the fact that if I was accepted for one of the jobs from one of the above-listed schools (which I'm confident I would be because I now have fabulous references in high places!), I'd be paid as a full-time TEACHER. Whereas, if I stay at my wonderful school right now, I'm getting paid as a part-time teacher but also as a full-time supply teacher. Does that make sense? It's not that much of a difference, but there still is some change. And happiness because, well obviously I'm happy here.
What would you do? Leave for the better pay (and the fact that I can teach a subject I adore again) or stay for the job satisfaction but not the subject you had in mind?
I've already told the school admin that I'm going to stay since I can't bear the thought of leaving, BUT I can still change my mind...
I'm confused :S
Any advice/opinions or simply a hug would be greatly appreciated.
22 Comments:
At 12:29 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
*HUG*...(i suck at work advice since apparently i cant even tell myself what to do....)
At 12:45 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Go for the English courses if it will help you advance your career. Right now you are comfortable in this school, you can easily get used to and be comfortable in the new school. Now is the time to take risks.
Do Istikhara.
Go to V for the hug. Stay approximately 5 cm away to maintain proper non-mehram distance. :-D
At 12:33 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I agree with Mezba, its very easy to get complacent. Go for the English gig. And choose Erindale! Thats my old school...and man, they need some better English teachers there. At least they did when I was there.
At 1:58 p.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
Wow, that's tough. If I was in your position, I'd do what I felt was more comfortable for me and I also don't work too well with change :S hehe So as tempting as the English positions are ... I'd probably just stay where I have been. But then again, maybe pursuing the other option will broaden your experience ..? It's a toughie.
Istikhaara is always good, insha'Allah you'll receive the guidance you're looking for. Good luck!
At 5:01 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Do what's best for yourself. If you wish to advance your career and have a permanent job, then applying for those jobs might be best.
As Ahmed said, you don't want to become complacent - the moment you do is the moment where your career and plans come to a halt.
At 5:58 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Hey liya
Happy New Year (late)! In case you've been wondering where I was these days (which I doubt you would since u dont even know me) but Ive been super busy since my last semester at U of T started!!! ehhh!
But anyway....your dilema. I would try for the new schools. The new schools sound like a better decision and more permanent and "teacher like" (does that make sense) But in the end its really what you choose. Good luck! ;)
At 6:45 p.m.,
'liya said…
My dad wants me to apply to another school to teach English full-time and advance my career. My mom wants me to stay because I'm happy there and have no complaints. V thinks I should stay because it could lead to something permanent. My sister wants me to stay because she thinks I'll hunt her down at Turner (she has English next semester but they don't even have a job opening so I don't know what her problem is), the teachers at the school have been telling me horror stories about other schools so I don't know what to believe... I know the school has one of the best reputations in Peel but I know a few others that aren't bad... I don't know what I want to do!!!
Samia: I think we both need hugs :S
Mezba: Istikhaara sounds like a very good idea. "Go to V for the hug. Stay approximately 5 cm away to maintain proper non-mehram distance." - hehe, that made me smile (and I needed to smile)!
Ahmed: Okay, that now makes three people on the new school side. I AM really comfortable there but I'm also curious to know what else is out there... but what if I don't like it? I guess I don't know unless I try :S
Squeeky: I'm leaning towards staying - well I already told them I would - but I know they'd understand if I changed my mind... *sigh*
Nauman: I do want to advance my career but none of those other positions are permanent, they're all for just one semester as well. The school I'm at right now isn't permanent either, but it was pointed out to me that if I stay it would look really good and it might lead to something permanent... now you can see why I'm having such a hard time making up my mind :S
Faiza: Aww I DID wonder where you had disappeared to!! I thought you had mentioned you were going to Pakistan so I assumed you were there (unless I'm confusing you with someone else!). Good luck with all your studying, make sure you make YOUR last semester there the best! Pretty soon you'll be in a confusing place, kinda like me :S ... and now counting you, that makes five people on the new school side.
At 7:02 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
hes egytian.. anything else u want to know..
yes hes hot sara lol
what else?????/
lolol
At 11:41 p.m.,
Asmaa said…
I'd say stay where you are. It's a good school :)
ps: your request has been fulfilled.
At 12:50 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
i'm going to go against most of the opinions here and advise you to stay at your current placement.
if this is just for one semester then stick it out... next year you might get a full time position.
we once had this amazingly awesome communication tech. teacher and she left after a semester (because other, stupid teachers had problems with her) and it totally sucked that she had to go.
At 10:38 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
stay where u are...coz u sound really happy there...or read istikharah as mezba said :)
but hey, i understand what u're going through..i'm going through something kind of the same. :/
At 2:32 p.m.,
'liya said…
Anonymous: Leila I already asked you questions which for some reason you didn't want to answer (I don't know what you're hiding, but whatever!) :S
Asmaa, Umar & Fatima: So you three all think I should stay... Hmmm ..
At 2:33 p.m.,
M&M said…
sounds like a dilemma
definitely do istikhara
my two cents, i think since you are at the begining of your career, all the stuff you do right now to make ur resume look good and move on will help you in the future. you will be teaching full time and the course you love (two of your goals). a great move for your career. what's to say that the people you meet there are not going to be nice. and you can always come back to GS when a position opens up. also you are not able to teach the course you want to teach and might feel useless at times.
change is good sometimes.
dont stay there only and only for the people, if the possibility of getting full time is really good then think about it because otherwise it will get harder and harder to move to another position because you will get attached but will not be getting what you want from your position
just my two cents. good luck!
At 2:45 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I agree with everything m&m just said. You can keep waiting and hoping for something better or you can actively search for it. Adding to your resume and your experiences.
Sure you like you're school but you want to be a full-time english teacher...and to do this...you're going to turn down a job to be a full-time english teacher? To remain a part-time worker, b/c you're worried the new school won't be as nice?
The good thing is, it doesn't even seem like a real risk. You're in the fortunate position of choosing between several options that are all good. :)
At 4:29 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Hey liya! Wow...thanks for remembering me! But I dont think I ever said I was going to Pakistan...lol...oh well...its the thought that counts!
So many opinions...if I were you Id become more confused! Just relax and don't worry...whatever you choose will be the right choice. :)
At 8:09 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
liya, I sent you an email - I don't know if you got it.
At 3:38 a.m.,
sara said…
*hug* i say stay in your safe comfort zone bubble. and leila stop vandalizing liya's blog, this post isn't about that okay!
At 9:32 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Well, I think you should do what makes you happy.
But Allaah knows best, so pray istikhara and leave the rest up to Him, and He will show you the best option !
At 5:02 p.m.,
'liya said…
Everyone: Thanks for your advice and opinions (and hugs!) - all much appreciated. Will update soon :)
At 4:16 p.m.,
'liya said…
Clairissa: Thanks :) (and I'm glad you haven't been destructive lately lol).
Well the descision was made due to a lot of thinking, praying, and an incident that made me open my eyes today at school. I'll discuss the result in a post tomorrow. Right now I have nine more grade 12 essays to mark and tomorrow all English students write their exams.
At 6:12 p.m.,
nat said…
Hey 'liya, sorry for your dilemma, but if you do decide to switch schools I agree with Ahmed, go to Erindale! Thats where Miss LaRoche teaches now, I don't know if you remember her but she taught at Turner for a few years then left, ifact she was my grade 12 english teacher. It would be weird for me to work with her in the future.. I wonder if we'd be friends and go for lunch... imagine that! Plus its good that they're looking for english teachers.. exactly what I want to teach. :) maybe one day we'll even work together!
At 11:12 p.m.,
'liya said…
Nuffy: I recognize the name, but I don't remember who she is. It would definitely be weird to be working with any teacher we had - but that's the case at my school with two of the English teachers :S And I would LOVE to work with you!
Post a Comment
<< Home