To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

"I've requested to add you as a friend"

Does the title above sound familiar?

For the past 4 years I barely used MSN. I was bored of it and really had no need for it since V and I were at the same school. Now suddenly I seem to be on quite often, - more than I'd like actually. The other day a girl I knew from high school messaged me out of the blue. No "hi," or "how are you doing," just, "where are you teaching?" (my MSN name was school related so that's how she knew I was a teacher). But her message seemed kinda abrupt and somewhat rude (as I interpreted it) seeing that this was the first thing she said to me in over 4 years. Well being the annoying person that I am, I messaged back to say, "you don't talk to me for 4 years and now you don't even ask me how I'm doing?" She didn't reply. I put a smiley to show that I was joking around. Still no reply.

The next day I get the same message from her. I explained that I had responded to her the day before and she hadn't replied so I had left the conversation after a few minutes. Her next message? She wanted to know what school I was teaching at. Um hello, did you not read what I just said? (I didn't say that, just thought it). I didn't reply. She asked what grade. Apparently this girl is trying to make connections so that she can get into teaching. Well she ain't getting any help from me if that was how she was going to approach me about it. If you're not interested in me than at least pretend to be! Pretend to care about my life before fishing for information to benefit you!

I have no patience for people who just talk to me when they want something, so I deleted her off my MSN. My sister is at the stage of her teenage life where she seems to want to have as many people as possible on her list. I, on the other hand, want to have as little as possible. Call me anti-social, I don't care! I'm busy and I'm tired of being nice to silly people.

The day after, I received one of these messages in my inbox: "I've requested to add you as a friend" (to one of those friendshipy sites). Yeah right! Suddenly she wants to be my "friend?!" After 4 years of silence and then the awkward messaging on MSN? That's a joke.

Call it what you want...

Naseeb
hi5
Facebook
Friendster
WAYN
Desi-Planet
etc. whatever!


I just have absolutely no interest in re-connecting with people who want to add me to a list so that I can make their list longer, and that person more "popular." Are you kidding, you actually know 500+ people? How do you make time for all your "friends?!" I certainly don't have 500+ friends. I don't even want to!

In the past I've tried a few of the friendshipy sites after being bombarded with the I've requested to add you as a friend message too many times (including from the abovementioned girl). I have to admit that at first it was nice connecting with people I liked and did miss, but then after awhile, it seemed that mainly people I didn't know, wanted to message me - despite the fact that I had I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW written in my profile. That struck me as funny. Maybe people don't know how to read. They should go back to grade 11. I could teach them. Oh well.

My findings:

1. Most of the single guys on these sites seem kinda desperate. Just look at their profile and see not 500+ but 1000+ people listed - mainly all girls. What kind of message does that send out? What kind of girl would want to be with a guy like that? But it goes both ways, what kind of guy would want to be with a girl that has 1000+ friends who mainly all male? I won't even get started on the strange pick-up lines these guys use.

2. Most of the girls, well they need to be more aware of their profile/pictures. Really. If a guy becomes interested in a girl because of how much of her body she shows off... well we all know that he's just interested in one thing. Save the revealing clothes for the bedroom. This isn't a beach. Unless it's a beach photo, then I'd assume people would be dressed. And unless it's a wedding/party photo, I'd assume you don't wear make-up caked on everyday. I understand that people want to show themselves looking as great as they can, but it's possible to look and be decent too. If in every picture you've posted, you're wearing something revealing, then it makes you look like a ...

3. Enough with all the supposedly "sexy" poses. I find it extremely weird when people take pictures of themselves (like holding the camera and pointing it at your face). Not only is it really vain, but it just looks, well foolish! I'm not talking about pictures that are meant to be funny (like my locker hug!), but photos that are meant to highlight a person's physical appearance. Guys seem to want to appear all tough but most of the time they don't know how to position their face (and you can see up a few noses). Girls want to appear sexy so they try to do some sultry pose that ends up make them look like they're trying too hard (save these pictures for the boyfriend!). If you're simply a member of the site in order to meet someone of the opposite sex (which it seems for most), then at least invest in a good picture. Try taking a picture with a group of people so that it looks natural. Or instead of pouting, try smiling (because otherwise you look like a fish).

Am I being harsh? These were just my observations. But this doesn't mean that there aren't any normal people out there who just want to stay in touch with their friends. My sister pointed out that my blog is similar to those sites. But is it? I don't think so. It's like a hobby. It fills my void of not writing an essay/story or something else creative. I appreciate people reading about my life and leaving their thoughts and opinions. And I like reading what other people write - people who I know, and people who I don't know. It's fun. And if there were some sort of function, I'd request to add my regular readers (who I don't know) as friends in my life. Because you all seem like cool people. Aww :) Except the anonymous weirdos of course.

***

This just in: while I was typing this post, the girl I mentioned just messaged me to ask how much money I make. Wow. Some people don't give up. I should have blocked her before hitting delete :S

11 Comments:

  • At 3:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i kno ppl like that...ive deleted ppl like that...but like u i forgot to block them ahead of time...lol...usually i just ignore them.....and ur right..there are a million of those sites...and i am on those millions of sites....partly becuz i have so many ppl in different countries to keep in touch wit....i have one place for my cuzins in Pakistan...than facebook which i joined years ago cuz of college and findin kids in my class so i can get notes from them..lol....than well all those othas for my Canadian friends and wha not....there are too many..ive forgotten passwords of some....lol...but wit tha exception of facebook all tha ppl i have on it are my friends...and thas why i only have like 20 ppl or less....but i like it like that....tha otha day some random guy messaged me twice on myspace and was like....u dun write back babygirl was good....i responded and said i dun respond to ppl to ppl that call me babygirl....(cuz i HATE HATE that)..and he responded congratulations then....???..i have no idea wha that means....i dun kno ...ppl are strange...i do like catchin up wit my friends in canada tho that i havent seen/talked to in years....tho it makes me more homesick :S

     
  • At 10:06 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what if she checks your blog?
    (i take it i'm an 'anonymous weirdo')

     
  • At 12:08 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, i think blogging is different. Although, i guess it comes down to why you blog and what you blog about. I'm like you, in that i started blogging b/c i just wanted to write. i love to write.

    I'm glad you consider your "regular readers" to be friends. Awe, how sweet. It is funny though, b/c we dont live ANYWHERE near eachother. But its just fun to share stories and life happenings.

     
  • At 12:29 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am on facebook and honestly get flummoxed by people who seem to add every tom dick and harry. My list is mostly my friends (plus a few blog readers) and it's nice to keep in touch with people one may have lost in touch for a long time, but with whom one was close at one point.

    On another note, you might want to read that while guys use such sites (myspace, facebook, etc.) to flirt, girls seek to make friends.

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/07/ap/national/mainD8MGMFD00.shtml

    Lol.. actually I know three couples, now happily married, through Naseeb!

     
  • At 4:45 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :)

    I don't regret joining Naseeb back in the day ... it brought online Squeeky to life ...

     
  • At 6:27 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Samia: People are indeed strange. I don't think girls do things like that. Or maybe I just don't know. But I'm a bit strange too - for every dumb message I got from a random guy I'd message them back to tell them to go pray to God for forgiveness :) .. even if it was just a simple message like "nice smile." I couldn't care less if some random person thinks I have a nice smile. The only people I want to hear that from are those that I care about.

    Anonymous: You said it :) I highly doubt she knows about it.

    Becky: I suppose my reading people's blogs makes up for the time I don't give myself to read books anymore :S But I like it. It's interesting to share stories. But you don't like live THAT far from me - okay yes another country, but not as far as Africa! We're still neighbours lol.

    Mezba: The link doesn't seem to work for me though I am curious to read that. "it's nice to keep in touch with people one may have lost in touch for a long time, but with whom one was close at one point" - exactly! I was confused when people from high school who I had never talked to would message me and be like "oh it's sooooooo nice to talk to you again!" - um "again?"

    Squeeky: :D

     
  • At 10:47 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I first got to NY. I knew almost no one. So I joined Naseeb. I met a (online) a lot of freaks (both guys and girls). But I was lucky enough to meet many normal people as well. People that are just interested in hanging out grabbing a bite to eat, watching a movie, going bowling or whatever. And its been great b/c when I first got here I was literally going insane with boredom. Theres only so many hrs I can spend walking around the city myself. (Though i'm tired of naseeb now. its all about facebook, which is better for just talking to ppl you already know).

    I don't like to add people I'm not really friends with but sometimes its unavoidable and it doesn't really matter that much.

    In respect to a single guy having many female friends. I kind of wonder about that myself sometimes. How it looks I mean...

    But in all honesty, its easier to make friends with girls online than it is with guys. Or at least thats been my experience so far. I'd love to have more guy friends in NY, but so far its easier to make guy friends in person. And friends with girls online. And its hard to meet people in this city.

    But I suppose when you're talking about someone with 500-1000 friends its a fairly extreme case.

     
  • At 12:04 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am the girl!

     
  • At 6:25 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Clairissa: I'll check now :D

    Ahmed: Hmm I guess maybe it is easier for a guy to meet a girl online.. I don't know, I'm a girl :S

    Anonymous: Find a hobby.

     
  • At 4:12 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nope, its not anti-social that you don't want to talk to everyone (especially those who appear to only want something from you).

    not so long ago i trimmed my list quite a bit: people who you once shared good conversations with, don't always stay that way. its not that people change, necessarily, its just that our relationships with others don't always remain the same.

    i've found this to be especially true of people you know from online. some remain good friends for years and years; while others fade away after an initially promising start. some just never really take off at all, and you don't feel like making the effort in many of those cases.

    anyway, my view is that its not anti-social or selfish to be selective about who you have on your list. just like, in the physical world, you can choose your friends, the same should apply online:

    you should be able to choose. the fact that communication is so convenient online doesn't mean that you should be open to every single person who wants to communicate.

    (don't be rude though...better to let them go in an unoffensive way :)

     
  • At 12:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    People only like to contact you when they want something from you.
    I don't like people like that.
    They must get lost in traffic.
    Their toes man! Their toes!

    (Ok, some stupid ex-friend of mine smsed me the other day and before that she was a complete B**** to me. I'm doing the mature thing. Ignore. :P )

    But I added you on msn under some obscure e-mail address. I hope you didn't block me. :P

    Oh, and erm...I don't like those "friendship networks".
    They scare me. I do however like ringo for some odd reason. hmm..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home