The Phone Call
It came. The phone call did.
So, to everyone who said I should stay at my current school and accept the Careers position because it might lead to something better -- well it already did! Alhumdulillah :) Because of teachers going on various leaves, there was high rumour that schedules would be switched around for semester 2 - mine was a schedule that was being taken into consideration. And considered it was!
As of Febuary 2nd, I'll be teaching English full-time. I'll be teaching one class of grade 11 college and two classes of grade 11 university. I'm very excited for the college level because that's what I had first semester and I totally loved it. I'm a bit nervous for the university level because I've never dealt with that grade in combination with that level at any of my teaching placements so this will be completely new for me.
At least I wasn't thrown to the grade 9s, I heard they eat you alive.
I have so much planning to do, but I'm going to go take a nap. My brain can't digest all this info right now. Plus, I think I have the stomach flu :S
So, to everyone who said I should stay at my current school and accept the Careers position because it might lead to something better -- well it already did! Alhumdulillah :) Because of teachers going on various leaves, there was high rumour that schedules would be switched around for semester 2 - mine was a schedule that was being taken into consideration. And considered it was!
As of Febuary 2nd, I'll be teaching English full-time. I'll be teaching one class of grade 11 college and two classes of grade 11 university. I'm very excited for the college level because that's what I had first semester and I totally loved it. I'm a bit nervous for the university level because I've never dealt with that grade in combination with that level at any of my teaching placements so this will be completely new for me.
At least I wasn't thrown to the grade 9s, I heard they eat you alive.
I have so much planning to do, but I'm going to go take a nap. My brain can't digest all this info right now. Plus, I think I have the stomach flu :S
19 Comments:
At 2:17 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
CONGRATS HONEY! That is FANTASTIC! I'm glad you got it! I'm not sure what this college/uni deal is but you're gonna do fantastically (is that a word?)!
Stomach flu? Ginger ale, plain crackers and sleep. *hug* Feel better babe!
At 2:36 p.m.,
mezba said…
Yee-haw!
At 2:38 p.m.,
mezba said…
I just realized my last comment made no sense.. but I am happy for you! You sound like a fun teacher. In university class (I am assuming these are the high school students applying for university) these kids will be super nice to you - you get to mark them and write their student recommendation forms, eh?
At 4:31 p.m.,
Asmaa said…
Awesome mashaAllah! Congratulations :)
At 6:11 p.m.,
Ahmed said…
Awesome, Congratulations!
At 11:16 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Congratulations...I'm so happy for you!! Hope you have a great semester! You sound like an awesome teacher...so those students will be lucky to have you! :)
At 12:01 a.m.,
Umar said…
congrats!
At 12:11 a.m.,
M&M said…
CONGRATS! Mashallah.. so in the end all worked out as u wanted eh, nice:)
At 6:39 a.m.,
Abigail S said…
That is sooooo exciting! Congrats on that.
I'm sure you'll do great w/ that university level class. Yay!
At 7:10 a.m.,
sara said…
congrats pilly
At 12:51 p.m.,
'liya said…
Everyone: Thanks :)
I'm feeling much better today. My mom's friend came back from Hajj and brought us zamzam water so I'm like sitting here sipping it slowly while working on report cards - trying to normalize my stomach again and make some use of my last day before heading back.
To clarify, yes, university and college level means those students are planning to head to those places when they graduate. It's like the academic and applied streams that we went through only these are the words used as part of the "new" curriculum. So in real teacher terms, I'd be saying that I'm teaching 3U and 3C English. Make sense? It gets more complicated because there's also Workplace and Apprenticeship streams but those are often combined with the College level.
At 2:20 p.m.,
Ahmed said…
I still like OAC courses :P Although after doing 5 yrs of highschool and a 5 year degree program at waterloo...I feel old compared to other graduates...that did 4 and 4 or even 4 and 3.
At 4:42 p.m.,
'liya said…
Ahmed: I liked OAC too :D
But how could someone do 4 and 3? Is it possible to finish uni in 3 years?
At 8:22 p.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
Aww, congratulations hun! Alhamdulillah. I also hope you feel better soon. Nothing worse than to feel horrible during days when you need to feel your best! And ZamZam water ... aww ... we actually still have ours from when we went to Hajj! I loove it.
Feel better! ♥
At 11:35 p.m.,
Umar said…
*Ahem*
When I was in high school, all the smart people were in the Academic courses, and all the eventual-dropouts took Applied. It was an established fact.
At 12:10 a.m.,
'liya said…
Squeeky: Thanks! How did you make that little heart in your comment?! That's so cute!
Umar: That was an established fact at my school too lol. At all schools probably... but the new curriculum is different (for the most part, though the college courses are still much harder to teach) now students who WANT to go to college don't need to go through the trouble of all the extra work the university course takes - and I like it this way. There's some smart kids in this stream too - they just want something different out of life and they know it early on (which is good for them).
At 2:30 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
CONGRATULATIONS!
CELEBRATIONS!
Ok, Stomach bug sucks, I had it a while ago. It's CRAP CRAP CRAP!
At 3:56 p.m.,
Becky L said…
yeah for your english classes! i hope you have a great group of students.
good luck w/ the start of the new classes!
At 4:24 p.m.,
'liya said…
Fatima & Becky: Thanks! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home