To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

3C versus 3U

I played Tupac's Changes for my 3C class. The lyrics and overall message of the song relate to the themes that shape the course, so playing the song was basically my introduction to our 3 novel studies. They eat, breath, and sleep music, so these types of connections work well for them. It also made them think I'm really 'cool' but whatever, hehe, I could have told them that!

Entertaining my 3Us is a little different. Right now we're reviewing literary devices. My personal favourite - onomatopoeia.

Me: "The word 'buzz' actually sounds like a buzzing sound. Get it? No? Okay, pretend I'm a bee BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ."

So they're still at the stage where they think I'm on drugs. But that's okay! From experience I know that it'll wear off and they'll soon love me. Well maybe not this week since I'm going to give them a pop quiz on literary definitions. They'll regret making fun of my buzzing when they won't even be able to spell the term :D

18 Comments:

  • At 8:35 p.m., Blogger mezba said…

    Um.. call me dumb, but what's a 3U again?

    I hope they remember how many 'z's in buzz. BTW do you call it Zed or Zee?

    Oh, one more thing. Liya, I emailed you a question about York and a teaching program sometime back, I hope you got the email.

     
  • At 9:27 p.m., Blogger Abigail S said…

    I don't think I could spell onamonapia... Well, that there's your proof! Though, I do know what it means... Tell them that dogs don't say "bark," maybe that'll help.

     
  • At 11:18 p.m., Blogger Umar said…

    well, if any of them frequent your blog by any chance, then there goes your pop quiz.

     
  • At 8:15 a.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    you played tupac? wow. i never had that happen in school.

    [is tupac dead?]

     
  • At 5:20 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Mezba: 3U = 11 university
    I call it "zed" that's the Canadian way isn't it? Although when you sing the ABC song I say a "zee"... :S And no, I never got that email, I got your first one but I replied to that. Send again? I love to answer teaching related questions!

    Abigail: Hehe, I can't spell it either - well at the moment I can, but once this unit is over I'll forget :D

    Umar: Good point. I've been thinking of switching my blog to Wordpress to password protect certain posts related to work. I actually set up an account on the weekend but then forgot the password so I have to do that again.

    Becky: Haha, I believe so... though I'm sure some will argue against that. But yeah, I never had teachers who even ever played music for us, at least, not that I remember.

     
  • At 5:36 p.m., Blogger Ahmed said…

    I had totally forgot about onomatopoeia til this post. I always liked oxymorons more...oh and I remember teachers always use to write that I had good use of parallelism and I never knew what they meant :P (I do now of course).

     
  • At 5:39 p.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    I think you're on drugs... :)

    Playing Tupac in class... amazing. Too bad you didn't play something a bit more inspiring like:

    - When We Ride
    - No More Pain
    - Thug Luv (Bones-Thugz-N-Harmony song)

    Now THAT would have gotten you fired because these songs are nice and violent.

     
  • At 5:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:18 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    if u "password protect certain posts related to work" how will I be able to read your posts? :(

     
  • At 7:13 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Ahmed: Oxymorons are cool too! I personally favour hyperboles though :D

    Nauman: You always thought that and nothing I do will ever make you change your mind!

    Anonymous: Okay..

    Faiza: Aww, I'd give you the password! I wouldn't want to lose you (or anyone else) as a reader! But, what I was actually thinking was I'd password protect previous entries - not so much as to hide them from other bloggers, but from maybe students - I mean, I don't think I reveal anything I shouldn't be (work-related), but I don't want to take any chances.

     
  • At 8:32 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    OMG did anyone watch Little Mosque? I thought this episode was the best one yet - especially the halal-oween parts! Hehe.

     
  • At 11:35 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm going to be an olive next year :-)

     
  • At 11:54 p.m., Blogger mezba said…

    Just got back, watched the LMOTP episode and thought it was pretty good - touched base on a lot of issues. Baber is the best of the lot! The next episode with the convert should be funny as well.

    I will email you again. Firstname_lastname@garamChithiDotCom right?

     
  • At 1:39 a.m., Blogger mezba said…

    Alright, email sent. You can delete this comment.

     
  • At 2:34 p.m., Blogger Ahmed said…

    I totally forgot about Hyperbole...alliteration is cool too..and metaphors...similies...hehe done well all are fun.

    I still have to see the latest ep! I haven't been able to find it on youtube yet..... :( maybe i'll look on torrent sites tonight.

     
  • At 5:30 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Miriam: I'm going to be a fig :D

    Mezba: I got your email this time :) I just need to dig through some of my stuff to find what I need and then I'll reply asap.

    Ahmed: You simply MUST watch this episode! The halal-o-ween parts were just too funny!! In my opinion this was actually the best episode yet because I actually found myself laughing out loud (for the Halloween parts).

     
  • At 7:01 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    liya for principal!
    or
    wait
    liya for English HOD.
    hahaha.

    i'm bored.
    your class will surely realise that you are not on drugs soon and actually make sense! yay! :)

     
  • At 10:39 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Fatima: Hehe, I don't think I ever want to be principal or HOD because it's too much work! :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home