3U: The Seating Plan
In most standard classrooms you'll find the desks in neat rows all facing the blackboard. I've never been a big fan of that arrangement, so last week I pushed the desks together into groups of 5. In university we were taught how to create different seating plans according to what it is you want to achieve in your class. There's a million different possibilities but every good teacher knows that these things have to be well thought out. From J.K. to Grade 12, seating should be based on diagnostic assessments, special needs, parent recommendations and blah blah blah. Too much to think about! I decided to lump everything together and I arranged students so that each group had a balance of strong and weak students, a balance of boys and girls, and a balance of loudmouths and mice. And because I'm nice (or at least like to think so), I did this all the while trying to keep friends with friends so that my classroom could actually be an enjoyable place for my students to learn.
They love it.
They love it too much.
Waaayyy too much.
Some of the groups are taking the whole "group" thing a little too far:
I have one group who has created a secret handshake. Now that's all lovely and elementaryschoolish, but their handshake has vulgar sexual connotations. They tell me it doesn't but I know it does. Ms. C isn't so dumb.
I have a group who a secret password. I don't know what it is. I have a feeling I don't want to know (see reasons with group mentioned above).
I have two groups who've declared themselves "enemies." In the spirit of classroom war tactics, they've agreed that no member from the opposing group may cross the invisible line from the teacher's desk to the window - this is the line that separates the two groups. I'm not sure exactly what happens if you accidentally cross the line, again, I'm not sure that I want to know.
I have another group who is organizing classroom "potlucks" within themselves:
Student1: "I'll bring cookies"
Student2: "I'll bring chips"
Student3: "I'll bring candy"
Student4: "I'll bring napkins"
Student5: "I'll bring my leftover lunch" Seriously! You should have seen the spread they had today. If things get out of hand I might have to re-think my food-allowed-in-class-if-you-think-you're-dying-from hunger rule. But then again, they did offer me some tempting bites. Which I accepted.
Due to a slight excess of boys in one 3U class, I have one group of all boys. They sit there and talk about girls.
Due to a slight excess of girls in the other 3U class, I have one group of all girls. They sit there and talk about boys.
I also have a rotating student. This is in my class of 31. Because the student is the odd one out, it's that student's duty to move up her desk to a new group of 5 everyday.
I have one deskless student. He was a late addition to my class so we're still awaiting delivery of a new desk.
I have one student who loves sitting on the floor. Everyday I have to remind that student to go join his group. This is not a zoo, we sit in chairs!
I don't want to change the room back to the original plan because I love having all the space to walk around and it makes our already large classroom look even more spacious. The students actually get so much more work done this way, they don't have to twist and turn all over the place to chat and I don't have to squeeze through the aisles to take my random walks. However, I can't help but feel that all this is kinda weird. I'm not complaining, it's working out really well, but I don't think I ever experienced these things during my own high school years. Maybe it's the group thing? I always had rows in English class. Anyone else?
P.S If you have no idea what I'm talking about and don't think creating a seating plan can be that hard then read THIS.
They love it.
They love it too much.
Waaayyy too much.
Some of the groups are taking the whole "group" thing a little too far:
I have one group who has created a secret handshake. Now that's all lovely and elementaryschoolish, but their handshake has vulgar sexual connotations. They tell me it doesn't but I know it does. Ms. C isn't so dumb.
I have a group who a secret password. I don't know what it is. I have a feeling I don't want to know (see reasons with group mentioned above).
I have two groups who've declared themselves "enemies." In the spirit of classroom war tactics, they've agreed that no member from the opposing group may cross the invisible line from the teacher's desk to the window - this is the line that separates the two groups. I'm not sure exactly what happens if you accidentally cross the line, again, I'm not sure that I want to know.
I have another group who is organizing classroom "potlucks" within themselves:
Student1: "I'll bring cookies"
Student2: "I'll bring chips"
Student3: "I'll bring candy"
Student4: "I'll bring napkins"
Student5: "I'll bring my leftover lunch" Seriously! You should have seen the spread they had today. If things get out of hand I might have to re-think my food-allowed-in-class-if-you-think-you're-dying-from hunger rule. But then again, they did offer me some tempting bites. Which I accepted.
Due to a slight excess of boys in one 3U class, I have one group of all boys. They sit there and talk about girls.
Due to a slight excess of girls in the other 3U class, I have one group of all girls. They sit there and talk about boys.
I also have a rotating student. This is in my class of 31. Because the student is the odd one out, it's that student's duty to move up her desk to a new group of 5 everyday.
I have one deskless student. He was a late addition to my class so we're still awaiting delivery of a new desk.
I have one student who loves sitting on the floor. Everyday I have to remind that student to go join his group. This is not a zoo, we sit in chairs!
I don't want to change the room back to the original plan because I love having all the space to walk around and it makes our already large classroom look even more spacious. The students actually get so much more work done this way, they don't have to twist and turn all over the place to chat and I don't have to squeeze through the aisles to take my random walks. However, I can't help but feel that all this is kinda weird. I'm not complaining, it's working out really well, but I don't think I ever experienced these things during my own high school years. Maybe it's the group thing? I always had rows in English class. Anyone else?
P.S If you have no idea what I'm talking about and don't think creating a seating plan can be that hard then read THIS.
13 Comments:
At 12:40 a.m.,
Abigail S said…
Oh, I love it! You should keep it like that! I remember having classes set in "small group" settings... Oh, the memories...
As long as they don't go way overboard, I say keep it. It'll make learning fun for them.
At 1:44 a.m.,
Ahmed said…
Hmm...from what I remember...
grade 9 - single rows
grade 10 - double row (2 desks together)
grade 11 - rows I think...
grade 12 - tables, 2 at each table
oac - rows
I prefer groups.
The kid on the floor is odd.
I feel bad for the kid constantly rotating...hopefully its not a shy kid cause that kind of thing would be rough.
At 1:59 a.m.,
Umar said…
whoa... talk about keeners.
We used to do that sorta thing in grade 5. We gave our groups a name and we'd get points based on different academic things. The group with the most points at the end of the semester won something.
But yeah... that was elementary school -- tell your kids to grow up!
At 1:32 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
sounds great.....theo nly class i remember having groups was in sociology oac........where does the kid whos waiting for a desk sit??....maybe u should give him a desk and let the one who likes to sit on the floor sit on the floor even though that's kinda weird...
At 5:55 p.m.,
'liya said…
Abigail: Today one student in the "potluck group" brought in 5 cans of Coke for her group members and herself... is that going overboard :S I only wonder how she managed to carry them in her backpack with my heavy course textbook! But I've ruled that they can only have their "potlucks" once a week, so not to go overboard. And that they have to bring something for me :D
Ahmed: No it's not a shy kid that's rotating - I'd never do that, it might scar the student for life! We kinda held a vote to see who that student would be and a nice student volunteered so that solved that nicely. However I'll have to figure something out about that because we're doing group assignments soon... hmmm.
Umar: LOL.. I told them to act their age but I think they're still excited about the fact that they actually get to be in groups. Do I want the excitement to wear off? I don't know :S
Aman: Oh yeah, I think we had groups in Sociology too, but those were BIG desks right? These are little individual ones. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen big desks, at least of the size that we had, at my school now :S
At 9:05 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
lol....i dun remember how my seating arrangements were..i think it was a combination of both esp when i was in school here...i remember we had physics in groups because we all were stupid when it came to that subject and we needed as much help as we could get..lol...and thank god i only had to do 4 yrs of high school...high school wasnt that fun....
At 10:12 p.m.,
mezba said…
woaH! I didn't know teachers had to have seating plans - I thought students just sat wherever they wanted.
At 12:24 a.m.,
Abigail S said…
Once a week potlucks sounds good! That's not overboard... in my opinion, at least!
At 5:06 p.m.,
'liya said…
Samia: Hehe, taking physics is enough to make anyone hate high school! If you had stayed here and taken 5 years I know you would have loved it - my last year was the best :D
Mezba: That's in classes for teachers who don't care. Or in cases where the teacher has been in the profession for years and knows exactly what he/she is doing. I'm neither of those!
Abigail: I think so too. I wonder what food I'll be fed next week :D
At 11:05 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At 12:18 a.m.,
bent abdelwahab said…
What about forming new groups on a monthly basis?
My son's teacher does to increase communication and social skills of students. And so that a group will not stick to a certain pattern.
At 1:30 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Good. It gave me an idea to try out when the Prof is out next time. <<:)
At 6:08 p.m.,
'liya said…
W: A good idea, but my groups are working on group assignments that last longer than a month so they need to sit together. I might change the groups up after the March break though. They seem quite happy for now anyway :)
Aliana: :D
Post a Comment
<< Home