To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Hot Nerds



The photo above is of Samia and me at my first grade birthday party. I'm the one in the polka dots looking off to the side (eyeing my stack of presents like a greedy little child), while Samia in pink, shows much teeth to the camera :D

We were both up late on MSN last night reminiscing about our childhood. We spent most of it together and have some pretty awesome memories. During our conversation down memory lane, we were discussing how nerdy we were back in the day. During our grade school years both of us used to spend hours at the local library taking out the maximum number of books, reading book after book, writing, reading, writing, reading, reading, reading, reading, and competing to do our best in school. And did I mention reading? We were smart kids, we both did extremely well in school even long after, but at the same time as our brains were in much activity... we were total girls. We loved makeup, we loved fashion, and most of all, we loved to make ourselves pretty. And nothing much has changed since then.

I've always been a perfectionist. I've never been happy with just an A. Similarly, I've never been happy when I feel my clothes don't match. As Samia pointed out, back then we weren't just nerds, we were hot nerds - we had the best of both worlds, brains, and the ability to look good at the same time.

I like that. Hot nerds. Why hasn't that phrase been invented before? It's perfect! It can apply to the ideal mate on either side and it's not offensive in any way. No guy in their right mind would want a girl just because she's intelligent but looks like a cow. And no guy would want to marry a girl if she's drop dead gorgeous but has a brain of fluff. The same thinking goes for girls. I'm attracted to V not only because his gorgeous body makes me want to jump him (hehe don't worry I can control myself), but also because he's one smart cookie. So is it possible for a guy to be a hot nerd too? I welcome your thoughts on the matter! And on that note, I want to give a big shout out to V to congratulate him on the 91% he got on his kinesiology exam. And I also want to publicly acknowledge the fact that after all these years, his big beautiful eyes still have the power to make me melt.

27 Comments:

  • At 12:31 a.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    The perfect balance in any spouse is composed of brains and beauty... but one thing you missed mentioning: heart. For all great things in life, it's heart that carries a person and embodies what they believe.

     
  • At 12:48 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nauman: Since I'm chatting with you right now on MSN about how you think your comment was, to quote you, "good and deep," you know very well I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT HEART/ morals/ values etc. Obviously you need that too! I'm just talking about how HOT NERD = Beauty + brains. Refer to the title!

     
  • At 12:48 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    To quote Nauman again:

    Day 48: The Art of War... says:
    I think I come across as being kinda a philosopher on blogs.

    *Sigh* what a nut :D

     
  • At 1:26 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hot Nerds are cool. "Hot Geeks" are even better.

    We fix your computer, we even have friends who can hook you up with illegal cable.

    We also have a steady job and pretty much no social life so we will be devoted to you for lavishing that much attention to us. Plus lack of social life = more time in the gym = hot body. There's only so much Counter Strike one can play.

    Also, we are likely to spend more time at work therefore are probably earning more moolah.

    All in all, we finally rule the world as we had planned it all along.

     
  • At 5:50 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    aww both of u are so cute! But your pic doesnt look like you look now. ;) Does that make sense? But seriously, it doesn't! lol It's so good to have a friend who you have so much in common and who you grew up with. I think I recognise Samia; did her mom used to work at the Bay?

     
  • At 7:35 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we are completely and utterly adorable!!....i loved that dress when i was little..it reminded me of frosting on a cake...yummyyy...and im glad we had the opportunity to reminisce about the good ol' days...its nice to have a friend that you've shared so much history with...and grew up with....i remember being the "honorary" member of your family and taking family vacations with you!!..lol...well you must send me that picture...i love it...and i am proud to be a Hot Nerd with you Aaliya...we must teach all the youngins to follow in our path...=)....aww...to be in Canada again would be nice....but dun you worry when i do come we surely will make time to create new memories!...and to Faiza: yes my mom did work at The Bay...

     
  • At 8:56 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Haleem: A "hot geek" suddenly does sound more appealing than a hot nerd now ! LOL I don't know how V would react to being called either, I assume he hasn't read my blog yet. Either way, I doubt he'd be able to rule the world. I already decided I'm going to rule it first :D

    Faiza: Yeah I know it doesn't look like me, .. my hair got darker, my skin got darker, and well actually I still eye things that I want in that way though lol. So do you actually know Samia?? Because how the hell do you remember that her mom used to work there?? - even I had forgotten that! Man, you have a good memory!

    Samia: I loved that dress of yours too, and I think you also had a yellow one that was similar - am I right? You know what else that reminsd me of those headbands you used to have - the plastic ones with the butterflies (or was it a bow?) - I saw something similar to that in Le Chateau the other day and thought of you :) I'll send you a copy of the picture and hey, maybe you can show it to you know who, just to remind that person of your cuteness... :D

     
  • At 8:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To Samia: OMG...I remember when I was little, my mom and your mom used to talk to each other so much whenever we went to the Bay! I cant believe I remembered you from a baby picture. You probably dont remember me...since I was so young then. But I remember your mom saying you were going to be a Dentist...even when u were so young! lol...r u a Dentist? I remember my mom liked you so much and would tell me to be like you...lol
    You are probably laughing right now, but its a true story! lol

     
  • At 9:02 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LIYA: lol...I know it's weird that I remember..but I dunno...I saw the pic and I realised I knew who it was! I dont think Samia knows who I am...lol...since Ive only met her mom and her once when I was like 6 or 7, and she was older than me. Its shocking, I KNOW! lol..But I guess its right how the song says, "its a small world afterall" ... lol

     
  • At 12:44 a.m., Blogger mezba said…

    I prefer hot nerds myself. Preferably with sleek glasses and straight hair.

    But there is the danger they could be smarter than me ... hmmm... have to think about this "hot nerd" thing more carefully.

     
  • At 11:21 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I did have those headbands with the butterflies on them...actually up until recently i had them but i had to part ways since now i prolly wouldnt be wearing them....and i did have a yellow dress like that too!!...you also have a good memory!....and maybe i can entice that "someone" with this picture and be like "jus think how cute our kids could look"..LOL....and Faiza:..wow you do have a good memory i dont remember anything really from when i was 6...but i was going to be a dentist..but that kinda fell through after i realized id be about 30 when i graduated...lol...and im sorry to say that i dont remember you...im having trouble remembering the names of some of my friends from elementary school...=(....

     
  • At 3:24 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HELP!
    I have the sudden urge to pinch cheeks!

    Yes, nerds and g33ks are hot.
    I've never ever fell for anyone that wasn't attempting to further their education.
    And I wouldn't .. because I like guys with brains! :) lol..

    I'm such a nut...let some guy pitch up and tell me, "well, i'm doing physics" or "I'm studying ancient civilisations" and I'll say, "really? tell me more..." and I'll pull up a chair.

    lol.

     
  • At 4:16 p.m., Blogger Abigail S said…

    "Hot Nerds," huh? Cool way to phrase it.

    I think my dream guy would be that. I want a guy who's smarter than me. I once dated a guy who wasn't very smart. I'd take his "love letters" and correct them for grammar. That kind of clued me in that he wasn't the guy for me!

     
  • At 6:57 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Faiza: Wow, you even remember that Samia wanted to be a dentist - that's crazy! What a small world.. imagine, that you'd talk to her again... on my blog! (you do know she doesn't live in Canada anymore right?) Well, I have to admit you have one reallyyyy good memory :D

    Mezba: You could always take a class with her and see who gets the higher mark to see who's smarter... although one of you could spend most of the time copying of the other and still get the higher mark but that wouldn't be an accurate reflection of one's "smartness"... but I'm only saying this from experience so what do I know! :D (sorry V!)

    Samia: You parted with them!? I would have kept them - or given them to me! I remember the yellow dress because I think you wore it to one of my other birthday parties lol. Man, we sure had a lot of birthday parties!

    Fatima: I agree, I could never go for someone who hasn't furthered their education.. guys with brains are the best (especially when they have sexy glasses)!

    Abigail: LOL @ correcting his love letters!! Did you used to put a sticker and write "good effort" at the top? Hehe, sorry, I couldn't resist that! - I spent a long time today doing just that for essays. Yes I give stickers even though I teach high school :D

     
  • At 10:35 a.m., Blogger nat said…

    'liya I had the same dress when I was little too!!! Thats totally absurd, I guess we have the same taste in fashion :D I remember when I was younger my mother and Suna's mom would dress us up like twins. Now we hardly talk any more :( but when we do, no matter how much time has passed, it feels like we just click.

     
  • At 12:24 p.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    your comment about getting books out of the library reminded me of something...

    when i was in 5th grade, my sister and friend and i would actually skip recess and go to the library and/or music room to help them out.

    how weird were we!

     
  • At 8:01 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmmm if you were such a nerd wouldnt you be wearing glasses instead of contacts! Also, now that I look at this post I think that your bragging more than anything else!

     
  • At 8:16 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nuffy: Really, you had the same polka dot dress?! I remember my mom used to make me wear it a lot but I don't know if I liked it :S When you do talk to Suna, please tell her I say hi. I haven't talked to her in SO long. I really should call her (and you! - oh yeah, my mom told me you called a few weeks ago - and I still need to call you back - but in case you were wondering, I did get the message - and I've been meaning to!).

    Becky: Hehe, sounds like me! I was actually part of a library helpers club lol. And I remember in middle school, Samia, and one of my other friends and I used to stay indoors to practise our instruments instead of going out for lunch recess. Crazy! (and it didn't make me any better at the flute lol).

    Agent: You always think I'm bragging, that isn't new! Don't be jealous of mine and Samia's Hot Nerd status - I included you in the club! And I'm wearing my glasses right now. Plus...I wear them sometimes!

     
  • At 9:09 p.m., Blogger Squeeky said…

    Assalaamu Alaikum :)

    That is a CUTE picture, masha'Allah, awww. It's so great to have pictures like that with someone you are still very close to. I have a picture of my cousin and myself as babies, sprawled on a couch haha

     
  • At 10:08 p.m., Blogger Abigail S said…

    *blush* In high school, Becky and I were part of the Library Club... I was the Pres, Becky was the Vice Pres.

    Oh, and I added those ?'s you suggested to my post. All for you!

     
  • At 11:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    cuuuuute!

     
  • At 10:01 a.m., Blogger mezba said…

    but I'm only saying this from experience so what do I know!

    HAHA ..LOL!

     
  • At 11:50 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Squeeky: :D

    Abigail: LOL your library club sounds much more organized than ours, I don't think we had positions!

    Anonymous: :D

    Mezba: We took our natural science course together in uni and he did most of the work whil I sat beside him and copied all the math questions I didn't understand. He got an A, I got an A+ :D

     
  • At 10:08 p.m., Blogger Nabeel said…

    .. what a great smile .. :)
    Saima and "I" .. not Saima and "me" :)

     
  • At 10:21 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nabeel: Thank you! But it's Samia, not Saima, and it's "Samia and me" not "Samia and I." You wouldn't say "The photo above is of I at my first grade birthday party." If you're unsure, always remove the first object/person to see if the sentence makes sense :D

    This is a common mistake in English, and this is just a lowly blog so I don't care much for mistakes, but I AM an English teacher so if you pick on my grammar I'll have a comeback lol.

     
  • At 3:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're not the first person to coin this phrase.

     
  • At 7:23 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Murphy: I didn't say I created it, but I guess it's not new anyway since you linked to 867 different possibilities lol. Well, glad others out there have already discovered the perfect balance :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home