Laughter - The Best Medicine :)
Anwar is stringing woodenbeads on a leather thong. He has 12 beads of various sizes and will tie a knot in the thong when he has put them all onto it. How many different necklaces could he make?
I think we could all use a little more happiness, laughter and smiling in our lives rather than picking at each other till death for the littlest things.
On Tuesday I'll be receiving my first batch of narrative essays. That's 90 essays. 90-possibly-boring-essays about how someone's puppy died and how that impacted their life or how someone moved to a new school and made a new friend. I told my students, if their essays make me laugh (for the right reasons), I won't red pen them to death. Don't tell me about your pet dog. Tell me about your pet dragon. Don't tell me about making new friends with people at your new school, tell me about making friends with your shadow. Or a sock. Or, or, - you get the point.
There's two blogs that I find incredibly hilarious at the moment. While I don't know either of these two bloggers personally, I find their honesty very telling. I'll let the work of these two bloggers speak for themselves. Please check out this post from Captain Chaos, and this post from A Bengali in TO - both are two of my personal favourites.
Smile. Laugh. Be nice.
The above was a math question my sister was assigned from her textbook. I don't care, call me immature, call what I say "incredibly idiotic," but it made me laugh like crazy!
I think we could all use a little more happiness, laughter and smiling in our lives rather than picking at each other till death for the littlest things.
On Tuesday I'll be receiving my first batch of narrative essays. That's 90 essays. 90-possibly-boring-essays about how someone's puppy died and how that impacted their life or how someone moved to a new school and made a new friend. I told my students, if their essays make me laugh (for the right reasons), I won't red pen them to death. Don't tell me about your pet dog. Tell me about your pet dragon. Don't tell me about making new friends with people at your new school, tell me about making friends with your shadow. Or a sock. Or, or, - you get the point.
There's two blogs that I find incredibly hilarious at the moment. While I don't know either of these two bloggers personally, I find their honesty very telling. I'll let the work of these two bloggers speak for themselves. Please check out this post from Captain Chaos, and this post from A Bengali in TO - both are two of my personal favourites.
Smile. Laugh. Be nice.
The above was a math question my sister was assigned from her textbook. I don't care, call me immature, call what I say "incredibly idiotic," but it made me laugh like crazy!
19 Comments:
At 11:13 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
LOL that first one was jokes!! Boy I know how that feels!
At 11:15 p.m.,
'liya said…
V: I hate you!!! LOL
At 11:16 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry love just having a little fun
At 11:23 p.m.,
Abigail S said…
I looked at those other blogs you mentioned. The Captain Chaos one was hillarious! I loved it! The Bengali one was also a good one to read.
And yes- we all can use a little more laughter! Thanks!
At 11:26 p.m.,
'liya said…
Anonymous/V: Since when are you allowed fun?! Hehe, just kidding! I love you (a little bit).
Abigail: Hehe, no problem, I thought they were pretty great stories!
At 12:59 p.m.,
mezba said…
Boy you are a smart teacher, how do you know when an anon is V and when it's just another anon? lol
Thanks for the link. You should put up some of your best posts on your sidebar, my favorite has to be the essays students submitted.
At 3:27 p.m.,
Ahmed said…
haha funny stuff!
I also finally saw ep 4 of lil mosque. hehe Halal-o-ween. I'm so going to remember that for this year. Baber was so funny. I haven't picked a favourite character yet but he just might be it.
At 8:40 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Hi
Thanks for the plug.
You are a pretty good blogger yourself.
At 9:28 p.m.,
'liya said…
Mezba: Haha, I know it's him because he sends me a message on MSN saying "I just put an anonymous comment on your blog," hehe, in which he's purposefully trying to make my mad! - see how guys crave attention too!
Ahmed: I think I like him best now too because the way he was scaring those little kids as a "terrorist" was just too funny!
Haleem: Thanks, like I said before, it was pretty funny stuff, and well obviously V (anonymous) got a kick out of it :)
At 10:24 p.m.,
Becky L said…
i hope those essays are okay. Hopefully you'll laugh, not be bored to tears
At 10:46 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
lolll the math q made me laugh too, so don't worry it isn't idiotic... thnx the links to the funny stories, the first was quite hilarious, and the second was thought provoking..
At 10:49 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
o, and u should do a unit on humour/satire with your students. would be much fun!
At 11:32 p.m.,
Asmaa said…
Nice to know you think my blog post was idiotic. A sentiment shared by many, I'm sure.
There are different opinions that exist. I'd be glad if mine were respected as I respect your views, too.
"Be nice"
At 11:47 p.m.,
'liya said…
Becky: I hope so too! I gave them a reminder about making Ms. C laugh again today :) I also mentioned that if you're not the funny type, write a narrative about something sweet that'll make me go "awww" not "argh!" lol.
Anonymous: There actually is a satire unit and it's coming up soon - I can't wait!
Asmaa: Don't jump to conclusions. I said "call what I say 'incredibly idiotic'" - in relation to you saying that you found the comments posted "incredibly idiotic" - which is also why I linked to your comments and not your blog. Yes, be nice.
At 12:51 a.m.,
thethinker said…
Whenever my class writes essays for English, we never think about how the teacher actually feels having to grade each and every one of them. But, we try to keep it interesting for her (nothing about puppies).
At 1:46 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At 10:38 p.m.,
'liya said…
The Thinker: Eek! As high school student reading my blog :S
At 11:11 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
why did u delete my comment? it's true
At 9:00 p.m.,
'liya said…
Anonymous: Maybe so, but I'm not mean like that and wouldn't want to intentionally hurt someone's feelings :) SOrry, I guess it must be the teacher in me!
Post a Comment
<< Home